Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:50 pm 

Way to get after it Mar, I was going to go up to White Pine today, but got a wild idea to go one canyon north... :nononno:

11/13/2010 Mill B South

Don't go there, the snow is... well there isn't much snow.
Ended up being a really long walk in the AT boots for zero turns, but I needed the exercise and the ever evolving conditions made for some good photos... My intention was to ride the NE aprons off Sundial Peak, but I was too tired and it was frightfully bony....

A very majestic Sundial Pk

Don't try dropping in from Broads Fork either, full of big ass sharks!

Part of the mile or so I was actually able to skin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:38 pm 

He shralps for YOUR sins:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:28 pm 

I rode the same slope today that I did yesterday, and can report these changes in terrain above 10000': More rime on trees and rocks, tracks from 24 hours ago blown back in by the wind (not all, just some), small isolated wind slabs that cracked out in skin track (just an inch or 2 deep, didn't run), minor zipper crust was felt on a slope that rode much more powdery yesterday. All of our googles got coated with a vision-obscuring coat of rime on the ride back to car.
wasatch surf:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:10 pm 

snurfer-pics of sundial are awesome.

buckchow-thanks for taking me to that zone, good stuff.

My only additional observation would be that it was raining up to the white pine trailhead and the snow falling was weird a consistency at higher elevations. the winds are moving stuff around and creating some interesting surface conditions, might be worth keeping an eye on it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:02 pm 

Sunset last night was awesome, sunrise this morning was equally awesome but my camera was in the back of the car.

went and checked out the meadow chutes with mar123 and buckchow this morning. here are my obs
#1 big cottonwood has so much less than LCC, willow/beartrap have very little coverage.
#2 there is a small rain or rime crust that was creating a running surface for the loose/damp/graupel combo that is now our top layers of snow.
In the photo below bucky is show where the weak layer is located in meadow chutes shallow east facing snowpack.
#3 it was windy but surprisingly we didn't find much evidence of wind slabs
#4 things felt stable as we didn't notice any settling or cracking of the snow, hopefully the small weak layer will be crushed out of existence with the upcoming storm, if not it seems like it could be sporty out there if a lot of snow piles on top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:05 pm 

pic from today at the Meadow Chutes with Buckchow and Wasatch Surf

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:48 pm 

11/21/2010 BCC, Mill D north.

The trail had about 5-8" of powder and grauple mix (I had more snow at my house). Adjacent W/SW terrain appeared ridable, while most of the E/SE was sparsely covered.
After skinning with JiveStick form the road to the Dog Lake/Desolation trail marker I decided to go off on my own an brake some trail (It was good chatting with you JiveStick).
As I gained elevation I found pretty decent coverage on the N/NE aspects. Much of which was snow that had been moved from the south facing aspects by the recent winds. Lots of settling and whoomfing in the flats
As I approached Desolation Lake I ran into pretty nasty conditions. The wind was roaring out of the north and it was snowing sideways. Unable to see, and fearing the canyon road was under the same conditions, I bailed....

Tried my hand at split skiing without skins and broke one of my BD pole lowers :x Overall it was good day for fitness, but nor for riding and my gear got soaked...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 am 

Snurfer wrote:
11/21/2010 BCC, Mill D north.

The trail had about 5-8" of powder and grauple mix (I had more snow at my house). Adjacent W/SW terrain appeared ridable, while most of the E/SE was sparsely covered.
After skinning with JiveStick form the road to the Dog Lake/Desolation trail marker I decided to go off on my own an brake some trail (It was good chatting with you JiveStick).
As I gained elevation I found pretty decent coverage on the N/NE aspects. Much of which was snow that had been moved from the south facing aspects by the recent winds. Lots of settling and whoomfing in the flats
As I approached Desolation Lake I ran into pretty nasty conditions. The wind was roaring out of the north and it was snowing sideways. Unable to see, and fearing the canyon road was under the same conditions, I bailed....

Tried my hand at split skiing without skins and broke one of my BD pole lowers :x Overall it was good day for fitness, but nor for riding and my gear got soaked...

I am just waiting to break one of my bd poles..

decided to stay a little farther north this outing, and being that the snowbasin parking lot is 20 minutes from home we couldn't make ourselves drive to the cottonwoods.

we cheated and used the snowmaking at basin to gain access to almost 9000ft. but it was a blizzard up top with some wicked winds that knocked us over a few times. Everything was so wind hammered we bailed early and settled on a lap of 300 vertical at the base. It turned out to be the best ride of the day.

Although the weather has been gnarly, love to see the storm totals. Getting a good base all across the Wasatch. Wednesday is looking to be the day to get out. albeit very cold! high at 4600 feet in Layton of 15?? is it January?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:56 pm 

Does anyone know how early you can park in the cottonwoods without getting a ticket?
I'm particularly interested about parking after it has snowed. If they plan on plowing the lots and you are in the way, what will happen?

Sorry for not contributing conditions. I figured this would be the best way for wasatchers to see this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
Does anyone know how early you can park in the cottonwoods without getting a ticket?
I'm particularly interested about parking after it has snowed. If they plan on plowing the lots and you are in the way, what will happen?

Sorry for not contributing conditions. I figured this would be the best way for wasatchers to see this.
X2 This is a very good question... I have been wanting to go up in the evening after work, skin in and camp, but have no idea where it is cool to park...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:36 am 

Any thoughts as where some good "safer" riding will be after this dump?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
WhitePine wrote:

X2 This is a very good question... I have been wanting to go up in the evening after work, skin in and camp, but have no idea where it is cool to park...

So I decided to call the Salt Lake County Sheriff's department to find out for sure. The guy said that places like the Mill D lot are fair game for overnighting. He said they mainly want people parking near the highway so they can be seen from the road in case people break into your car. Just make sure you obey any posted signage and make sure your car is completely over the white line.

Any private lot is obviously up to the discretion of the owner (IE - Solitude, Alta, Brighton, Snowbird lots). Things that are closed to overnight parking include any of the forest administered lots such as Spruces, White Pine, etc. He said they are just too small to accommodate overnighters. Especially if they have to plow. Park & Ride lots are ok unless posted. The ones at the base of the 2 canyons are meant of workers and daily use only so no overnight parking there.

Dawn patrol at any of these lots is ok. Even if you get there at 4am.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 pm 

Stumbled on this the other day. Was wondering where everyone was, I knew guys were getting out. Lot's of good stuff on here, looks like some fun crews have been hooking up. Lot's of good obs, heres mine from today.
Windy
Ridgelines have been pounded so cornices are stubborn and cracking out much further than one would expect (always seems like that). If you find yourself walking some ridgeline here soon I would give leeward sides plenty of respect.
Take care and oh yeah... I always wondered what went on behind Bucky's glasses. Things are starting to make sense....
:lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next