Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beehive
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:03 am 

Yikes :shock:

After an awesome start to the season I haven't been out of bounds for a while in the Big Sky Area. I toured up Yellow mountain the day all this Surface Hoar fell and determined that it totally blanketed most if not all of my very local touring areas. Found it on all aspects/elevations in beehive/middle basin the next day. High winds/sun seemed to have helped the south/west aspects above treeline but we all know the best touring and riding in this area is on E/N aspects. With ect's below three and visuals of low angle slopes running Im confident it was well preserved is some spots.

Thoughts or Feelings?

Hoping to head out wed for some sort of tour... seems like the bridgers might be okay?? Anyone know if the banana off ross is holding enough snow yet? Also has anyone ever been up Pine Creek In the absaroka's? I have been working on a route to the NE cooley off Black Mountain for march/april.

One last question... Having never attempted What is the access into the hyalite like for splits without sleds. Is Mt Ellis the only realistic option via new world gulch or do they plow some of the other roads up into that area?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:09 pm 

Quote:
thoughts or feelings?

surface hoar sucks, guess it'll be another typical winter of buried weakness for sw mt. hopefully not but i was trying not to get too excited about our unusually good early start

[quote] Also has anyone ever been up Pine Creek In the absaroka's? /quote]
yes lots of people but mostly in the spring. only thing different in winter is how far you can make it down the road to the TH. I also heard the absarokas totally suck and have horrible access :roll: (only half kidding). but really there are endless possibilities for motivated folks.

[quote]One last question... Having never attempted What is the access into the hyalite like for splits without sleds. Is Mt Ellis the only realistic option via new world gulch or do they plow some of the other roads up into that area?/quote]
they plow to the resevoir now so access is pretty easy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:55 am 

Thanks Lifelink! Really appreciate the info.

Here comes some more High Pressure. :nononno:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm 

Joeyzims wrote:
...seems like the bridgers might be okay

Bridgers have maintained a supportable snowpack all season thus far with the only main instabilities being found in ridge-top pockets and particularly bad cross-loaded areas.

Quote:
Anyone know if the banana off ross is holding enough snow yet?

The banana is typically a late-bloomer but we've had exceptional snow so far this year so it could go sooner than usual. I've got plans to ride it this season as I've not yet ticked it off my list.

Quote:
Also has anyone ever been up Pine Creek In the absaroka's? I have been working on a route to the NE cooley off Black Mountain for march/april.

I had great turns up there in July. I wrote a TR about it entitled July 7th, Absaroka Range, Montana. I don't know which couloir to the NE you speak of but there are plenty of options out there if you're not afraid of a long hike out (either back down Pine Creek or out Deep Creek).

Former Bozemanite and badass Steve Gilson did a write-up of a pretty sweet line they attempted on Black. Read his blog [url=http://goskiing.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/getting-closer-black-mountain/]Getting Closer... Black Mountain[/url.

Quote:
What is the access into the hyalite like for splits without sleds.

There is a TON of access in Hyalite that requires no sled but will typically mean a three or four mile skin. History Rock, Blackmore, and a bunch of low-angle stuff is a couple miles off the resevoir. Getting up into the end of Hyalite is a lot more work and would require a campout in order to get more than one or two laps in.

Quote:
Is Mt Ellis the only realistic option via new world gulch or do they plow some of the other roads up into that area?

Ellis and Hyalite are completely different areas. The road up Bear Canyon to the trailhead at New World Gulch is plowed and Ellis a really awesome 1/2 day trip. It gets pretty badly skiied out but when it's good it's awesome easy to get to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:56 am 

Thanks Samh!

Quote:
Ellis and Hyalite are completely different areas.

You caught me! In my mind I have lumped that area together because it requires me to drive the canyon (I live in BS). I was told a year or two back that ellis was the only "realistic" option up that way. After pouring over maps all summer I decided it just didn't look that great and am super excited that they plow the road up to the res.

Again thanks for all the info! I think we may be attempting Blackmore in the morning if my partner is healthy. I will try to start doing some trip reports. Unfortunately my Avy skills haven't caught up to my riding skills yet so my BC lines aren't quite as "nasty" as I would like yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:07 am 

Joeyzims wrote:
...my Avy skills haven't caught up to my riding skills yet so my BC lines aren't quite as "nasty" as I would like yet.

Blackmore is good for people of varying skill levels (both avy knowledge and riding-wise). This photo from last winter gives you some good beta for what to expect as you approach from the East.

*click for a hi-version of this photo

The skin track that I put in awhile back should still be in the same spot which stays safely in the lookers-right trees. If you stay in the terrain that comes off the lookers-right saddle it is all low-angle with little fall-consequence. If you opt to post-hole up the ridgeline to the summit you will find yourself in much steeper (and more avy-prone) terrain that has relatively high consequence in a fall (aka big cliffs and cheesegrater couloirs).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:08 pm 

SAM you are the man!

Thank you so much. Our excitement to be in the Gallatin's got the best of us this morning. Glad we ran into you. Moral boosted as soon as we were up on the right trail and we quickly realized how much energy we burned on our way to history rock. Anyway we pushed on and summited at about 2:30 totally stoked. Took a conservative line due to some unique windslab conditions on top. I'll ask about that later. Just wanted to let you know me and sean really appreciated it. Have a great Christmas and I'll attempt a mini trip report later after I have food and beer and sleep.
Peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:19 pm 

It was nice running into you guys up there. I wish I'd have been up there riding and not just out for a walk though.