Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on board manufacturing schedules accross makers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:25 pm 

A friend of mine ordered a Venture split a while back and still has not received it. It was the same for me when I ordered from them in terms of delays (proud owner of one of the infamous dimpled batch board). I love their boards and own 2 of them but I am surprised that when a non-trivial number of people start their season in november that manufacturers may end-up shipping in december, especially for a maker of splits whose target audience is BC going ppl who do not have to wait for resort openings. I do know the bigger boards get produced last at Venture as well given that less are being produced.

Now in general I am wondering if there is any specific reason makers can't produce their boards and make them available earlier for shipping. Do some makers produce their boards earlier than other? Curious about that.

Post subject: Re: Question on board manufacturing schedules accross makers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:39 pm 

I think it's just a matter of first in/first out for orders. This time of season they have a TON of orders to fill for stores before the holiday season, and resources get stretched pretty thin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 pm 

I have seen turn around times between 2 months and next day. It really depends on what business is doing at the time of the order. Many companies build to order, but are also filling store stock, processing large company orders, building boards for their sponsored riders and some also build solid boards. A couple of the companies I know don't even keep full time help year round.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:24 pm 

Yes. It looks like some cies build one batch based on orders up to a certain point of the year while others are more flexible. If hesitating between 2 decks, will defo go with the cie likely to deliver in time for the season opening (assuming I order near that time of the year). 2 days turnaround is amazing, I guess they had stock for that particular deck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 am 

Manufacturers have different delivery dates for different accounts (retailers). Some retailers want they gear in October and some want it in December. They manufacturers try to keep their orders on schedule to their dealers, sometime there are repercussions for not delivering on time.

As for a person buying a single board directly from a manufacturer, you are last in line. Builders must fill all their big/important orders first, some orders were placed early last year. A retailer's order can easily be 10k-20k dollars, who's order would you fill first? Also if there is a quality issue, these retailers will get all there replacements before you too!

That a person can buy direct from a manufacturer is a privilege that most manufacturers don't offer. Most manufacturers wont sell to an individual, because it is more work and can cut out their real customers, the retail stores. Retailers are also they return/warranty path for the average consumer, so the manufacturer doesn't have to deal with the end buyer.

Support your local snowboard retailer (the good ones) or get used to buying things on the internet sight (& quality) unseen. Let them deal with the headaches and you can get back to riding...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm 

Good analysis Pedro. Everything you said makes sense. If I were the manufacturer I would defo look after big accounts vs. individual 1st from a biz standpoint. So buying a big board (produced last at some) direct from a manufacturer means you have to get ready to be at the back of the line. It seems in the case of Venture I am being told that the backlog is being worked out, but my friend is fuming, haha. Poor guy, I feel for him. Too bad we have no local dealers here, so the net is all we got for Venture. Thankfully we're not getting dumped on here like you guys in Europe & the US have been, so makes the wait more bearable for him I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 am 

I'm in a similar situation.

I ordered a Zephyr 169/27 at a local dealer, who preordered this board in March 2010...
...should have been delivered 3 or 4 weeks ago but still hasn't been produced.

This sucks -- especially as Austria is being pleased with huuuge loads of snow already.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:02 am 

ahhhhhhh, yes, makes waiting for the board a bit tough given the truckloads you guys are getting in europe :drool: . Sounds like the boards are now being shipped/delivered on the Venture side, so you should be getting yours within days.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 am 

My Never Summer took about a month from order to delivery :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:19 am 

You guys gotta get your gear dialed in August or September. Nothing is worse than wait for the UPS guy in a blizzard. Also shop from April and buy up all of last years goodies on discount. One of our Bro's got a Mojo with kit and skins for $550 (tax included) brand new this summer. Good luck getting out there, it sure is nice....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm 

It works like this, manufacturers work off two types of production, 1st - Forecasted production, as sales managers we try to do our best to evaluate how much product by model and size we are going to need for the season, which is typically done about 10 months in advance - we gather this info from our sales reps and retailers. 2nd - prebook orders - this is where we take orders from mid December to Mid March (typically) from our retailers and global distributors, this is where the bulk of our production numbers come from. So we usually take 20% of our forecasted numbers and start production earlier than prebooks and then we take our total prebooks and that becomes the final number for actual production booking. So if your local shop does not place a prebook order with your favorite brand, chances of them getting product from that company is about 50/50, which was the case for many shops that ordered Jones this past season. A lot of this is used so that we can order raw materials to build the boards, which actually is the most difficult task at hand as you have to book materials far enough in advanced so that cores are made properly, glass is ready as well as colors for base materials and colors for inks or digital printing needs. It is not like we just pop a board in the press and pull materials off of the shelf, the logistics of this is not just a walk in a park, it is quite detailed and specific. So when you order direct from a manufacturer in August, most of those raw goods have been booked into their prebooked production volume, and most of us make extra, these days about 10-15% over your total is safe. For us we stop producing in late October/November as we have to start sampling the next seasons boards, so as you can see this is a pretty deep process which requires managing suppliers in advanced as well as managing a large production and shipping schedule. Typical production is Jan - July for bulk of snowboards produced through out the world that are hitting the marketing in late August/Early September. Prebooks are the most important orders for ANY company as it allows us to establish our marketing budgets and plans whether that is to increase or decrease in those avenues is dependent on the company hitting or missing targets. So if you want products early, we suggest being the bug in your local shops ears as you the consumers are the ones that set the tone as to what a shop actually buys and what brands it wants to support.

Hope that was helpful

Chad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 pm 

Hey Chad, very interesting, thanks. Next board I buy, will defo put in the order early. The process does sound very involved in terms of managing suppliers and trying to guess overall demand then putting it all into production etc... I am still wondering why some have a much shorter turnaround vs others. Guess it depends on how popular a brand is, technology & supplies involved, equipment, economies of scale, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:41 pm 

I think it depends on what country your in as well. I'm in Canada and placed my Jones order in August and still no board. I can't even get them to reply to my emails (hence the rant).