Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help choose: Venture Zephyr, Lib Tech Voila, NS Summit or?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:46 am 

Hi guys,

I am looking for something like this:
    - around 159 - 161
    - effective edge close to 120 (117 - 121)
    - as wide as I can get: prefer 26 or 27, because boots are 11-11.5 and toe / heel drag sucks
    - Want flat or rockered underfoot, as I am gaga over how my K2 Turbo Dream 156 (2009/2010 model) rides :bananas:
    - Magnetraction seems like a good idea too, if I can get it
    - I think I don't want too much sidecut - need stability on steeps

I am in the PNW - Alpy, Crystal, Stevens areas. Would like to ride mostly powder + trees, some steep and hard chutes, too.
However, I may spend time on groomers with my kids who are just starting. I figure anything will work reasoably well there, if it works for steep chutes :roll:

WIll pair the split with Blazes.

Seems the closest to what I want are:
    - Venture Zephyr
    - Never Summer Summit
    - Lib Tech Voila.

Please share pros and cons, offer alternatives - thank you!

Post subject: Re: Help choose: Venture Zephyr, Lib Tech Voila, NS Summit or?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 am 

The Neversummer Heritage might be a better fit for you than the Summit. It's classified as a big mountain freestyle board, but really it's an all around slayer. It's also more of a traditional shape than the Summit, so it'll be a better board for those on piste days. The Heritage X is the wide model so if you got one of those you'd have no problems with toe drag though I think you'd be fine with the regular Heritage. Also, Neversummer has their Vario Grip sidecut which is their take on a grip enhancing sidecut. Holds a good edge, but not nearly as hooky as some of more aggressive magne sidecuts. If you do get a magne board, make sure it's one of the more mellow magne sidecuts. The Jones boards are a good example of Magne done right.

PM Vman for info on getting the Heritage. I believe they are going to start making the first boards sometime in December. He'll let you know what's up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 am 

Great options (minus the Voila, I saw it, drilling your own board is just ridiculous, I would stay clear). I have a Zephyr Split 159 and a solid Legacy 156. I love the Legacy, its a good all around board for the mountain, doesn't sink, playful, all around awesome. I would like to try the Heritage or Raptor, NS makes sick boards. The only comment I have on the Zephyr since I just got it two days ago and its only being admired is it is damn sexy :rock: , and I can't wait to ride it, it is going to be excellent. It has a different rocker, and made for more one way riding, if you want to ride switch a lot, the Heritage would be better probably.

If your talking about a solid board, I would vote for Heritage X or Raptor X, can't go wrong with the Legacy either. If your talking about a splitter, go for the Zephyr 160 (26w), then probably the Heritage, only in that order due to price IMO. I think NS are quite high on the price range, and not worth the extra $100 on top of Venture, but I'm sure it would be sweet. On a good note for NS, I think NS edge tech is better looking then Venture, and probably closer to a magna feel, but not as "hooky". You will like the edge hold of it.

Killclimbz, wasn't it you who was saying last year VMan was thinking of releasing a Raptor Split this year? Never materialized or what? That board would have been oh so sick. IMO, if NS was the same price as Venture, my choice for board this year would have been a lot harder. Prob would of ended up with a Heritage. If they made the Raptor, prob would of had to get that. :twocents:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:57 am 

I hate to say this, because I'm usually a big fan of Lib Tech- but don't by the Viola. Having to drill your own holes is stupid. I did see a rumor that next year they will come drilled, but that is next year. Killclimbz knows his shit, so does summersgone.

If it was me, I'd get the venture based mostly on price tag. But I haven't ridden either yet, so YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 am 

They were originally going to do the Raptor as a split. Then when they sat back and thought about it, Neversummer already has a directional big mountain board in the Summit. So they were basically going to offer the same thing in a design that was a bit more of a hard charger. What they didn't have was something that was more of a Freestyle option, so that is why they went with the Heritage instead. Which is another fantastic board. Hopefully the Raptor will become a split in the following seasons as their line grows. I'm seeing really great things coming from these guys in the split world.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 am 

Killclimbz, makes sense businesswise on NS part. I would love to get on the Raptor at some point, or at least see one. I have a feeling when I look to get a new resort board, that will be #1 choice. Heritage looks sweet too. Def beefier then my Legacy, but that thing is fun as well. Its snowing in SW Colorado! :bananas:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 am 

I demo'd a Heritage yesterday. Pretty sweet board. Was more of a big mountain board than a freestyle board if that makes any sense. Probably the favorite board I took out at the demo days yesterday. Definitely top three. I should have brought my split binders with me. I could have taken out the Solution.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:40 pm 

Thank you for the intel!

It seems then that NS is top contender for me right now, probably Heritage but may go Summit if I have to wait much...

The Solution is interesting, but I think I'll have more fun with rocker between the bindings, thus NS. Would have been great to hear how you compare Solution and Heritage, Killclimbz!

THanks again!
Ivo