Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Karakoram Clips
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:33 pm 

summersgone wrote:
russman wrote:
few dabbles babbles of super duper glue into my clips, and they are quiet like a mouse in a house
So big thanks to russman, I'm sorry to admit, I was slightly skeptical it would just lock it up, but makes it just enough resistance to stay now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just foolin, just foolin :headbang:

Glad that worked for you. I think what happens is that the super glue hardens, right, and then you break the bond when you move the clip. Then what you're left over is a very tight physical relationship between the two surfaces. Works like a gem!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:41 pm 

I have a Voile Mojo 166 (ridden for about a year), and I installed the K clips last week and rode on them yesterday in-bounds.

I like the positiveness of how well they hold the board together. If anything, they maybe make the board a little too stiff - cambering it without a ~20# pack on was noticeably tougher than with the chinese chips installed.

What is a problem, though, is how tight they are in ride mode - they lock the board so tight that any play between the planks can get temporarily frozen, giving you an edge in the center of the board. This isn't an issue on powder, but on hardpack, and especially the flats, I found it the middle 'edge' snagging and being grabby.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the cap construction on the mojo, but I'm just about ready to go back to the old-school chinese clips.

Any ideas on how to loosen them?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:25 pm 

SeaTacExpat wrote:
I have a Voile Mojo 166 (ridden for about a year), and I installed the K clips last week and rode on them yesterday in-bounds.

I like the positiveness of how well they hold the board together. If anything, they maybe make the board a little too stiff - cambering it without a ~20# pack on was noticeably tougher than with the chinese chips installed.

What is a problem, though, is how tight they are in ride mode - they lock the board so tight that any play between the planks can get temporarily frozen, giving you an edge in the center of the board. This isn't an issue on powder, but on hardpack, and especially the flats, I found it the middle 'edge' snagging and being grabby.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the cap construction on the mojo, but I'm just about ready to go back to the old-school chinese clips.

Any ideas on how to loosen them?
Scroll down = information on what you are describing and how I dealt with it...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Scroll down = information on what you are describing and how I dealt with it...

I missed that. I'll try drilling out one of the clips.

BTW, which of the two did you replace with the chinese clips? The head set or the tail set?

j/c.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:56 pm 

The head/tip.. It probably doesn't matter, but it seemed more intuitive for me to slide the skis together towards the tip...

Also, just in case you decide to tweak the K clip and I wasn't clear... Do Not ovalise the holes on the K clip side that has all the hardware :shock: Remember one of those holes is threaded... and a little oval goes a long ways...

Hope this helps, Cheers!