Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Voile Dual Height Climbing Heel issues?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:13 pm 

I totally destroyed my base plate this weekend also during a normal Tour. I also contacted Voile and they said they're undergoing a redesign on these. Apparently they want to hold off sending replacements now until this is complete. A heads up in case this happens to anyone else. I wonder if the "new parts" is the redesign? Hmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:30 pm 

My high heels keep collapsing making them unusable. I am still using the lowers as I vastly prefer the reverse setup for easy lifting with a ski pole compared to the original risers.

Looking forward to the fix, voile.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:57 pm 

quinn wrote:
I totally destroyed my base plate this weekend also during a normal Tour. I also contacted Voile and they said they're undergoing a redesign on these. Apparently they want to hold off sending replacements now until this is complete. A heads up in case this happens to anyone else. I wonder if the "new parts" is the redesign? Hmmm.
They need to create a new mold so the injection point of the plastic is not in a location susceptible to stress (as it is now).
So its a new mold and then replacement units, rather than sending out more of the same...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 am 

Snurfer wrote:
quinn wrote:
They need to create a new mold so the injection point of the plastic is not in a location susceptible to stress (as it is now).
So its a new mold and then replacement units, rather than sending out more of the same...

Any eta on this? My riser broke on saturday 1/3 the way up my line :x :banghead: :soapbox:

Obviously they didnt test these things, I had 2 days on them before the high heel started collapsing, and less than ten before total failure.
:soapbox:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:23 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Snurfer wrote:
quinn wrote:

Any eta on this? My riser broke on saturday 1/3 the way up my line :x :banghead: :soapbox:

Obviously they didnt test these things, I had 2 days on them before the high heel started collapsing, and less than ten before total failure.
:soapbox:

I've been told the issue with the dual risers is due to using bindings other than Voile. However, the new redesign should fix the issue. Just let them know yours broke and they'll send you new ones. Still waiting on mine but hopefully they'll send them out soon. Currently sending in pictures to Voile of how the old dual wires interface with Karakorum bindings. Hopefully this does not mean that they are still working on the solution :scratch: .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm 

Guys
I don't think it is a binding issue.
I used both Ign2 and Light Rail and they gave way on both.
I have changed over to G3 for the short term and have 4 sets returned to me from guys in Oz that fitted Voile that have failed.
I have received 2 sets of replacements that worked for 1 day but failed again.
Hope they can come up with a stronger base mould.
It could have something to do with the angles and the load testing.

I have faith that Voile will come up with a fix and send out replacements to us when sorted :thumpsup:

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:37 pm 

Hey Guys,

I am going to make an official post on the Voile site. But here are the basics.

The fix for the Voile Splitboard Dual Height Climbing Heels:

Remove the grey urethane/rubber tubing from both climbing wires.

I know it may sound crazy, but it's the flaw in the design. We have tested this over the last weeks and it's the solution to prevent the climbing wires from folding and breaking the heel pad.

The rubber tubing eliminates any friction against the binding baseplate and causes the wire to rock back and forth until it folds and the heel pad fails.

I will have more detail on the Voile site shortly. www.voile-usa.com

Any questions or if you need replacement parts contact Voile at 801-973-8622 or info@voile-usa.com We will ship immediately at no cost.

So very sorry for the hassle.

Dave Grissom
Voile-USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 am 

Thanks for the response Dave.

My replacements are in the mail now slated for delivery today (thanks for the tracking on the warranty replacement).

Looking forward to giving these another shot after removing the plastic sleeves.

Keep up the good work and solid customer service!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 pm 

VOILE RULES!

I called them earlier in the week to describe a single broken dual heel lift

in the mail today was a replacement set, sleeves already removed

THANKS VOILE for taking care of your people and the splitboard community

:thatrocks: :thatrocks: :thatrocks:

Tap stoked.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 am 

Agree with TAP - VOILE does rule in terms of customer service. I broke a dual height plate earlier in the season (and thought it was my own fault for stomping too hard at an off angle), called them and they had a set of replacements in the mail with no charge as soon as they were available. Additionally, they have sent me several replacement parts (pole sections) that I've broken at my own fault again free of charge. Bottom line, they offer great customer service and seem to work hard to keep their customers happy and riding. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am 

I also received a new set of climbing bars. Thanks Voile. Time will tell if metal on metal contact will be a problem, I know it wasnt pretty on my Spark Ignitions...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:23 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
I also received a new set of climbing bars. Thanks Voile. Time will tell if metal on metal contact will be a problem, I know it wasnt pretty on my Spark Ignitions...

I was wondering about that too. a lot of people have been saying that they use the g3 wires(no rubber coating) with no problems. so i guess it should work, even if it is really clanky...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:35 pm 

I think there must be more than one issue here. I ran a set of the dual-height wires when they first came out last spring, for a few tours. At that time I was using Karakoram prototypes, and for my particular setup, the bindings were not touching the wires at all when the wires were folded down (I know that's different from the issue Dave described, he's talking about the problem happening when the wire is up and in use). If I had my binding set any smaller though, they would have hit the front wire. In any case, I didn't have any cracking issues with that set.

Then I got another set for a new board a couple weeks ago, and one of the pads cracked right as I screwed it onto the board. No binding on the board, and the wires hadn't been used at all. I think the problem in this case is that the front hole in the pad is just to close to the edge; the material is so thin that it's prone to cracking just from tightening the screw. Here's a pic:

I've used this set for a couple tours as-is, and haven't had any additional problems. In this case I've been using Ignition bindings.

My Ignitions have some huge scratch/wear marks from my old climbing wires from when the tubing started to wear out and expose the bear metal, so I'd prefer not to have the "solution" to be simply removing the tubing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next