Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Home fabricated metal splitboard bindings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 am 

b0ardski wrote:
Hey Rughty, did you machine the lightrails yourself or have a shop do them? If a shop, how much did they charge?

I did that one on a manual playing around one day. My machinist friend has yet to write a program to do them up proper and in spec on a cnc. I would imagine it would otherwise be quite expensive to have these machined. I did call up Voile to see if they would sell the rails separately, but they told me that there were no plans to do that. I will try to get round 3 binders with the light rail setup instead of using machined down slider tracks. Round 2 binders should be welded in the next couple days and ready for weighing to determine final machining. Round three will depend on light rail production time. I didn't take any pics, but will have new pics of round two when they are complete.

With a big storm fast approaching, the first 2 sets of binders should get quite the work out in the next week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 pm 

Thanks for the info. The welds on round 1 look great, I'll be looking forward to a report on the coming stress tests.
Meanwhile I'll try to scrounge up some sort of ghetto rails in my garage :doobie:

p.s. did you have some kind of metal break to bend the slider tracks out of sheet?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 pm 

respect :thumpsup: good work the welding man is pefect in line scracting the blank alu - pefect job . i dont can make it better :wink:

the next step under 900 g is - welding the heelcup on the baseplate - and save 4 bolts and some alu.

markus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:42 pm 

burton wrote:
respect :thumpsup: good work the welding man is pefect in line scracting the blank alu - pefect job . i dont can make it better :wink:

the next step under 900 g is - welding the heelcup on the baseplate - and save 4 bolts and some alu.

markus

I drilled out more material today on round 1 binders to lower the total weight to 910. Binders are already back at the weld shop to weld the heelcups to the baseplates. Bent Metal uses those u bolts, so I imagine that will bring me under 900 easy. Next step after this is to find some lighter weight straps. Current main strap comes in at 180 heavy grams and toe strap is at 90 :nononno: .

Round 2 binders are also awaiting welding and look like due to the different bases used, that they will come in lighter than round 1 :thumpsup: . They look pretty sick. I should have them ready for weigh in and pics tomorrow some time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 pm 

rughty made some for me too!

made out of old Ride beta movement bindings. With straps & pin come in at 950grams. Light enough.

I just carpet jibbed in these w/ one foot in a Blaze and one in my DIY. The DIY felt WAY FUCKING BETTER than the Sparks. The Sparks literally felt like I had two pieces of duct tape over my foot compared to the support/play of the Rides. I honestly think I may be riding my DIYs and keeping my Sparks as back ups til I sell them. Even though they sit 1/8 of an inch higher the response and performance of the Rides will blow away Sparks.

Kens binders w/ new straps:

Next year I want to get some machined rails from Ken(rughty) and make another pair w/ the same bindings so they have even less material and sit Sparks heights off the board. rughty is proving that it's possible to DIY bindings better than Sparks in the future at half the cost.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm 

Unless I find lighter straps that don't suck, I'm calling it. Binding with pin 890 grams. Just in time for the storm headed our way over the next couple of days. It's on!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 am 

Sick job on the binders! Way to make use of what you all ready got. Can't believe how light those are. Nice looking too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:28 pm 

After 2 days in the backcountry and 1 day at Alpine, these binders took a shit ton of beating and still are flawless. Here are some pics of what kind of abuse this setup took today.

This is a full rocker Sentury Splitboard with my binders attached.

Here is some damage taken on some super fun runs at Alpine. Still a few hidden surprises lurking beneath all that awesome powder.

I really wanted to put these binders to the test, so I hit a tree with them. Unfortunately, my ankle was weaker than the binders and the tree.

But all in the name of science...

these welds held up...

I feel these binders have been properly tested and given my stamp of approval

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:00 am 

Ouch, rough deal on the ankle bro. Heal up good! Glad to see those awesome welds hold up though!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 am 

Bummer on the ankle, hope you heal up quick and fully...+vibes your way :drinks:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 pm 

:thumpsup: on the bindings and :cry: on the ankle. shit dude. how long will you be out for. it looks snapped. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm 

Best guess right now is 2 months. I'll know more after I see the ortho doc. I ended up with 2 solid breaks at the bottom of the bone and 2 spiraling fractures a little further up. If it requires surgery, I'll be out another 2-4 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 pm 

Oh man, what a bummer on the ankle. I have broken mine twice, once bouldering and once trad climbing at the Summit. It sucks! Heal quickly!!!! As I said before, the bindings like great.