Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REVIEW: (09/10) Venture Storm R 181 / 27 Split
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 pm 

This review follows a season on the board riding a variety of conditions and terrains. For context, I am 6'3" and 215 lbs. I've been riding since 1983; I'm an ex-racer, I like turning, I ride long decks and put a lot of pressure on them.

I LIKE:

1. Great turn initiation. It's quick to initiate and stable to complete small and medium radius turns at low and moderate speeds in soft snow conditions. It pivots quickly and effortlessly in the trees--even at 181cm.

2. Floats great in pow. Nose jumps right up, tapered tail sinks right in.

3. Solid feel in most conditions. Solid, stable feel underfoot at low and moderate speeds on most terrain and mixed snow conditions. It handles aggressive forward-pressure up front and in the middle beautifully, yielding a ride that is energetic, responsive and yet stable.

4. Best construction and enviro ethic in the business. Durable as hell; green materials to boot, climate change advocacy. Major props here, Venture.

I'D CHANGE:

1. A cambered tail. The rockered (de-cambered) tail can't hold as much pressure as I'd like. This compromises acceleration and stability at the end of fast, large-radius turns and undermines edge hold and on steep ice. A big mountain board should excel at both jobs; a cambered tail would fix that. Last year Venture advertised but did not press cambered versions of this deck. I was bummed about that.

2. Widen the stance. Bigger boards are for bigger people; stance widths should widen proportionally with board length to better fit tall people who ride long boards. I could easily use another inch or two.

OVERALL RATING: 8.5. Highly recommended for larger people who want a solid, durable deck that aptly handles most conditions and terrain--especially in trees and tighter-terrain pow--who don't mind spending a little extra for green sourcing, environmental responsibility, and unsurpassed durability and construction.

With a few design suggestions, I'm a very satisfied customer.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

Post subject: Re: REVIEW: (09/10) Venture Storm R 181 / 27 Split
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm 

Nice review. I haven't rode a board that long in about 15 years. This makes me want to try one out again though as my riding style and objectives have changed with age. I agree about wanting camber under the back foot for projecting/accelerating out of turns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 pm 

Way cool, rjc; glad you found it useful. I definitely encourage you to try a longer deck--I bet you'll love it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 am 

Nice review. Where you riding?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:51 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Nice review. Where you riding?

Ecobrad - I do most of my riding in Flagstaff back and slack country.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 am 

I cant choose between venture(storm r 162) and mojorx(161).

Iam a new in splitboard..
Silly question but storm can work great on any freeride condition? so this is not just a highmontain board? i will used in Alps.
The really question is the price. mojorx cheaper..
If storm more durable, so if i can use long term i will buy it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:52 am 

jzola wrote:
I cant choose between venture(storm r 162) and mojorx(161). storm can work great on any freeride condition? so this is not just a highmontain board? i will used in Alps.
The really question is the price. mojorx cheaper..
If storm more durable, so if i can use long term i will buy it

jzola: I have ridden one season each on the Mojo 171 and Storm R 181 splits, so I have a pretty good feel for how those two boards compare.

Your questions:

Q: Can the Storm work as a free-ride board, not just a big-mountain board?

A: In my opinion the Storm is a great backcountry board--for trees, powder, other off-piste, etc. I don't think it's just a big mountain board--in fact I think it performs better in trees and powder in tighter terrain than it does in big, open fast lines. Because it's a very directional design, I don't think it would be your best choice for backcountry or in-bounds freestyle--airs, spins, riding fakie, etc. If your riding includes some of the latter, I'd look at something other than the Storm (or the Mojo for that matter).

Q: Is the Storm more durable than the Mojo?

A: Truth be told, I have no evidence to say that the Storm is more durable than the Mojo; both boards held up well for me, even despite the occasional rock-hits that happen when riding in northern Arizona. That said, I do think the Storm is constructed more durably--with sidewalls, sandwich, and overall super-heavy-duty construction instead of the Mojo's cap construction--and I would expect, based simply on my experience with those two types of construction, that the Storm would last longer and be less prone to delams or edge damage when hitting rocks or trees. But again, this is not to say that the Mojo isn't durable--in my experience it certainly was a durable board (and is lighter than the Storm).

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:25 am 

thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:38 am 

The Storm (and all Ventures for that matter) are more durable, WAY MORE DURABLE.

The Mojo is a Cap construction, Venture is Sandwich with P-Tex sidewalls. Cap boards simply cannot compete with a Sandwich/Sidewall board. the P-Tex sidewalls adds major durability and ease of repair.

The base material on the Venture is Durasurf Sintered and will hold up better than the UHMW Graphite, although the graphite base has better slide coefficient.

If price is your issue then get the Mojo; if you want the better board get the Venture.

Don't believe me? Go to Silverton and see what the Venture boards out there go through. Either from the guides like Skylar or the rental boards, they get crushed every week and come back from more. I don't think many boards can handle that kind of torture.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:35 pm 

jzola wrote:
thanks for your reply

You're welcome.