Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: La Sportiva Spantik - First Impressions, Feedback Welcome
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 am 

Although I live in Maine, and primarily ride in the White Mountains in NH, I'm planning a splitboard ascent of Mont Blanc in March. I'm expecting a burly ascent, and really want my feet to be warm, and my crampons to fit well. After doing a bunch of research, I had narrowed myself to the Burton Drive X and the La Sportiva Spantik. It really bugs me that no snowboarding companies actually give there boots temperature ratings, and instead leave us with marketing bullshit.

Anyway, I got lucky and found a pair of Spantik's in my size for $300 less than retail, and picked them up. I've only ridden them once, and hiked in them twice so far, but here are my initial impressions.

General Observations:
    They are much more comfortable to hike in then snowboarding boots. I was able to easily front point in them without crampons even.
    The soles are awesome. Huge Vibram soles, very grippy. They also fit crampons much better than my snowboard boots ever did.
    They are seriously lightweight. I think they must weigh less than any snowboard boots I've ever owned
    They are the warmest boots I've ever worn. They also come with an additional aluminum reflective insole that adds even more warmth!
    They go on and off very easily. The liner also removes from the outerboot very easily. This is a real plus for camping situations. The liner also has a little tread on it.

Snowboarding Observations (after only 1 descent):
    They are much stiffer in the ankle and forward lean then I initially thought they were going to be. Much stiffer and more rigid then my old 2003 Burton Custom boots.
    The soles are very rigid, which makes feathering turns, particularly on the heelside, more difficult.
    When you drive a turn, the soles are so rigid, you explode into it at the initiation.

Keep in mind I've only ridden in these once so far, and it wasn't particularly steep back-country terrain, and it was only my 2nd day out this year (and the snow was semi-icey / wet / shit). My feet definitely cramped up a little near the end, but I expect that from any boot I'm riding for the first few time. I also had my stance set to very duck footed park mode, which was a mistake. My new back-country stance is going to be 20, -5, as opposed to my tricky stance of 16,-13.

I'll be doing a traverse of the Biggelow Mountain range in the boots this weekend, which will just be mountaineering, but I plan on trying to clock a lot more mileage riding in the boots before I rely on them at Chamonix.

I'm really interested in the thoughts and input of other people who are riding in Spantiks. I've heard the laces are prone to break, is this really true? Has anyone ridden them in really gnarly / steep terrain?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: La Sportiva Spantik - First Impressions, Feedback Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 am 

I sized my Spantik boots a half size large and put Intuition liners in them. I'm happy with the results. They ride a lot like my Driver X and of course are much easier to walk in. I haven't broken any laces yet but i carry an extra pair. Happy shredding.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 am 

I sized mine a half size large also (I wear a 43, and sized up to 43.5, dunno my real US size, the euro sizes seem more consistent than the US sizing).

What made you decided to switch out the liners?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 am 

Only got a few days on mine last year before getting shut down for back surgery. I went ahead and swapped out the Sportiva laces for Sierra Laces right away, as I have nothing but good experiences with Sierra Laces in the past. The Sierra Laces aren't as thin as the Sportiva so they require a bit more effort to tighten, but should be less likely to cut through the lace loops. I am still using the stock liners and sized them as I would any other mountaineering boot (full 1/2 size above my street shoe to allow for thick wool/VBL sock combo and a small amount of swelling at altitude). Here's my initial impressions:

1. First day out was Mt Marcy in January, temps were below 0F all day with sustained winds above 20 mph above treeline, boots were toasty warm.

2. Haven't ridden the boots in firm conditions yet, but they are definitely more responsive than my previous boots (ICE 9000s).

3. Really like the weight, think they shaved a 0.5lb per boot off the Vasques.

One thing I haven't done yet, but may in the near future is to Seam Seal (using Freesole) the entire boot as I have seen this recommended in a few different places to increase the durability. Though this is likely of minimal necessity as I don't have any mixed climbing in my future until the surgeon clears me to tie-in again.

Really happy thus far, and don't anticipate those feelings to change.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm 

This thread has me exceptionally stoked!

Good to see a snowboard specific review of a high-end mountaineering boot.

How do you guys feel about the hight of the uppers? Do they give enough support and padding for highbacks and toeside turns? Also, what do you think of the heel lift? Most mountaineering boots have a slightly raised heel, and I wonder how much this influences the ride performance (I tend to like my boots flat or even dropped in the heels..)?

I'm going to post up a wee review and shots of my modified Vibram-Ride boots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 pm 

^^^Since we finally got russman to comment on something other than Jones or Karakoram :wink: I will give this thread what all good threads have...pics

Here is comparison to a Malamute (Spantiks = US11, Malamutes = US11-11.5) to show the height difference. While the Spantik is slightly shorter it doesn't pose an issue.

Forward flex profile is nearly identical to the point where the sole exhibits heel lift. This arises in that the Malamute is a slightly softer flex, but when combined with the added height the two boots flex very similarly.

As for the heel height here is my observation (Spantik has stock liner + insole, Malamute has stock liner + orange Superfeet insole). Malamute has a completely neutral foot angle while Spantik has a slightly positive foot angle as the heel is raised slightly. I personally like a bit of positive angle as it favors a lower stance with knees bent for a comfortable riding position. YMMV

As for the foot height from the top of the board the two boots are very similar, with perhaps the Spantik being a wee bit higher.

Weight: Spantik = 6.2 lbs/pair, Malamute = 5.6 lbs/pair

I will revisit this thread once I've had a chance to ride the Spantiks in a greater variety of snow types.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:39 am 

A follow up, I just did the Gulf of Slides at Mount Washington on Monday in the Spantiks, and I've got some more feedback.

The boots are very comfortable and supportive to skin up in. For the ride down, with my stance adjusted, and about a 2 feet of powder, they were very comfortable to ride in. They were also kickass for the steeper sections of the hike, and fit a crampon better than a soft snowboard boot ever did for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:34 pm 

I have only been out the once with mine and got on ok though I got a bit of pain in the soles of my feet which I'd expect for the first time in new boots, they were surprisingly good on the decents even with the angles I have setup because of clearance issues. One thing Im gonna try is putting my snowboard boot liners in them and see how they feel. I think they will help on long traversing as the will give slightly better support. I've tried them in the house and they feel pretty close to the feel of my board boots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:43 am 

@anybody- what is the sole length, including welts/size of your spantiks?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 am 

^^^if you are not in a hurry I can let you know this weekend when I get back home

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:53 pm 

No hurry at all, dude.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:01 pm 

Sorry for the delay...size 44.5 are ~12.5 inches in length. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am 

mmmmmmm, haven't put them on snow yet (what does snow look like again? haven't seen any around here in forever.) but snowboard boot liners inside spantiks make a great feeling boot in bindings on carpet.