Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: training for winter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:49 am 

Just wondering what y'all are up to in terms of winter training. For some reason I've been on an exercise kick recently, but it's mostly consisted of trail running.

Just yesterday I went on a 15 mi run up to hyalite peak, and while the cardio workout was good my knees are still feelin it today. I almost think it would be better to weight my backpack and go hiking rather than running, as it would emphasize muscles more frequently used for skinning or booting. Then again, running is quicker and gives me more time to devote to other commitments (school?). Thoughts?

I'm telling myself this year that I WILL be in shape once winter rolls around, but time will tell if my motivation persists. I've always been tired on my first tour of the season, but maybe this year will be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:02 am 

IMO, mtn. biking is the best compliment to bc boarding. Legs and lungs and easy on the body. And you get the downhill adrenaline rush to boot. I enjoy trail running but have to limit myself because of the leg abuse. Hiking is cool but just a tad to slow for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:02 am 

Those first few tours of the seaon tire me out even if I have been doing some training. Generally, I come into the seaon in decent shape from all the rockclimbing and hiking to rockclimb that I do. The thing is that I don't do that sport at the same altitude as the splitboarding. I've just come to accept that the first few outings are going to kick my ass. The good thing is that it only takes two or three days and I am usually fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:38 am 

hopefully nomad, we get some early dumps and can boot pack up sacajawea and get some early turns. that would help get ya in shape. are you working out at MSU. i'm trying to set up a scheldule to work out there and need partners. lots of plyometrics and stuff. let me know if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:50 am 

Do 12oz curls count? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:26 pm 

i'm more into the growler curl from Bozone!! that is about the best in Bozeman!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:38 pm 

lifelinksplit wrote:
Do 12oz curls count? :lol:

yeah, that is a good start but I think you should work your way up...ya know

Pint, 24 oz., 40 oz....it's always good to start off small and work your way up.
Keep us informed on your progress. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:44 pm 

12ozer's for sure.

hiking when i have the time. currently: no time

Quote:
Those first few tours of the seaon tire me out even if I have been doing some training.

end of story.

snowshoe until better coverage persists should definately do the trick.
that's my backup plan to the 12oz workout. once the season is arollin it
all seems to come together, regardless. don't stress it, i'd hate to lose a
good partner. :oops: :lol:

oh, and raise funds to buy the time i need when it counts. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:49 pm 

running is great, but it's high impact. the bike is low impact and you can sustain it for longer periods of time. oh, and you get a downhill after the climbing if your mt. biking. a lot of the xc runners from the local university will switch to the bike for a certain amount of time to allow their bodies to recover from impact/running injuries and yet not loose their cardio in the recovery process. also remember that recovery is one of the most important things while training. this doesn't mean you have to take a day off but go really mellow one or two days a week. taking time off/recovery is the hardest part for me. i like the everyday hiking/biking, but it will take you out if your not careful. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:58 am 

I run. Im too lazy to go to the Gym so I take advantage of my 30 minute lunch break to do a four mile loop every day I work. ( usually five). This running thing started about five years ago and really had more to do with my surfing. As I got older I could not catch the amount of waves I wanted because of all the little kids with their windmill arms . The advantage is Im in shape for whatever. But, this still doesnt match training at altitude. s soon as someone comes up with a gym that simulates high altitude Iwill join

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:53 am 

I RUN on the ELIPTICAL at my gym....try to do at least 5 miles or 45 minutes...whatever comes 1st. There is no impact which i like and i can oogle the spandex on the treadmills in front of me :twisted:

Ill also ride the stationary sometimes....but prefer a real bike.

My biggest issue this year is sheading the bit of extra baggage i picked up drinking beer this summer.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:35 pm 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention , part of my run( about 1/2 mile) is up a steep paved road. I like to pace myself against bikers climbing up . So far there are only two that can beat me up the hill running and they both have to stand on the pedals to do it. So, my vote for Physical training is a lot of uphill running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:01 pm 

Yeah - hill & trail running is rad.

You just have to watch out for the downhill because that's what wrecks the legs. I look for steep ascents and gentle descents. I time myself going up, but shut the watch off on the way down to keep from going too hard because I have a problem with being too enthusiastic...

Also lot's o' recovery is a good thing. I've been doing a big hill run (10 - 15 miles, 2000' vert) every other week with 6 or 7 shorter and flatter runs in between. I've been very happy with my fitness level and I've been in a good, injury-free groove. Oh yeah - no hard surfaces! Never on concrete and never downhill on anything but dirt!

Even so, when I loaded my backpack this Summer I had plenty of wind, but my legs still hurt like hell going up that first hill... There's really no substitute for the real thing.