Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karakoram Clips
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:04 pm 

Just got done my second tour using the K-clips. Some positives I find with the system are I find the attachment easy, just as quick as chinese hooks, and my Blazes slide in perfectly to the pucks after. The board feels very solid, but I won't say its miles ahead of the voile clips on my Venture, but I would say better. On the DIY board that I have, I found a huge change in slop once I put them on. When before I had 1-3 mm gap on the front of the board, there was now virtually none. It was like I made a perfect cut (I didn't).

One issue I am having with it though is in touring mode. I can't seem to keep the clips from dangling around. The back one I had no problem so far, but the front dangles about. Today on a 2 hour tour, I must have stopped to wedge them back in 15+ times. I tried my best to wedge it next to the screw with some force, but still was becoming dislodged. Doing this every minute gets pretty annoying, so I just got to the point where I just left it. I don't think this is a big problem performance wise, but it is pretty annoying to look down and see the clip flopping around in the snow. I still want to use them, but I was getting a little annoyed today. Oh it's flopping again... :roll:

I thought that they came out and said this won't be a problem from the beginning and it would say in place? I am certainly finding that this isn't the case. Does anyone have any advice or tips that you have found to work so that they don't flop around? I'm thinking some sort of mod to the screw so that it wedges in better, but not sure yet. Wanted to see if others had the problem.

Post subject: Re: Karakoram Clips
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:11 pm 

Check to see if the little piece of black foam fell out of the clip... This is whats keeps them from rattling around...

Just curious... What did you think about the opposite side of the clips inability to swing out of the way of obstacles (e.g., the Voile clips)?
I found they take a lot of damage for early season touring due to bashing into rocks, timber, etc... The shock is transmitted into the mounting screws as well.... :twocents:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:47 pm 

duct tape solves all

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:26 pm 

whistlermaverick wrote:
duct tape solves all
Sorry no go on the duct tape in this case, although I do agree it solves all, just not in this case.
Snurfer wrote:
Just curious... What did you think about the opposite side of the clips inability to swing out of the way of obstacles (e.g., the Voile clips)?
I really didn't notice any problems. When they are tucked in I felt I had pretty good clearance from objects. They hang out less then a centimeter, so I didn't have an issue. I also haven't done much bushwacking yet, been sticking to roads to get to the alpine here. I haven't noticed it with any issues on hitting rocks either.
Snurfer wrote:
Check to see if the little piece of black foam fell out of the clip...
I don't have black foam on either of my clips, and never have, positive on that. Maybe that's an issue? Do you have a picture of what your talking about? I do have that rubber ball underneath on both, but I don't think that's the issue. I do want to clarify that the issue is not with the loop having play, it is the total buckle having too much play, and makes it flop over.

I do think I found a part of the problem, but not positive. Its tough to explain on a forum, but basically I think the connector to where the clip is connected was a little narrower then it needed to be. It allows for more play with the buckle. I tried to bend it out a little bit more, and it seems to tighten up the connection and limit the play. We'll see how it goes I guess, but I think it may be a temp solution. If I had better internet I'd post up a pic, but hopefully you get what I mean. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:21 pm 

summersgone wrote:
I don't have black foam on either of my clips, and never have, positive on that. Maybe that's an issue? Do you have a picture of what your talking about?
Okay I got ya, the buckle is loose and it sounds like you got that figured out. At any rate here are some pics...

The black foam

Rock impacts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:29 pm 

Interesting. I have a rubber ball type that accomplishes the same. I think I got it figured out, but we shall see. I'll report back if I have issues with hitting it. I was mostly concerned with it sitting out there that I could hit something and do some serious damage. Thanks Snurfer.

Hope you guys are getting something outta this storm system rolling through. Were at currently at blizzard warnings for the San Juans :bananas:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 pm 

If the mounting screw that threads into the board clip is too long it can contact the bail and prevent it from being flipped back. I have some shorter #10-32 screws that I can send out if you would like them. If these are still to long they can be cut down to allow for proper clearance.

Tyler and I really appreciate any critical feedback you have on our products. We are always striving to make our products the best they can be.

Thanks for the support!

Bryce
bryce@karakorambc.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:14 pm 

I dropped a few dabbles babbles of super duper glue into my clips, and they are quiet like a mouse in a house

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:55 pm 

No clip issues touring here today. So far, so good with the Ks... I added a pull string through the clip lever hole though for easier opening and closing which may keep them from "flopping" too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:44 pm 

Im thinking of using one Chinese hook on the front and buckle on the back

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:08 pm 

Hey Snurfer, how to the Karakoram clips work on your mojo? I've though about getting them but I just envision them being too tight with the cap construction. I.e.- pulling one half on top of the other.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm 

ehcarley wrote:
Hey Snurfer, how to the Karakoram clips work on your mojo? I've though about getting them but I just envision them being too tight with the cap construction. I.e.- pulling one half on top of the other.
A couple key things... First my board halves never matched perfectly and did exactly what you are afraid of, so the K clip initially made it worse... With some help from Voile's grinder and some fine tuning with a file I eliminated that issue...

Next, I think the K clips are too tight (just my opinion). So, on the fixed side (NOT the buckle side in my photos) I ovalised the holes with a drill bit to relieve some tension... A little goes a long way!

The clips will naturally pull the outer edges upward and inward in an upward V, its physically impossible for this not to happen without an equally tensioned clip on the bottom of the board (which is obviously pointless) ...
I know, I know the bindings remedy this, BUT remember most mortals must hook their board together before putting the bindings on. You don't need to be a mechanical engineer to understand and observe these basic physics and mechanics..

But I digress...

I also only use one K clip and one Yin Yang clip because I prefer to have something hold the board halves together in the field (e.g., in the wind, on sketchy summits, etc.) With cap construction and two K clips the board halves are unwieldy IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 am 

I would like to report back on this, I really did not want to put back on the chinese hooks, but I was getting pretty frustrated with the floppiness. My fix worked for about 8 steps, then it was dangling again, but not as bad.

I did what russman said and it fixed the problem perfecto.
russman wrote:
few dabbles babbles of super duper glue into my clips, and they are quiet like a mouse in a house
So big thanks to russman, I have to admit, I was slightly skeptical it would just lock it up, but makes it just enough resistance to stay now.

Glad I'm keeping these clips bc they are the shit. The only thing I haven't perfected is a efficient way of putting them together as fast. I find I now need an extra step to scrap ice from the inside of my edge, and then line it up, and bam. I think a small hookish thing on both clips would make the transition lining up much easier. I've tried to put it in the snow, but I haven't got it down yet. But I make up for it with other parts of the changover, and its minimal.

I have no had any issues with the clips hitting anything still, and been bushwhacking it up.

Overall, with that fixed, I must say I love em. Now if only it snowed here in the San Juans... You PNW'ers are making me jealous.