Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jones/Venture side by side
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:47 pm 

Ok, both these boards showed up today. Since I haven't seen either of these boards in person, i needed to see them side by side to compare.
Both boards are extremely attractive. First off, here are the weights:

Storm-8.58 pounds
Solution-8.34 pounds

Storm-great robust construction. Tip and tail clips fit extremely tight which is a big plus for me since I had a Burton S-series. Whole deck fits tightly with just a little sliver if light showing between the two halves.

Solution- I think they are onto something with this design. Beautiful shape but I have a few gripes. The first is the gap in the middle.

The second is the entire fit of the two sides. When the chinese hooks hooked tight, one side of the board is higher than the other.
Also, like my Burton, if you grab the nose and simulate vibration, the nose clip slowly shimmies loose. Can't get it to come undone completely, like the burton, but is still suspect. Also, clipping the nose/tail clips actually moves the two side slightly apart thus making the fit even less tight.

Seems they have some kinks to work out and that's why I am keeping the VEnture. Any questions?

Post subject: Re: Jones/Venture side by side
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:48 pm 

Another angle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm 

I think I picked right. The Jones I think will still be an excellent board. But I know the Storm is an excellent board. In the end I am glad I got it.

What do you think of the overall shapes of the boards side by side? And the rocker shapes too? It would be cool to take both to a resort and ride them side by side with the same bindings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:13 pm 

Wish could keep them both. Definitely more nose and tail rocker on the venture. Jones rocker starts immediately in front of Front foot and gradually goes up. Venture has some flat then goes up more unruptly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm 

Went through the same paces as you. Finally went away with the Storm. This board rides better than my solid all mountain.
However, I just watched Deeper last night, Jeremy really took his split through the roughs. Taking reviews from here, I bet this board also rocks.

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:10 am 

Quote:
Any questions?

Yeah, do you know that it's bad form to have two retailers ship you boards knowing your going to send one back? Shopping is for deciding, not buying. It does us no good to have retailers losing money on splitting. Apparently you don't shop well either cause you left bcrider hanging too. I'm all for getting a good deal but you've got a lot to learn, kid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 am 

Who is gonna "lose" money? Maybe I know someone who is gonna take on off my hands. I have already settled up with Chris. Whats your deal man? This is twice now you have talked down to me about my quest for a new deck. I do not live in a place where I have a plethora of boards to feel and touch and look at. And I'm not gonna just take peoples word for it and blindly buy something I haven't seen in person. Lighten up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 am 

Nice side by side Darrick.

All good eco and Darrick :grouphug:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:47 am 

Darrick wrote:
Maybe I know someone who is gonna take on off my hands.

My bad if you're gonna sell it and not send it back. Retailers lose their ass on returned goods, especially high cost ones like splitboards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 am 

Those are a couple of sexy boards. Cant wait to put my Storm 166 on some pow. As far as the tips not alligning, im sure every manufacturer has dealt with this (including venture as evidenced by an earlier thread.)

I wonder how the visible light in the gap pics will shrink with some Karakoram clips added to the mix. :headbang:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:20 am 

Thank you for posting the side by side.

Ecobrad, lighten up man. Yeah sending back to retailers sucks, but sucking up the cost yourself and then reselling is a risk some of us take. I almost did the same thing. I was just going to keep my jones preorder and the storm and compare them. Even ride the 2. Then sell the one I didn't want to keep. But, I pussed out. $900 is $900.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:41 am 

nice to see the comparison, one big difference seems to be the front foot inserts on the jones are a lot further forward than the storm..which makes me think it has a different flex pattern..the storm looks like it has a "longer nose" for more float and may flex/float more than the jones.........also the nose clip on the jones is set further forward.....both boards look good ..27 deg c outside 5 weeks and no rain, la nina is in here in nz.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:46 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
I wonder how the visible light in the gap pics will shrink with some Karakoram clips added to the mix.
Have you done it with your Storm? I did it with my Zephyr and I put it to the light, and I had no light showing through. It's craziness.