Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New beacon Ortovox 3+ VS Tracker 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:34 pm 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:

, and practice, practice, practice til it becomes second nature.

From my experience guiding with lots of riders or skiers pro or public that the biggest factor is practicing with the beacon you own and learning the ins and out of that beacon. It does not matter which beacon it is. The biggest problem I see is people get confused with what their beacon is telling them. You can really tell that they have not learned what their beacon does for them and does not do. This simple confusion adds the most time to searchs. So practice, practice, practice but also learn how your beacon acts and how to use it to your advantage.

Tom Burt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:39 pm 

Tom Burt wrote:
SPLITRIPPIN wrote:

, and practice, practice, practice til it becomes second nature.

From my experience guiding with lots of riders or skiers pro or public that the biggest factor is practicing with the beacon you own and learning the ins and out of that beacon. It does not matter which beacon it is. The biggest problem I see is people get confused with what their beacon is telling them. You can really tell that they have not learned what their beacon does for them and does not do. This simple confusion adds the most time to searchs. So practice, practice, practice but also learn how your beacon acts and how to use it to your advantage.

Tom Burt

Exactly. Words from someone who we should all respect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:04 am 

wavy wrote:
I have no experience with the Otrovox.
ibisbiking wrote:
The Tracker 2 seems like it will be a tried and true especially after the success and usability of the original tracker.

I picked up the Tracker2 towards the end of last season. I took it out on a handful of trips and was really happy with it. It's smaller, lighter, faster and has better range than the original tracker. Then, I went out for my first trip this season a few weeks ago. We were at the trailhead and we did a quick transceiver test, I wasn't picking anything up, I had to get within a foot of a transmitting beacon to pick up a signal. Had to drive back into town and pick up a rental at a mountaineering store. The folks at the store tested it as well and came to the same conclusion, it was jacked.
I exchanged for a new one but am still apprehensive, hopefully it won't fail again, I'll need to keep a close eye on it.

Hey Wavy, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your Tracker2? That sounds no uber good man! Kind of freaks me out!

Hey for that matter, what do all you guys think about the Tracker1's? Mine is a few years old. I love the thing... Super simple, solid, and easy to use. I have, however thought of upgrading it to the Tracker2 at some point though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:40 am 

russman wrote:
wavy wrote:
I have no experience with the Otrovox.
ibisbiking wrote:
The Tracker 2 seems like it will be a tried and true especially after the success and usability of the original tracker.

I picked up the Tracker2 towards the end of last season. I took it out on a handful of trips and was really happy with it. It's smaller, lighter, faster and has better range than the original tracker. Then, I went out for my first trip this season a few weeks ago. We were at the trailhead and we did a quick transceiver test, I wasn't picking anything up, I had to get within a foot of a transmitting beacon to pick up a signal. Had to drive back into town and pick up a rental at a mountaineering store. The folks at the store tested it as well and came to the same conclusion, it was jacked.
I exchanged for a new one but am still apprehensive, hopefully it won't fail again, I'll need to keep a close eye on it.

Hey Wavy, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your Tracker2? That sounds no uber good man! Kind of freaks me out!

Hey for that matter, what do all you guys think about the Tracker1's? Mine is a few years old. I love the thing... Super simple, solid, and easy to use. I have, however thought of upgrading it to the Tracker2 at some point though.

I have a tacker 1 that I picked up last season on a refurb sale. I personally love it, it's simple, and gives you the info you need to get the job done quickly. The down side is going to be the short range. But like tom and the others have stated, the proper search methods and practice is the biggest player.

There is a reason the tracker 1 is arguably the best selling beacon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:31 pm 

ibisbiking wrote:
wavy wrote:
jbaysurfer wrote:
I did read this about the tracker 2

JBay, do you happen to have a link to that?

Thanks!

Man, I am still torn though I am still leaning towards the 3+.

the reviews that you're looking for are here
http://www.wildsnow.com/2349/backcountr ... on-review/
and here:
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/S ... acker2.asp

Yeah what he said Wavy. Sorry for the lag, I'm in the mountains this weekend and haven't really checked the boards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:24 am 

thanks for all the info/opinions!

I finally pulled the plug on the 3+

Now it's time to go practice!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:33 pm 

russman wrote:

Hey Russman,
I never did figure it out, but thanks for the reminder, I'd like to see if BCA has any idea what the problem might've been, I'll try to contact them this week. What freaks me out even more is that I tested it again as I was wrapping it up to ship back for an exchange and it was working again! Not good if it's switching between a working and non working state. At this point I'm assuming that the one transceiver was faulty and not the whole line, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the replacement for any weird behavior. I've done a lot of searching on the net to see if I could find anyone that has seen similar weirdness with the T2 and so far have found nothing. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from BCA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:52 am 

got my Ortovox 3+ and have done a couple searches with it.

It seems to work great. There's all kinds of error codes that it can give you if it, or a beacon you're checking is broken...and unless you commit them to memory, they're pretty much worthless. I guess if a beacon is broke, I'm sending it back to the manufacturer anyway, so one error code might do.

It's pretty simple to use after about 2 minutes of reading the instructions. It's my first multi antennae beacon, so the simple arrow pointing the direction with a meter readout for distance is really easy and fast to use. No more flux lines and orientation adjustments.

I still have my F1, I think if I need a "loaner" beacon I'll give my (presumably less experienced) friend the 3+ since searching with the F1 takes a bit longer to master then the 3+.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 pm 

wavy wrote:
I'll let you know if I hear anything back from BCA.

BCA emailed... apologized and said that no one at BCA had heard of/seen behavior like this before with the Tracker 2 and that they'd do some testing on the transceiver when it arrives at their office.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 am 

I picked up a tracker 2 last year. It finds beacons quickly, even in multi burial training. I have had no problems with it. the only quirk I have noticed is it switches from search to transmit super easy. During my Avi1 class the instructor noticed it was the only beacon that would read 0.0 on receiving beacons.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:42 pm 

I'm between these two options, so, I'm bumping this thread from 2010.

Any additional thoughts to sway me one way or the other?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:18 am 

Rather go for a Mammut Barryvox Pulse or Element (cheaper) or Pieps DSP Pro or Tour (cheaper),
because of their longer range when searching.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:55 pm 

I have a 3+ and I really like it. Easy to use. It has a multiple burial/flagging function, which the Tracker 2 does not have, I believe. (misinformation edit)

When I had the choice between the Tracker 2 or the Ortovox 3+, I went with the 3+ and I definitely have no regrets. Really easy to use. Feels good in my hands. When I practice with it, it always gets the job done well. The battery life is awesome on it too.