Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Insoles
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:56 am 

I like Sole heat molding custom insoles. I use the standard model, but I mold them differently from the instructions. I worked as a bootfitter for a couple of seasons, and have some training in biomechanics and custom insole building. I mold my Soles outside the boot (assuming boots with a flat board board inside), using a thick Thermarest pad to stand on. I take the hot Soles from the oven and place on the Thermarest (inflated, fairly firm) and then stand on top of the Soles in thin socks, making sure to hold my legs in a neutral position, with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent. The Thermarest provides some force, to help press the arch up-this simulates the molding platform used by some weight bearing insole molding methods. If you do not know how to achieve a neutral position, you are probably better off getting assistance from a good bootfitter. Bootfitting is an art/science, and the experience of the expert should be highly considered.
With an expert to mold them for you, excellent results can be had from the top of the line Superfeet Cork-Vac models, but they will usually need post molding posting by an expert to get the best results. The Cork Vacs are also very light, and better insulating than the plastic based Soles-but they can be bungled if molded by an inexperienced person, ask around and find the local boot fitting guru that all the best skiers swear by-these experts can make a world of difference in the comfort/performance of your boot fit.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/