Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 24
Is it possible to have a system with a hardboot like the dynafit but also have:
1. Locking heels in with release for ski mode.
2. A plate or kakoram clip for board mode? Would the locking toe and heel assembly compromise real estate for the board aspect?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 pm
Posts: 1410
Location: UT
I don't have an answer, but an observation....

With all due respect (and based on your other posts) why don't you just ski?
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but it seems like your heart is with skiing not boarding.
Either way, I hope you figure it out and have a good season, however you choose to do it.

_________________
Experts tell me I'm not a serious rider; riding boards that are too long with the incorrect boot and binding setup and I'm not having fun...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:35 pm
Posts: 316
Location: Ithaca, NY
See this post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843

Really pretty sweet I gotta admit. I would love to have that kind of flexibility on my board now and then. I skied as a kid and skied a day last year and it was a blast. Soft boots and sparks aren't very "responsive" while skiing but what do you expect? It's obviously a compromise in skiing performance for actual snowboarding performance!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 24
Simply because I want to board from the peak down but dont want to swap for a few steep hills down along the way. I'd feel much more stable if I could lock in the heels to stop.
Snurfer wrote:
I don't have an answer, but an observation....

With all due respect (and based on your other posts) why don't you just ski?
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but it seems like your heart is with skiing not boarding.
Either way, I hope you figure it out and have a good season, however you choose to do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Eugene and Coos Bay, Oregon.
I think you said you are new to snow sports. A lot of the questions you are asking are about very technical gear. Most of us working on this stuff are skilled snowboarders and experienced splitboarders.

My own observation is that you start simple on soft boots and a solid board or on skis, inbounds. Make sure you are reasonably skilled by spending time in a resort because learning in the BC will be very slow (not to mention the difficulty and bad habits you will pick up if learning to snowboard in AT boots) and an injury is much more serious without ski patrol around. Get a feel for what you like and how stuff performs inbounds first.

Then work on the equipment you want to ride in the BC. Take your avy class.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 24
Reading the bomber site for hardbooting says learning on hardboots could actually be easier, possilbly easier transition for skiers.
I am curious of what these bad habits hardboots might give?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 49
PowderNewb and anyone new to splitboarding;

Buell is right on in saying:
Quote:
My own observation is that you start simple on soft boots and a solid board or on skis, inbounds. Make sure you are reasonably skilled by spending time in a resort because learning in the BC will be very slow (not to mention the difficulty and bad habits you will pick up if learning to snowboard in AT boots) and an injury is much more serious without ski patrol around. Get a feel for what you like and how stuff performs inbounds first.

Then work on the equipment you want to ride in the BC. Take your avy class.
.

Learn to ski and snowboard at a resort first, and take an intro Avy Class, before going into the backcountry! Then consider demo-ing gear on a guided trip /avy course!

Learning to snowboard can be a fun and sometimes a painful experience. Learning usually entails getting through the "fall wall"; which entails learning the snowboard dynamics of edge pressure and control. Learning usually involves catching an edge and going down hard, until you have got it mastered. Hence the need for taking lessons (and not by your friends) to minimize the pain and maximize the fun. Learning from hardboots/ freecarve, would make it harder to feel (for a beginner" affect snowboard "edge pressure" and easier to catch an edge. For more information on edge pressure and learning to snowboard, checkout "GO SNOWBOARD" book/DVD by McNabb at your library.

Once you an intermediate snowboarder, consider taking a lesson or come to the SES freecarve session, held every February in Aspen (see bomberonline.com) for details, and learn to freecarve.

Why hardboots for splitboarding, was addressed in this post:http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8706&p=62954

Also splitboarding involves skiing, so a lot of skills to learn before heading out to the backcountry.

That said, I love riding and skiing in my AT hardboots / splitboard!

"Good Learning" in pursuit for powder.

_________________
Ride the Pow!
----
Venture Storm R 163 (2010) with Dynafit Bindings, F1 Scarpa Boots, Snowpro Race Plate Bindings * Nitro Retro Swallowtail 171 (DIY Splitboard), Burton Fish 156 * Vans BOA "Klutch" Step-in Snowboard Boot and Switch X Bindings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm
Posts: 818
Location: The Belly of Ham baby!!
Man, most of you guys sound like dicks!

Give the guy a little break?

I'm not going to address the debate between hard and soft boots, BUT, learning in soft boots in a resort teaches you how to use your feet and ankles properly. All the best snowboarders know how to manage their feet and body rotation.... And most of them are in soft boots...

I will also say that because I skied for more than 5 years when I was a kid, learning to "ski" my splitboard the past few years has been a blast. Most of the time I do not need my heels locked down to feel secure in ski mode. I can make it down black diamond runs inbounds in ski mode and without skins on. Its all about keeping your center of mass over your toes with your knees bent, and keeping your upper body in control with no counter movements. (FYI: The Karakoram touring interface doesn't hurt for ski mode, either ;) ) ALSO, if you DID lock your heels down, you would increase your risk of knee injury astronomically. Because our heels are free, when we fall our knees aren't torqued to the same extent... There's a reason why alpine ski bindings release!

_________________
PROFESSIONAL AMBASSADOR OF STOKE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Eugene and Coos Bay, Oregon.
russman wrote:
Man, most of you guys sound like dicks!


Are you aware that PowderNewb is new to snowsports? Or are you just stirring shit up again?

The advice that has been offered is sound considering he doesn't have any significant snow experience on any equipment, even inbounds, as far as I can tell.

Please let me know if I am wrong about that PowderNewb.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm
Posts: 794
Location: Colorado
russman wrote:
. I can make it down black diamond runs inbounds in ski mode and without skins on.


your my hero ferris bueller.....

_________________
Talking about snowboarding is like dancing about architecture...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 pm
Posts: 522
Powdernewb- these guys are right about learning at a ski mountain. You should not be learning to ski or snowboard in the back country. There are a lot of variables that are not controlled in the BC that are controlled at the resort. 1- Grooming. As a beginner, grooming is your friend. A nice consistent grade and surface. 2-lifts. Learning to ski or snowboard is exhausting enough with out having to hike up and down a slope each run. 3. Instructors. This should actually be #1. Take a few lessons in your chosen discipline. 4. The lodge- you get cold, you go inside, dry off a bit, get some hot chocolate, and you are ready to go back out. Not an option in the backcountry. 5. Ski patrol- hopefully you don't need them. But if you do, they are there. In the BC, rescue is going to take a few hours, at best, half a day or more at worst.

The Backcountry is a place for your "A-game". Most people never explore the back country. Most of the people on splitboards or other BC gear have spent years skiing at the local hill and then move to the BC once they are tired of the hill.

I'm not trying to discourage you from learning to ski or ride, but you should consider how to make the most out of a new hobby. Jumping into the BC isn't the way.

_________________
My blog with photos, videos and words from my travels. http://edcarley.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 24
I see what you guys are saying but I just want to get the right gear first time around. Whats the point of spending 1k on a board/softboot/binding setup that I dont plan on using for too long? http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/sn ... ay_one.cfm
However if learning on softboots is better than I will do so.


I'll wear hockey pad shorts I already know bout the fall cycle. I also DH free ride whistler and have way gnarlier crashes on rock and dirt/roots.. all while trying to dodge a 40lb bike ...so i'm not to worried. Of course i'll be doing my learning inbounds on lifts, as it's much faster way to learn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 am
Posts: 24
I guess there is no release to board mode but because both feet are mounted to the same object it would reduce chances of getting twisted in opposite directions? Of course the heels would have a tension release for ski mode. I'm looking at the dynafit tlt vertical sl binding for ski mode. Based on rental experience i'd say din 7 suits me just fine.
russman wrote:
Man, most of you guys sound like dicks!

Give the guy a little break?

I'm not going to address the debate between hard and soft boots, BUT, learning in soft boots in a resort teaches you how to use your feet and ankles properly. All the best snowboarders know how to manage their feet and body rotation.... And most of them are in soft boots...

I will also say that because I skied for more than 5 years when I was a kid, learning to "ski" my splitboard the past few years has been a blast. Most of the time I do not need my heels locked down to feel secure in ski mode. I can make it down black diamond runs inbounds in ski mode and without skins on. Its all about keeping your center of mass over your toes with your knees bent, and keeping your upper body in control with no counter movements. (FYI: The Karakoram touring interface doesn't hurt for ski mode, either ;) ) ALSO, if you DID lock your heels down, you would increase your risk of knee injury astronomically. Because our heels are free, when we fall our knees aren't torqued to the same extent... There's a reason why alpine ski bindings release!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group