Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a do it all split.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 am 

I'm looking for a do it all splitboard. I ride mostly Vermont. Sugarbush, Stowe, Jay. Looking for a split that is good for the east including Mt Washington and some Adirondak days. I was also looking for a split that can handle the occasional groomed run as some access into the back country will be from resorts. I'm 36 6' 215 lbs currently ride a Burton T6 164 wide. Not looking to ride much on resorts with this board but when the need arises I would like a board that can carve very well and is not heavy.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a do it all split.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am 

Well I ride a venture euphoria split in VT. It is definately a Pow specific board. It is unsinkable and turns super fast so its ideal for a lot of the low-angle trees we have in VT. Stuff like the bottom runout of Big Jay. It still rips everywhere but it is very directional so don't try ridding it switch. I have put in some resort pow days with it too. If there isnt going to be any pow to find then I am probably just going to be ridding the chair lift and not earning my turns.
For a more all around board I would love something with a little less taper and a little stiffer. That is exactly what the Venture Storm is. I would also think about a Never Summer Herritage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am 

#1 Priority is a splitboard specific binding system. That will solve most of your weight issues. Without it, its not really worth it, its not the same especially for tree riding and the amount of response you need. My choice is Sparks.

My top two choices that come to mind are Venture Zephyr and NS Heritage. I won't put out sizes, bc thats personal preference. I base my decision mostly on durability. Those two boards are all around boards that will handle anything you throw at it and will take a beating. I think both will do well in the trees as well. These aren't the lightest boards on the market or cheapest, but very durable, strong ass bases. If those two aren't your style the Storm and Summit aren't bad options either.

Growing up riding Smuggs and Jay I know the terrain in that area, its pretty rugged, lots of rocks and core shots happening galore, so solid base is huge priority in my opinion, not as much weight. I shredded Burton bases each year, at least 5 core shots a year. Venture has the best base out there IMO, Neversummer next. I've seen Voile, Lib, and Burton bases get mashed, and Venture and NS take it like a champ. I'm impressed every time I hit something with them, minimal damage.

Theres others out there, but you can always split your own... Seriously though, bindings are #1 priority, especially for response on the trees and getting on groomers.

BTW, welcome to the forum, good to see east coasters getting after it on splitters. If I knew about them growing up in VT it would of been a lot different for me on options.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:01 pm 

The Venture Zephyr is touted as a Do it all board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:23 pm 

Thanks for the welcome and replies. I like the looks of the zephyr. Even comes in a very wide size which is another requirement because of my big feet. I did split my own board but not sure I want to do any serious riding with it as it was a very old board (k2 electra). First attempt was on a ride yukon but i screwed it up..lol. Guess i'll use that to make a bench some day. It's been a few years since I rode backcountry in VT. Did it with snowshoes back then. Looking forward to getting back into it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58 pm 

Sentury Dimension is a pretty sick ride, comes in 2 or 3 widths and is super light. They will be coming out with the newly designed backcountry model in Jan or Feb. If I remember correctly, it will be a slightly tapered board, either camber or flat with an early rise (rockered) nose. They also do free demos.