Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Hybid Rocker 158 Prior BC with 11m sidecut
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:46 pm 

I just had this board built for spring corn season on the NW volcanos. It has not yet been ridden. I will try it in powder, but I don't expect much in Utah powder (where we spend the winters). It might work pretty well in NW powder if it is not too deep.

It is a hybrid rocker 158 Prior BC with an 11m sidecut. It turned out beautiful! I have had matte topsheets on a couple of Priors and they really have an issue with snow sticking to them. This green topsheet is seriously glossy and should be much lighter going up without all the snow! :clap: The board looks really straight because, with the 11m sidecut and only 158 length, the nose and tail stay really narrow compared to a board with a more typical dimensions.

My hope is that the 11m sidecut will give me much better grip than traditional splitboard sidecuts of 8 to 9m. I am trying to minimize the high speed downward drift of the board on steep and firm (if you have been there, you know what I mean). Often the steepest part of the line on the volcanos is at the top and with 4000 to 6000' of vert you often need to ride it while it is still firm so the rest of the line is not mush (and still stable).

I do not need a big board for this application. I do not want to carry a bigger and heavier board up the mountain and I want a low swing weight for quick turns while riding. I was planning on getting a 154 but I decided on going with a 158 because I wanted the hybrid rocker. The 158 hybrid rocker should have roughly the same effective edge for riding stability as a 154 cambered version. The Prior's rocker is pretty mild and loss of edge hold due to the rocker should be low.

The hybrid rocker should help loosen the board up on transitions, ride better over rough conditions, and will definitely help when I get into slush and suncups. The cambered 154 Voile I was riding before really sucked in the slush and suncups. (The small sidecut did not help).

The board is 245mm wide, which is perfect. I wanted it narrow to make the skis narrower for skinning on firm snow and I also wanted the board narrow for increased torsional stiffness when riding on steep and firm. It will be ridden with AT boots, dynafit, and 30f/20r angles to avoid boot out (my feet are pretty small).

The BC only has a few mm of taper. I have ridden both a hybrid rocker and a cambered Khyber, as well as a couple of other less tapered boards, in the conditions I had this board built for. I really did not like the taper for steep and firm. The taper initiates well, but does not lock back in quick enough when you finish the turn.

I considered a Jones Solution with magnatraction but they are too big and too wide for what I am looking for. Maybe a 158 Jones with 9m+ sidecut, under 250 wide and magnatraction would work well for this application, but it does not exist.

I am stoked!

Post subject: Re: Custom Hybid Rocker 158 Prior BC with 11m sidecut
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm 

Very cool! :thumpsup: Sounds perfect for the application for which it was built.
I'm really digging the recent conversations where folks are describing the applications that form their bias towards board length and geometry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm 

nice ride! I could never figure out the 8-9 meter radius sidecuts either for beyond beg-intermediate resort riding, maybe they are just right on the wall of a hardpack halfpipe.
:scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 pm 

Scooby2 wrote:
nice ride! I could never figure out the 8-9 meter radius sidecuts either for beyond beg-intermediate resort riding, maybe they are just right on the wall of a hardpack halfpipe.
:scratch:

I think it is for most riders in most resorts. The stuff we can ride in the bc can be far more challenging and needs different equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm 

very nice buell, should be a great spring board :thumpsup:

did you look into any other manufacturers for the custom 11m radius? curious if others were willing to hook you up as well.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 pm 

sick buell,

perfect spring steeps board, its gonna kill with hardboots

i liked how my winterstick st handled the steeps. i think it has a 10.8m radius. you can definately tell the difference - a little cumbersome going slow, but at speed.. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:23 pm 

Yes, my '62 Winterstick likes volcanoes too. That prior looks cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
did you look into any other manufacturers for the custom 11m radius? curious if others were willing to hook you up as well.

Hey Chris, I talked to one other snowboard builder who has built splitboards that must be finished by the buyer with the split kit. When he said that he was not too worried about torsional stiffness because I was just skidding around I eliminated him immediately.

I have had a lot of Prior solid boards and a couple of their splits so I felt pretty good working with them. I do not know about what other companies could offer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:21 pm 

Buell,

Board looks sweet. I suspect you will be very pleased with the performance on the steeps. I am curious as to your boot size and stance angles-I like to make sure the board can hold a 60+ degree angle without any toe/heel drag to keep good edge pressure on really steep stuff. For me, with an 11 meter radius, and 28 mondo boots, I need at least 258 mm waist to avoid drag (30/15 degree stance angles and 21" stance width). Narrow is good on the steeps to generate edge pressure, but any drag can be really scary/dangerous.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:01 pm 

barrows wrote:
Buell,

Board looks sweet. I suspect you will be very pleased with the performance on the steeps. I am curious as to your boot size and stance angles-I like to make sure the board can hold a 60+ degree angle without any toe/heel drag to keep good edge pressure on really steep stuff. For me, with an 11 meter radius, and 28 mondo boots, I need at least 258 mm waist to avoid drag (30/15 degree stance angles and 21" stance width). Narrow is good on the steeps to generate edge pressure, but any drag can be really scary/dangerous.

25 mondo boots. I was riding about 30f/20 to 25r last season on a 245 mm board. Boot out will not be an issue. I am quite familiar with it from carving. I run very little, to no overhang on all my set ups: softboot, hardboot, or AT boot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:21 pm 

Buell, gotcha, that makes sense. I am sure the board is gonna work very well for its intended purpose, way to step up and commit to the custom ride.
Hopefully manufacturers will step up and realize that deep sidecuts are not necessary for backcountry riding...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm 

I am loving this board the last three weeks here in Utah! I did not expect to ride it much until spring but we have had some seriously mixed conditions. I have ridden it in 1 to 10" of heavy powder, slick rain crust, and wind buff. Slopes have been 25 to 40 degrees.

The trickiest conditions have been the 1 to 5" of heavy powder mixed with blown off, exposed rain crust. Sometimes you can see the rain crust, other times it looks the same as the powder and you don't know you are going to hit it.

The board is so predictable in those mixed conditions. It grips amazingly well on the rain crust and does not hook into a turn at the transition back to the powder. I can usually continue with my intended line even when going between the crust and the powder. It is smooth and stable in the heavy powder and turns much easier, tighter, and quicker than I expected. It even performs quite well as slower speeds (it sometimes catches me off guard at really low speeds though).

11m sidecut on a smaller board. :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:30 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Very cool! :thumpsup: Sounds perfect for the application for which it was built.
I'm really digging the recent conversations where folks are describing the applications that form their bias towards board length and geometry.

+1

I totally agree. Buell, this is SO SICK!

This actually raises a very interesting question for me. What do all you guys really think about magnetraction? I'm skeptical that it actually does anything more than a placebo effect. Its just so hard to say without a real study. In theory, more contact points makes sense, but basic Newtonian physics tells me that contact forces are just more spread out. Its like the difference between 10 pounds of pressure on one nail, or 5 pounds of pressure spread over 2 nails... Does this actually have statistically significant application to edge hold?

The sidecut with narrow nose and tail, and rocker on this board actually do make sense to me for edge hold. This takes pressure off your nose and tail contact points, and puts it right under your toes and heels, where you need it.

I was riding the 61 Solution the other day on some exposed glacier ice on the While Salmon Glacier, and I realized that tapered (or blunted) extremities make a huge difference for edging on steeps. Really interested to see how this board works out for you! Looks like an amazing mountain tool!

And this spring, lets get out to do some "testing" :)

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: