Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good (stiff) boots w/ regular laces?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm 

Anyone ever tried the Ride RFL (real fucking light)
http://ridesnowboards.com/boots/rfl

or the Thirty Two Prime?
http://www.backcountry.com/thirtytwo-pr ... -boot-mens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:44 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
Why do people seem to prefer the stiffest boots? Does it help prevent ankle roll?

I've been using by Burton Rulers for the past few years and last spring those icy traverses just about killed me. I think the boots have been so well broken in that there isn't a lot of lateral support. I remedied it by getting crampons so I wouldn't slide down the hill sideways.

Are there other benefits to stiff boots beside this?

Coming from a background in biomechanics research, I say stay away from super stiff snowboard boots.

When you can't dorsiflex your ankle (bend upwards towards your knee) forces are transmitted directly to the knee and throws off the kinetic chain. We call this triple extension. It is a coordinated transfer of forces from the ankle, knee, and hip... Every high functioning athlete in almost any sport needs this. If you can't bend the ankle, you can't generate explosive forces from the quads or hips.

If you look at ANY super powerful rider that is cranking on toeside and heelside turns, he/she is always able to get forward ankle flex.

Super stiff boots make you an ugly, non-powerful snowboarder.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:24 pm 

russman wrote:
If you look at ANY super powerful rider that is cranking on toeside and heelside turns, he/she is always able to get forward ankle flex. Super stiff boots make you an ugly, non-powerful snowboarder.

Not really for, or against what an individual chooses to ride and I'm not challenging your education Russman, but can you explain how the carving and racing scene fit into your comment?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:33 pm 

Check out the K2 T1... Full grain mountaineering leather, vibram sole, comparably stiff to the driver, and the new k2 boa conda system on the liner... All with good old fashion laces. These boots are rad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 am 

I have 32 primes and they preform great. The tongue and articulated cuff allow for a nice flexing boot. The tongue tensioning lace loop really do their job pulling the boot tight to your ankle. Heat moldable liners with a nice foot bed. (I run the foot bed under the liner for a some extra room inside) On my third season with lots of booting and a good amount of splitting, the outer boot has some wear and tear but the haven't broken down and still provide the needed support. I use the liners in my scarpa t2's as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 pm 

dmwdenver wrote:
Check out the K2 T1... Full grain mountaineering leather, vibram sole, comparably stiff to the driver, and the new k2 boa conda system on the liner... All with good old fashion laces. These boots are rad.

I narrowed my search down to the T1 line. Here are my thoughts:

T1: Stiffest of the line. Has 1 boa. The boa is for the liner, which is probably the best place for one boa. $250 good price.
T1 DB: Good double boa system. $300 seems to make sense for additional boa
Thraxis: Exactly the same as T1 DB but with a third boa (inner, upper shell, lower shell). $400 does not make sense for T1 with an extra boa.

So I'm in the shop and I tell the guy I want to compare the T1 and the T1 DB. He pulls out the T1 and the Thraxis, and I'm like uhh, this is not what I asked for. He tells me that he didn't decide to carry the DB cause if you're going boa, you might as well get all 3 (thraxis). And then I tell him that they two models are identical except for the 1 extra boa, and I didn't think $100 justified that.

So he dropped $50 off the price of the thraxis and now I'm all set. I still would have preferred the T1 DB. But looking on the bright side, if I'm in the BC, and a boa breaks, I still have 2 left!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 pm 

Dude, there is a T1 with laces, a T1 DB (which you tried on,) and a Triaxis which you may have guessed, has 3 BOA laces per boot offered from K2. Wish I could find those boots in my size around here

solidbored wrote:

Tried the T1s on tonight. I didn't see any laces. It was a boa for the liner, and another boa for the outer. Nonetheless they seemed pretty decent for $300.

I would have bought them, right there, except there was pressure on the ball of my right foot. I'm curious though, would that pressure disappear after the heat molding?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 pm 

Yes, you're right. Sorry. When I saw the T1 DB (double boa) on the shelf and no regular T1, i thought they were the same.

After all this good talk, I decided to go with the triple boa set up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:40 am 

Snurfer wrote:
russman wrote:
If you look at ANY super powerful rider that is cranking on toeside and heelside turns, he/she is always able to get forward ankle flex. Super stiff boots make you an ugly, non-powerful snowboarder.

Not really for, or against what an individual chooses to ride and I'm not challenging your education Russman, but can you explain how the carving and racing scene fit into your comment?

Excellent point Snurfer!

I probably should have edited my original thoughts to say "non-broken-in stiff boots make you an awkward rider". Stiff soft boots have actually gotten a lot softer in recent years.

I was actually thinking about this alpine race thing this morning...

If you look at the foot position and body positioning of alpine racers, they are incorporating a totally different set of biomechanics on their turns. The foot is rotated toward the front of the board so that the hips are essentially pointing directly forward. Its more of a water-skiing position. Also, most hard boots have a ton of forward lean built into them, so triple extension isn't necessarily compromised. When they lean into turns, their shoulders are open, so forces transmitted to their edges are coming from the sides of their feet, and not the toes. This means that less activation of the plantar flexors, and more reliance on the quads.. Basically, to shorten things up, alpine boots are specialized for what they do, which is hard carving on groomers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 am 

I Just bought some new malamutes and have a few days on them (In the ski area and side country). Really liking them so far, stiff, light, no pressure points even with bindings cranked down tight.

My one complain is that the shell size is HUGE. I sized down to a 11.5 from 13 and they are about an inch longer than my drivers in a 11.5. I ride a legacy so I don't get too much drag but when I tried to ride my titan, it kinda sucked.

russman wrote:
If you look at ANY super powerful rider that is cranking on toeside and heelside turns, he/she is always able to get forward ankle flex.

Super stiff boots make you an ugly, non-powerful snowboarder.

I disagree whole-heartedly with this statement. If you are a powerful enough rider you can still flex a stiff boot the way you need to. I look for the support for charging through choppy terrain. Stiff boots are not for everyone though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm 

Anyone ever tried the Ride RFL (real fucking light)
http://ridesnowboards.com/boots/rfl

Swear By them!!! Three years in a row. New pair each year. But not the boots Fault. 100 plus days each year Touring.
Wore the soles out from walking on rocks and kicking steps. Plan on resoleing my old boots with a Alpine/vibram sole for a dream boot.
* Intuition liner
*Stiff but still surfy
*can you say light
*warm
Only thing is toe box could use a bit more room..... only time this has been a problem is With crampons on and two much Bullet proof snow for multiple days. Pretty sure a stiffer sole will fix this though.
suerte!!