Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with new splitboard purchase
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:20 am 

New here and glad I found this site. I've been looking into splitboards for the last few months now and I'm ready to actually buy one now. Problem is, I keep going back and forth on which one I will actually get. We all know they aren't cheap so I'd like to get it right the first time.

Basically it's down to all the big players

Jones solution
Burton freebird
Prior AMF
Venture Helix
Venture Zephyr (If I was to go with Venture I'm leaning towards the Zephyr over the Helix)

I'm not a pro by any means but want to get into more backcountry. I only snowboard a handful of times a year currently so looking for a good all around board, something that can be taken to the backcountry but will also be good for a day at a local resort (groomed, powder, mixed). I don't do a lot of freestyle but I would like to get a little better in that area.

Prior AMF is probably my #1 choice right now, mainly because I like how you can choose all the different graphics, but obviously that isn't the deciding factor.

Thanks for your help and hopefully I'll be ordering one up here in the next week!!

Post subject: Re: Help with new splitboard purchase
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 am 

Do you have avalanche gear?

Where do you ride? Rockies? California? Washington? Canukistan? Vermont?

What do you ride in-bounds?

Powder? Spring Corn? Mountaineering?

If you plan to ride your split in-bounds then split specific bindings are a must for you. (Karakoram, Spark Blaze, Voile Light rail)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:28 am 

I don't have any avalanche gear myself yet, but all my friends do.
I will mostly be riding in Oregon/Washington, mostly mountaineering. I have some but little riding in powder but would like to do more.

So far most of my riding has been at Timberline or Meadows (local resorts) on Mt. Hood, riding green, blue and little black. hopefully heading to whistler soon as well.

Those Karakoram bindings look like a sweet setup, Ive heard of the other two but not the Karakoram's yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:34 am 

Avalanche gear first. It doesn't help you or your friends if they have it and you don't.

You should also be able to ride black terrain in any conditions before you go into the BC, especially if you want to do snowboard mountaineering.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:51 pm 

I meant to say they have gear for them and myself. So I'd be covered there until I get my own.

As for experience, I have a few routes in mind already and for what I would be starting out on the difficulty is less than I can handle. Im not going to go into any conditions I know I'm not ready for, but thanks for the info on that. I know I have things to work on (and just time out there) before I try a lot of things. But I'll start with what I know I can do and get better slowly.

With that being said, does that help minimize down my choices at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:42 pm 

If your aim is to do primarily peak descents I would say no to the Prior AMF or Venture Helix. That is just my opinion though. Do you really need a rockered twin for descents that will likely have every condition imaginable? You be better off with something more suited to this, like the other selections you have listed. Something on the stiffer side will help you bust through crud, where as a more freestyle oriented board will be on the chattery side.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm 

Yeah you have a good point. I spoke with Prior as well and if I went that route they suggested their Khyber. I liked how he explained that board and it "sounded" perfect so I think I'm leaning towards the khyber. and like I said before, the choice of graphics is a plus, and includes the voile kit and skins. I know some other companies include that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:49 pm 

Don't ignore the Never Summer Summit....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm 

I have a Khyber that I bought this year plus a BC split.

I really like the Khyber and it's the board I use most mid-season days here in the Wasatch. However, on firm snow days the BC split gets the nod. The Khyber definitely out-performs it in steep trees and chutes with soft snow though, it just depends on what you see yourself riding the most of.

I spend a lot of days on firm snow and tend to push the ski season out into July most years. If I could only have one board it would probably be the BC split based on how much spring riding I do. Just something to think about.

If you tend to mainly ski soft snow, I'd suggest the Khyber though.

The Neversummer looks super nice, I've heard great things about it but haven't ridden one myself.

Don't neglect to look at the Venture Storm or Zephyr, both quality products from a good company.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 pm 

Thanks, It's good to hear comparisons especially since you've experienced both.

If I go to a local resort chances are it will mostly be more firm ground. for the backcountry type stuff I would expect more powder but but not like 6' of powder, at least not yet until I get better. But then again, i have a 4 year old Burton solid I could always ride for the resort and save the Khyber for the BC. One of these days I'll replace the Burton as well, but priority is a split board, then of course new boots/bindings.

Since the Khyber would primarily be for backcountry I think that would still be a better choice for me over the Prior BC.

I looked at neversummer but I don't want a pintail board. Although everything I've read about it is fantastic! The venture Zephyr is still a possibility as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 pm 

The Khyber is a pintail too. Just fyi.

I wouldn't shy away from pintail makes anyway. They float so much better and at least with the Neversummer Summit, it's perfectly capable on hard pack and icy conditions. It's a big mountain gun no doubt. No experience on the recent models of the Khyber but it should be a similarly suitable ride. Though personally I doubt it's as good as the Neversummer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm 

excuse my stupidity but I may have been thinking of something else. I'm catching up on the "lingo". I was thinking the pintail was the more pointy tips on the ends and not as evenly rounded.
Probably a stupid reason, because I know my reason doesn't relate to performance, but there is just something about the look of them that bothers me haha.

Prior sounds like a great company with great products but I do agree (from what I've read) that nothing touches performance/quality etc as a whole more than Neversummer.

I will need to find a local shop that might carry one.

[EDIT]: Oh, I will use Prior as an example but I'm sure this will apply to most other companies.
They include the voile kit and skins with their boards. For $50 less they take a few things out of the voile kit. If I went with the karakoram then I wouldn't need any of that correct? except for the skins. Should I see if they will just sell the board or just choose the -$50 voile kit option?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm 

I have both a Prior Backcountry 165 Hybird Rocker and a Venture Zephyr 164 Rocker

Previous to these boards I had a Prior Backcountry 161 and then a DIY GNU Temple Cummins..

I love both boards, but I like the Venture the most.

The Prior rides great but the Hybird rocker just isn't as good as the tip/tail only rocker of the Venture. It's kinda hard to describe but the Prior almost always feels like it wants to "wheelie" when your in pow, it also can feel like it returns a little too much energy when your popping out of a turn and about to transition into another one... The Venture on the other hand just feels a lot more predictable... You notice the rocker but only in the right way, it doesn't seem to mess with my turns, but you know it's there when your in some bottomless Utah 4%-5% density pow, it defiantly rides like a rocker board though, you can tell it's less effort on your part to ride that board... I love both boards though... I really only bought the Venture because I had plenty of extra $$$... If my $$$ situation had been different I would have been happy as a clam riding my Prior.... It also could be psychological as I like the whole Venture story... Small, employs snowboarders, FSC wood, wind powered factory, hand made in the US and so forth...

YMMV