Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skin savers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 pm 

Seems to me there is something you could just pick up at home depot for 5 bucks that will do the trick. What do you guys use instead of buying produced skin savers?

Post subject: Re: Skin savers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 am 

Assuming you've been using yours without savers...? They do make it easier to pull apart but I noticed they leave some black residue on the glue and they just add more bulk to an already large pair of skins. Not to mention the extra hassle in the wind! I would go without, unless you're having real issue pulling them apart. Sorry I can't help ya on a more economical way to buy these.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 am 

I am throwing away my skin savers from the next skins I get in a couple of weeks. You are more than welcome to those if you can wait for them. I am going back to using a nylon strip like the old skins used to have. Just think they will last longer that way and stay clean longer. The new skin savers worked great the first couple of uses and was a good idea, they just used the wrong materials to make them out of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 am 

If you have an old school hardware store nearby they might have the cheat sheet material in bulk. My store has it for cheap. You are better off going to the fabric store and spending a buck on a couple strips(1.5"-2") of sport nylon and placing that down the center of the skin. They used to come this way from Voile, now its a user mod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm 

mountainbikeak wrote:
...they leave some black residue on the glue and they just add more bulk to an already large pair of skins...

I quit using mine for this very reason. I'm into my third season on this set of skins and the glue has reached a point now where pulling the skins apart from themselves isn't nearly as tortuous as it was when they were new so the "skin saver" (why do they call them that anyway?) is not necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 am 

Try the 'gutter guard' product, black plastic mesh 6" wide. 20-25 feet is $5 at your building supply. Skins easily removed no residue. They're a little prickly on the edges.

http://www.gutterguardsfaq.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 am 

^ Is that gutter guard stuff a coated woven thread or solid plastic?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 am 

A group of us have used the gutter guard for two season now and it works great. It is plastic and we cut it to fit half a skin and then fold it over. I duct tape the edges as they are sharp. The duct tape sometimes comes off sometimes. If you dipped the sides in flexible glue or plastic they would be perfect, but for $10 you can't complain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 am 

rughty wrote:
^ Is that gutter guard stuff a coated woven thread or solid plastic?

Solid.

I've had my skins rolled up and tucked in a bag since the spring, came apart last week perfectly. If we get some snow out here I may even get to use them. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:07 pm 

Bit later , but might be helpful also for others. I've been using "intelligent HIDE bag" for storing my skins for 2 years and it works 100% http://www.splitboards.eu/home-page-products/skinny-der-intelligente-fellsack.html. The only thing is I didn't spend for it 29 euros, but made it at home. Went to the shop and bought the cheapest jogging pants they had (6 euros) made of 100% polyester (microfiber). Since then I've never had any troubles with skins and I'm pulling them apart with 2 fingers:) You just need to do 1 cut +1 sewing (it takes 10 minutes) and you get the bag for skins + "beautiful" shorts extra:) 'll try add some pics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:29 pm 

so basically you're folding the skins in 1/3 lengths about the pant leg. i assume you need two pant legs for a set of skins, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:36 pm 

iron wrote:
so basically you're folding the skins in 1/3 lengths about the pant leg. i assume you need two pant legs for a set of skins, yes?

The handy thing about pants is that they come with 2 legs...and you get a bonus pair of shorts out of the deal! :mrgreen:

I actually made a bunch of these for Christmas last year and gave them to all of my friends but instead of running pants I bought "party nylon" from a fabric store and my sister helped me sew them into rectangular sacks. Just make sure they are big enough to easily fit a gloved hand into.