Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official "DEEPER" Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:43 am 

Hopefully most of us have seen this by now.

Thought we could open a discussion on the film, the folks involved, and oh yeah, the music! Jane's Addiction 'Ocean Size' instead of the obvious 'Coming Down the Mountain', Mason Jennings ‘California, Pt. 2’, Tommy Guerrero’s ‘Bullfights on Broadway’!... So many great tunes.

Really enjoyed the documentary style, bonus footage, the Mike Hatchet interview was cool (didn’t know TGR gave Standard the footage of JJ’s part in “Carpe Diem”), the Top-10 JJ video parts and all of the super sick riding.

First saw the flick in a theater in CO. When the team pulled out of the last run in Chamonix the entire audience cheered. How cool is it to salute judgment calls like that?

Anyhoo, just thought this movie deserved its own thread.

Any parts that really stood out for you?

Cheers,
SC
:thatrocks:

Post subject: Re: Official "DEEPER" Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 am 

I have def seen this movie too much already and glad for the topic :) . I wish I could of saw it in theaters, but Durango had now showings :( . But each time I see it, :drool: The riding is awesome and the climbing is awesome, and it fuels me each time I watch it. I remember the first time I watched I was wishing for more riding parts, but each time after I gain more appreciation for what was put down. I think the biggest standout for me is Ryland Bell. He was a rockstar, basically JJ but regular footed, and puts down some gnarly lines. I think I read that was his first time riding spines too :shock: . I wish they had gave him a better headcam though, Jeremy's put out some quality video. Rice's part in AK1 was awesome, that gap was nuts, wish he had made it back for AK round two.

Some suprises to me were not as much of Johan and Jonavan and Xavier that I was expecting in AK. There was also the exclusion of a couple runs I was hoping to see (The Psycho Pinner, Corregated other then briefly). Also, I would of loved to see some TB in there!

The lines that stood out are the obvious last three, Ryland basically made mince meat of JJ's second's, Xavier's line was scary, and JJ's line was mind blowing. His sluff management skills are off the charts. I think that JJ's line on the Swiss Face just basically scared the crap outta me. As for line of the movie I would say it goes to the Black Bomber! :lol:

Probably my favorite movie I've watched. It was just all around quality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:32 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Some suprises to me were not as much of Johan and Jonavan and Xavier that I was expecting in AK. There was also the exclusion of a couple runs I was hoping to see (The Psycho Pinner, Corregated other then briefly). Also, I would of loved to see some TB in there!

Gagreed! I was pumped to see some Johan but what was it, one run? Two? And why no TB lines? :( I know he was the guide and all but isn't a cherry part of being a guide shredding once and awhile? :lol:

summersgone wrote:
As for line of the movie I would say it goes to the Black Bomber! :lol:

Can see it now... Sleeping bags lost... "So, Josh... Wanna share a bag?"

Glad to see Josh Dirksen gettin' some. Seems like a cool dude.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 pm 

Quick rant: I ordered the Blu-Ray on Oct. 12.

On Oct. 19th, I got an email from TGR saying it won't ship until Nov. 24.

Seriously?

Annoying and amateurish.

End rant.

Psyched to see it before the winter!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:45 pm 

powpow wrote:

Seriously?

Annoying and amateurish.

End rant.

DOH! Well, in that case, the movie wasn't very good anyways. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:52 pm 

Overall the movie is awesome like no other. To have an earn your turns flick also be snowboard only is fucking rad!! It just wouldn't be the same if it was a bunch of ATers--duh! Gotta give it up for the music as well. Very very good selection--I like heavy music but can see why it can't be the only thing played on vids anymore. That being said, I want to puke every time I hear bad hip hop. Deeper does a great job of mixing it up with good beats throughout. Can't go wrong with Jane's!!!!!

Gotta say I was bummed TB didn't get one line in the flick too. Its not like he doesn't still rip. Also, I was hoping for a couple eastside lines as well. It does feel wrong to be bitching though, if I had to describe my most desired snowboard flick it would come out pretty damn close to Deeper.

Any rumors on JJ's next project?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:00 pm 

Best movie I've seen so far, haven't had a chance to watch the DVD extras yet, hoping for a bit more documentary content in there. The video quality was a bit suspect in several places - and not just the helmet cam stuff either. Maybe blu-ray if/when it ships will be better?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:29 pm 

^^^ In the extras, Chris Edmunds talks about wasted days like that. Climbing a 3000 foot line for a single take only to find out the footage is trash. Different set of hardships than a down day on a heli.

Overall though, excellent film! Saw at the Dancing Sasquatch in Banff where the audio was terrible... However every time Jonaven Moore had a segment it was outrageous. It just got ridiculous at the end there, on the 2nd AK trip. Wall after wall of spines, the money shot for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm 

Surprised that it didn't come up here yet, (Or I probably missed it!?) but you can buy it on Itunes for $8.99. Pretty awesome deal I reckon! Was very surprised to find it there! Was planning to go to the Premiere in Encinitas, but was stoked to be able to see earlier!
As for the movie: Completely insane! I haven't bought a snowboard video in like 10 years and now I feel like a drooling kid again! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 pm 

powpow wrote:

Seriously?

Annoying and amateurish.

End rant.

This

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 pm 

The biggest reason why there is not shots of my riding in the flick is I was the guide. I was toting around a full pack 35 plus pounds of gear not including water or food plus a 45-50 pound rescue sled (with things like Oxygen, full fracture kits, stove and fuel, emergency food, extra bivi gear, etc.) that I would drag around so that I had safety gear out in the field while the riders were doing their thing. So I was working my ass off doing the mountain safety, avalanche forecasting, rider safety with glacier travel, route selection, safety with the film crew and their travel, positions etc., So I just did not get a chance to get in front of the camera except for a few times, but it was with my full guide pack when I did. The footage just does not hold up compared to what the riders are doing with light packs. So shots just do not make the movie. That is how the edit goes. Only the best shots make it that tell the story.

Hope this helps and lets people know a little more of what my part of the movie turned out to be.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 am 

Tom,
Thanks for the clarification, I expected that, and huge respect to you for what you did there. Just still would of love to seen a couple turns, you were obviously a big part of the trip, and that in itself deserved a shot IMO. I know there was a good picture out there of you ripping on the first AK trip (can't relocate it) which was good to see. But I don't obviously don't do the editing, and the movie was $$ as is anyways. Just had to pick something I wanted more of from the movie. :twocents:
Ecobrad wrote:
It does feel wrong to be bitching though, if I had to describe my most desired snowboard flick it would come out pretty damn close to Deeper.
What he said :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 am 

Tom Burt wrote:
The biggest reason why there is not shots of my riding in the flick is I was the guide. I was toting around a full pack 35 plus pounds of gear not including water or food plus a 45-50 pound rescue sled (with things like Oxygen, full fracture kits, stove and fuel, emergency food, extra bivi gear, etc.) that I would drag around so that I had safety gear out in the field while the riders were doing their thing. So I was working my ass off doing the mountain safety, avalanche forecasting, rider safety with glacier travel, route selection, safety with the film crew and their travel, positions etc.
Tom

summersgone wrote:
Tom,
Thanks for the clarification, I expected that, and huge respect to you for what you did there.

Bingo. :bow:

Thank you for the post, Tom. :band: Made my day.

Going to watch the film again this weekend. It's been kinda hard with my 15 mo. old buzzing around asking me to read him "Puppy Friends" for the 1,000th time.
"Son, look at that SPINE!"
"Puppy!"
Maybe someday. :lol: