Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Burton IS making splitboards this year!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:41 pm 

When I used to work in a shop the Burton Rep told us that the high end stuff was made in Austria because the Chinese don't really get the whole copywrite/ patent thing and if they made their high end stuff there it would end up getting ripped off.

A lot of people like to rip on Burton, but they generally make good product and they have driven the sport to a level where the products as a whole are really good and it garners a lot of attention. Most of that attention goes to an aspect of the sport most of us don't pursue- Half Pipe, rails- but the money drawn by those aspects goes in to improving the gear the rest of us use, making better outer wear, better gloves, better boots, better bindings, and better boards. Snowboarding is about having fun, and if you forget that, you are doing it wrong. So let the groms have the park and pipe, it just means more fresh for you and me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:57 pm 

twostowe wrote:
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not trying to pick a fight splitchank, just clarifying.

The FreeBird is made in Uttendorf, Austria, along with every other board that says Made in Austria....that's a fact, not kool-aid. :wink:

Curious if you know of any snowboard outerwear companies that still produce clothing in the US? I know Arc'teryx used to produce stuff in Canada, but I believe that has mostly ended. Same with Northface, Patagonia, etc.

Rome Notch is a fun board. I rode a 158 non-swallowtail for a season, but was a little disappointed in the quality of the sidewall material used. It's a semi-transparent glass type sidewall and it exploded on me in multiple areas, rather than crack or ding. I have an older 158 Malolo as well, and the sidewall material seems to have held up a little better.

We are agreed on beer thirty though! :guinness: :guinness:

no worries..like I said, rumor.

don't know who is making apparel in the US anymore. My point is that the catalog was big on the 'support local snowboarding' in it and they're not doing much locally let alone in the US.
Fly Low Gear? maybe. Cloudveil?

I do have to say, my Malolo has been my go to board for 2 seasons and held up pretty good so far, even though I had to butcher some old flows to make em work with the channel :nononno:

If I can swing a new board this season, I was looking at the notch 64 or the Jones Hovercraft. I'm a big guy and I'm not sure about the hovercraft but bummed to hear your take on the sidewalls on the rome. I can beat a board pretty good.

alright, time to go to the bar. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Switchback :guinness: :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 pm 

:guinness: switchback! where in VT are you? Im originally from milton, grew up riding smuggs, my dad still skis up there on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 am 

livin the life as a Bolton Bushwhacker...

mmm switchback BROWN ALE last night, new. :guinness: :guinness: :drool: :guinness:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 am 

yeah, i'm over burton and their shenanigans, the only thing i will ever buy from them again is bindings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:08 am 

My S-Series (162) is going up for sale, all parts/skins/bindings ($450). It's been a good board, but I'm hooked on rocker and looking for more float with less weight/length for this season. Was excited about the Freebird because of rocker and hopefully tighter tolernaces, a better pic is in last months Backcountry Mag, but do believe in keeping it local.

Although, I've found the Burton AK outerwareto be the most functional snowboard/spiltboarding outerware I've used yet. I'd consider a US manufacturer if there was one that was making outerware on the same level as the AK line.

So, not to threadjack, BUT Never Summer hand builds their boards in Denver using 100% of its materials from US or Canada (wood core is the only part from Canada, and they just buy blocks to make several wood cores out of)- no bullshit, I've toured their factory. Also Venture is built in Silverton using NA materials, and is even solar/wind powered for a greener foot print.

Buying local isn't that hard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:23 pm 

Yeah, Lib-Tech and GNU are made in WA, Unity, Never summer, and Venture are made in CO. And i'm positive that's not the end of the list of local dealers.

But they do list the Freebird on the Burton site now, as "Coming Soon." And it got mentioned in Backcountry Mag. Still not supporting Burton anymore. They used to be an awesome, creative company. Now they seem to be all about following trends, letting smaller companies take the risks with creative concepts, and then stamping out their own version under a different name if it works. Plus, they're not very environmentally friendly, which to me is a big concern. Not that all of my gear is environmentally friendly, but all my boards come from eco-conscious companies, which is important to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 am 

Listing at $599 I would say it's pretty cheap.

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:25 pm 

I like how the split is in the center of the catalog. So you can't tell if it's a split, or the pages are just meeting at the center of it. I think that's lame and misleading, but then again we are dealing with Burton who just sort of makes a lot of random comments and is never really clear about the intended use of their products. Personally, I hate that shit, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 pm 

Anyone here except Kyle actually have and riding this board? Seems like a great board at a great price. However, most of the factory splits seem like great boards, but I don't seem to be able to part with $800 (Unity & Jones), $900 (Venture) or $1000 (NS). My DIY board seems to be holding up good so far. Too much of a cheap-o I guess (I prefer thrifty :), at least this is what I keep telling my wife ).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:29 pm 

I'm pretty sure they won't be available for a few more weeks.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/checkyourpins
Instagram: http://instagram.com/checkyourpins
Facebook: http://facebook.com/checkyourpins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:15 pm 

I talked to the European rep yesterday and they told me I wont get my board until dec 27th.......

Tired of waiting..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:47 pm 

Westcom outerwear/layering made in North America.