Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blaze's in Touring Mode-Torque on Climbing Wire?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:10 pm 

I'd be curious to know how many of the folks finding binding issues between the touring bracket and the Blaze are throwing the Blazes on brand new Voile hardware? With such tight clearances with brand new hardware all around I wouldn't doubt problems cropping up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:33 am 

Hi splitters,
My sincere apologies for this issue. It's very important to me and everyone at Spark R&D that our customers are 100% satisfied with our products. As always if you're having a problem or have a question about our stuff the most direct way you can get help is to drop me an email at will@sparkrandd.com or call the shop at 406.580.7674.

From the designer's perspective I wanted to have that part of the baseplate hug the touring bracket to make aligning and inserting the pins easy. That part of the baseplate was designed around the Voile brackets from 2-3 years ago. The new brackets are of a slightly different shape, and stick out further to the rear:
Image.

Our splits around the shop are all outfitted with either the older style Voile brackets or LT brackets, so the issue didn't pop up during testing. I was very surprised to hear that RideEverything had this problem with an older style Voile bracket, but I'm out of the loop on their revisions over time.

I got a set of the newer style Voile brackets and set them up on my split last weekend. We were lucky to get some early season snow here so I was able to get out for some half day missions. I took a brand new set of binders out of the box and started skinning. Like the others have said, the heel of my baseplate was about 3/4 of an inch off of the heel risers with no pressure on it. For the first few steps I could feel resistance but after a short time there was none (for reference I weigh 185lb). Basically the steel Voile bracket nibbled a little triangle off the aluminum baseplates:

The baseplates now sit flat with no pressure on them and the pins insert well as they now are matched to the brackets. The Voile brackets don't have a mark on them (same ones as photo above).

There are basically three options for people experiencing this problem. 1. Go touring and the material will be removed. 2. If you'd prefer, file that little piece off (take it slow!). or 3. You can send just your baseplates back to Spark R&D and we'll machine those pieces off. User modifications will not void the warranty. I do not endorse altering your Voile touring brackets.

Again sorry for any inconvenience guys, I want you to be completely happy with your bindings. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.

Big thanks to BCRider for the site and the support over the years! Much appreciated. Hopefully we'll get to make some turns this year bud!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 am 

Understandable Will, a couple of passes with the file is no big deal. No disrespect intended, stoked on the gear!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 am 

I love my Blaze's I set them up and they were money right out of the box. I took them for my first tour at Donner last weekend and they were totally flawless. I like them more than my CO2's and I would ride them on my fish if it was split. I did see the notation on the box that some modification may be required, but isn't that the reason that we all splitboard? Our board itself is such a radical modification that sanding or filling a piece of aluminum should be the last thing to freak out about. It's one more step. Build it up.

Remember what Shoeless Joe Jackson says, "If you build it, they will come." He had to have been thinking of snowflakes.

Hey Will, could you give me a job? I'm cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 pm 

Yes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm 

Sweet!!!!Here's my email.

gnarnpow@gmail.com

Let me know what I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm 

I went and hit the skin track and then hit it again and could not stop hitting it until I blacked out. When I came to a bunch of angry skiers chased me into a bear cave and I spontaneously combusted

:scratch:
must sleep
good night.