Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deuter Freerider Pro 30 feature question.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hi all.

First time posting here. Be gentle. ;)

Looked through the pack threads and the posts about the Deuter pack, but didn't see an answer to my question.

That question being: What's the extra strap for?

Just got the freerider pro 30, and when I got it home I noticed a feature I hadn't noticed upon first inspection. There's a strap with a buckle, that's only on one side of the pack. It is on the upper-left corner, is about 18" long when extended all the way, and both sides of the buckle are mounted in the same place; forming a big loop when it's buckled. It tucks away into it's own little pocket on the outside of the pack. It's not immediately obvious to me what it's for, as it doesn't appear necessary for strapping either the board, snowshoes, or an ice-axe to the pack, and seems poorly placed if its purpose is to strap the tips together for an A-frame carry (Though I have not tried that yet.).

What am I missing?

Post subject: Re: Deuter Freerider Pro 30 feature question.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:50 am 

i would have to say its probably most certainly for the skiers out there......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:12 pm 

Yeah, sounds like it's probably a strap for diagonal ski carry; is there another strap (maybe tucked away but not adjustable) on the opposite corner of the pack?
-Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 pm 

dgg wrote:
Yeah, sounds like it's probably a strap for diagonal ski carry; is there another strap (maybe tucked away but not adjustable) on the opposite corner of the pack?
-Daniel

There are a couple of sewn bungee loops at the opposite corner. Doesn't look like they'd accomodate very wide skis, but that's quite possibly what they're for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 am 

Hi TrevorlnCA,

First off... thank you for buying a Deuter pack. I'm nor CA's regional rep for Deuter. To confirm your questions...

The strap on the top/side is for securing your skis in diagonal mode. The little pocket is to tuck it away when the strap is not in use. You can use this mode with a splitboard if your willing to lengthen the opposing bottom strap.

The two bottom bungee loops are for securing your trekking poles for the decent. There are two bungee straps near the top/front of the pack that can be used to secure ice axes and/or poles. You can put your pole tips facing down into the bungee loops & even stretch them around your baskets to keep them more secure or stretch the loops around your pole grips if you prefer to carry your poles with the tips facing up (there' a thread on here somewhere debating this pole carrying conundrum).

Let me know if you have any other questions about this pack as I'm the local expert on here. :wink: