Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Boots To Buy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:18 am 

I am going to buy new boots this year. So I am looking for advice, opinions, etc..other than what I've read. So far it seems that people are stoked on the Burton Drivers or Salomon Malamutes.? Since getting into splitting I have learned that my needs for gear have changed.. :scratch: ,,last year I rode 32 TM Two boots..well they are dead. Splitting killed em. So I am looking at the Drivers or Salomons..but shit they are spendy...is it worth it? I need to be on it in the backcountry but I also want to be able to go to the resort with my family. My 8 year old isnt touring any time soon. I wanna haul ass and have response. Last year I noticed I had to crank my sparks all the way down..my boots were played. So now I am confused on boots.,what to do? Where is my duct tape and my Sorels? Let me know whatcha think please.

Post subject: Re: What Boots To Buy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:15 am 

Resort, or BC... My experience has been that buying the best boot I can possibly afford; a small as I can stand it with minimal numbness/pain; and carpet surfing it at every opportunity/heat mold the liners (e.g., loosen it up to alleviate any numbness/pain), has resulted in my Driver X boots lasting for 2 resort seasons [60+ days each], followed by the last 2 splitting seasons [40+ days each]... So in terms of investment it worked out great....

Caveats: I've heard the Drivers have gone downhill in recent years (no pun intended). The toe box is small and mine seem to get quite wet despite being very warm. Some people think the laces suck, I've replaced the pair once, because one of the four became too frayed.

:twocents:

BTW... I guess its worth mentioning that although I'll probably always have a pair of softboots around, I'm transitioning to a combination of hardboots and no-boarding this season...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am 

bowlrider wrote:
but shit they are spendy...is it worth it?

That is entirely up to you. I feel that price doesn't come before the comfort or function of boots. I don't understand why you'd throw down the 300 bones for Sparks but not step up and do the same when it came time for boots. As Snurfer said, I got the best boots money could buy. However you are going to be the one wearing them all day so your priorities may be different.

It's a litte late now, but I always check out the shops in the spring when they're clearing space for summer stock. Picked up my Malamutes for 30% off. Or if you've still got ski/snowboard shows in the area, retailers tend to have incredible deals on stock they're trying to clear. I'm still kicking myself for not stocking up on BM Missionary's at $50 a box.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 pm 

I am going to buy the malamutes..from what Ive read and know I am pretty sold on those. Now how do they size? is another question. I wear an 8 so Iam going to go with that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:31 pm 

I've never paid over 50% for my last 3 pairs of Malamutes. Watch eBay and other outlets and buy last year's. Cheaping on boots is stupid in the bc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:40 pm 

Try them on - first and foremost get the boot that feels best since you will be spending so much time on your feet. The different brands fit really differently. Then it's usually worth it to pay for mid to stiff freeride boots because everything else in the setup (board, bindings) are relatively stiff & heavy and you will want enough boot to drive them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:56 pm 

With the Solomon brand you wanna size down a half size from what your skate shoe size is. I love my solomon synapse's they are very comfortable. I would break in your new boots at the resort. (Hey Bowlrider nice work on the improvements you guys made to your local skatepark :thumpsup:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 pm 

+1 on 1/2 size down from street shoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 pm 

Snow boots and UGG boots are really good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:54 am 

I have some Burton Serow's for sale in the the gear swap section, 8.5

Serows have a BURLY Vibram sole, articulating cuff for skinning flexibly, and a close to Ion or Driver X flex. Not quite as stiff as Driver X.