Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:42 am 

Quote:
I also like Metal, Beer, and an occasial Oatmeal Raisin Cookie.

Hell yeah Metal and Beer but Oatmeal Raisin. Come on, dude. Everyone knows rock stars love peanut butter cookies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:49 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
Hell yeah Metal and Beer but Oatmeal Raisin. Come on, dude. Everyone knows rock stars love peanut butter cookies.

Its funny. Peanut Butter really is my fav. Im questioning why i wrote oatmeal raisin..... :?

Thanx for callin me on that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:00 am 

Yeah, the texture of raisin's in cookies suck. But fuck cookies anyways, metal and beer rule :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:16 am 

Catjockey, I never blame nor get mad at cat operators for running over my boo. By the time you guys get to your plow you are so drunk Im supprised you can find the hill. But then again if I am the one supplying the alcohol before the start of your shift who's to blame? As Far as ECOBRAD'S reply, Did you say : But, fu*% or did you say buttfu*% ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:42 am 

420, please leave your sex life out of this. Please notice only one t and the space between but & fuc%. Don't get pissy w/ me just because you like rap, wine coolers, and oatmeal raisin cookies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:01 am 

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH...wine coolers :?: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:46 am 

I am getting pissy, but its because you didnt tell the good people out there that my rap stlye is COWBOY RAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:50 am 

Im getting pissy because agin you didnt clarify my style RAP I Like is COWBOY RAP. Winecoolers by Jack Daniels and the oatmeal cookie is to lure little kids closer to my truck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:26 pm 

patroller420:
Quote:
By the time you guys get to your plow you are so drunk Im supprised you can find the hill.

An aquired skill it is.

Quote:
But then again if I am the one supplying the alcohol before the start of your shift who's to blame?

That's the spirit. It is always nice to have cooperation between the departments.

jimw:
Quote:
BCD has certainly shown via his insane trip reports this season that soft boots/strap bindings can get you down the most incredibly gnarly terrain in style. Here are just a couple examples

No doubt. The NE aspect of Red Slate looks like a doozy. Route finding alone on the way down is impressive as hell, let alone the exposure. Don't want to make a wrong turn there. Wasn't doubting his personal abilities on a soft set-up, merely the incorrect appraisals of a setup he is not experienced with. Like I have been saying, soft boots, hard boots, skis with super stiff plastics, skis with not so stiff AT's, tele's with a free heel - all different equipment requiring different techniques, but all capable of being negotiated through such terrain equally well once the technique is learned and the gohnads have sufficient size and compostion (brass). Kudos to bcd on those lines and photos. I am merely a proponent of HB's, stiffer, narrower and longer boards and their equal capability of negociating such terrain with as much precision, sensitivity and subtelty and pointing out an incorrect appraisal that does not accurately represent the equipment.

Quote:
I'm planning on reading some verbose TR's from Cat Jockey next season demonstrating just that.

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words and we'll see if Santa Claus leaves me a lump of coal or a digicam.

Zach:
Quote:
Just for the record; I think that what Cat Jockey was trying to point out is that neither system is inherently better than the other. It's really just a matter of personal physiology, balance and prefrence.

Bingo!

Okay, God, I see you don't want to do it just now. Well, all right, suit yourself, you're the boss, but we ain't got a hell of a lot of time. Make it pretty soon, goddammit. A-men." - Seldom Seen Smith.

Post subject: My $0.02.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:10 pm 

huevon:
Quote:
I want to know what you think about current offerings from splitboard manufacturers, and get some advice on what you think comprises the best HB setup for splitboarding?

Again, I have never owned a splitboard, but I have experimented with lots of different setups concerning board - binding - boot combination, from stiff long race boards to short freestyles with varying combos of boots from super stiff ski boots to a varying degree of stiffness HB's.

Bindings: Catek and Bomber are the only ones I will ride. No exceptions. Breaking a binding is not a viable option in my opinion, consequently I want a solid metal binding with thick bails. Further, my preference is as rigid a binding as possible as I think that boot flex and board flex are enough things flexing. Bombers and Cateks ride differently in my opinion, even though they are both solid metal. I think this has to do with the unlimited adjustablitiy of the Cateks and they mounting interface differeces between the two on the board. Although I am not sure of the weight of the new Cateks which are more streamlined than the predeccesors that I use, Bombers are definitely lighter. I also prefer the ride of Bomber's all mountain and the Cateks for carving. That in addition to the fact that Catek does not make a split-board binding makes the Bomber a no brainer for me.

I have never used an intec setup and see some inherent advantages, most definitely for resort riding, but am leary about the pins in the bc. Have a failure (i.e. breaking on a rock from slipping, scoring so it will not recess, etc.) and you are screwed. The Murphy's law thing.

Granted, world class atheletes ride other bindings laden with non-metallic materials and prefer the "give" this affords them - I just do not have faith, especially after having broken a Catek before. The potential for knee injury is too great when a binding breaks and potential death in a no fall-zone for me to worry about weight issues - I'll take a dump before the hike if I am that concerned.

However, for me, cants aren't optional. I have found very slight adjustments in a plate setup can really affect how I can manipualte the board and how I have to adjust my style to compensate. So, I personally think that a gap that exsists in the market today, from my research, is a manufactureer providing an all metal, relatively light, binding that comes with some type of cant feature without having to outsource on one's own to a machine shop which equates to more $$$ being spent.

When I do find the resources to invest in the equipment (snow gods willing this winter), I will not have shims made - I will get rid of the whole plastic puck thing and have new ones (pucks) made that have cants built in. A one piece deal instead of a shim mounted to the board with a puck mounted to that or a puck mounted to the board with a shim mounted on top of that. Ouch - that could be costly.

What the hell. I have my own plate design about 80% complete in CAD, if I can find the resources financially, I might adapt it to split boarding and get a prototype made. Ya never know...

Boards: Defintiely a gap here. An ideal allmountain board for me does not get much wider than about 20cm at the waist, a bit longer than usual and stiffer. The Prior 4WD 174 & 179, the Donek Axis 177 and Coiler AM 177 have about the ideal specs. This winter, I am going to see if I have any success convincing Prior to split a 4WD for me. If not, I will get ahold of a Prior or Donek, sharpen the wits with a couple of shots, grab a saw and hope for the best. Might even split my Factory Prime 167 - not the greastest powder board, but I can stick an edge in steep, nasty coulior very well with it, cut through the crud and slice up the bumps in addition to being able to jump turn it around very easily - hate to do it though as it is one of the better designs throughout the years out there for agressive carving (the only Burton product I will ever own).

I also wonder about the reprecussion of a stiffer board and how that would relate the the overall stability and durability of a split. Such as the fact that a greater force could be applied to the nose and tail attachments and how they would hold up to a less damp board. Whent the stars do align properly for me, I plan on testing the setup thoroughly at a resort from pushing it as hard as I can in a carve at speed to bumps, etc., before venturing on terrain in the bc where the consequences of equipment failure are more daunting.

So defintiely a gap in an alpine style oreinted splitboard. No one manufacturers a specific one.

Boots: Defintely do not like snowboard HB's for walking around in the bc. The lack of a toe or heel sucks for trying to walk up an incline on rocks as it must be done flat footed and kick stepping it blows as well. An at boot is the only way to go for this setup and I do not have enough experience with AT's and plates to make an appraisal of what is best, but defintiely stiffness, flex pattern and forward lean are big concerns, with forward lean probably being the most important factor for me.

Okay, God, I see you don't want to do it just now. Well, all right, suit yourself, you're the boss, but we ain't got a hell of a lot of time. Make it pretty soon, goddammit. A-men." - Seldom Seen Smith.

Post subject: Board
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:14 pm 

Ask Fin @ Bomber, he had a few made up in split, 179? I think.

This winter, I am going to see if I have any success convincing Prior to split a 4WD for me.

Post subject: Donek
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:57 pm 

Sean will do it. I asked, but found the Mtn Gun to be close enough for me, and cheaper all said and done.