Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats the lightest weight commercially available splitboard?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:41 pm 

I wish they posted the actual weight of the boards so we can compare. I picked up one of the new Voile splits to look at the other day, and it felt quite heavy. It had the complete mounted kit, including the binding plates and pins. I currently have a 165 Prior Backcountry which to me, feels kind of heavy. If I am going to get new gear (already have the new Sparks) I want to improve the weight of the whole system.

Post subject: Re: Whats the lightest weight commercially available splitboard?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm 

Obviously it is going to depend on the size, but check out Sentury. I had quite a few guys comment on how light my board was at the Kali party (and at the time it was 3 years old and they are lighter now). They are in the middle of their website redesign and will post weights soon I am told.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 pm 

Based on the backcountry mag split review, I think the lightest was the Jones and the Prior AMF.

Don't know about Sentury or Unity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 pm 

Posting digital weights is something we should all push the companies to do. If skiers get dynafits on carbon fiber skis and utlralight plastic boots, the least our industry can do is post board weights.

I kind of see splitboard technology taking off in a huge way in the next few years. There are a lot of solid boards out there that have amazing amounts of technology put into them (Burton Method, Vapor, T6; Nidecker Ultralight & Megalight etc..). At this point, there aren't any factory splitboards that have had a ton of funds dumped into them. The way I see it, the whole setup (board + bindings + interface) should weigh less than 10 pounds. At least that is a killer goal. Granted, splitties are expensive enough without carbon fiber or aluminum honeycomb...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
Burton Freeride 25.5x162 = NA (Kyle can you chime in with a weight?)

Jones Solution 25.4x164 = 7lb 9oz

Lib-Tech Voila 26.2x164.5 = 6lb 4oz (though this is likely without tip/tail clips, chinese hooks and inserts)

NeverSummer Summit 25.4x164 = 9lb 3oz

Prior Backcountry 26x165 = 8lb
Prior AMF 25.2x164 = 7lb 8oz
Prior Swallowtail 26x172 = 8lb 10oz

Unity Dominion 25x164 = 8lb 8oz

Venture Helix 25x162 = 8lb 3oz
Venture Storm 25x165 = 8lb 6oz
Venture Zephyr 25x159 = 8lb

Voile MojoRX 25.5x161 = 7lb 14oz

Winterstick TB 25.7x172 = 8lb 12oz

Sentury Dimension 25.1x162 = 7lb 1.8oz
Sentury Sync 25.5x162 = 8lb 1.4oz

pulled this over from an existing thread. It will be a little more difficult to get weights on all Sentury split models as they offer many split models and up to 3 width choices per model.

To add to this, Sentury is working to drop the board weights an additional pound for next season pending Beta testing this winter!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:05 pm 

Anyone remember way back in the late 90's when companies like Mervin were experimenting with "air core" or honeycomb cores. Theses boards were the lightest on the market. And what happened?? People were snaping them left and right.. Id rather have an overweight bomber board and focus on making everthing else lighter (ex Backpack, outerwear, overnight gear) Boards are meant to be thrashed, therefore must be durable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:28 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
Boards are meant to be thrashed, therefore must be durable.
Yup, #1 reason I went with a Venture. And why I will ride NS solids from now on. I'll take my 8lbs Zephyr over something that isn't durable and a pound lighter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:06 pm 

summersgone wrote:
aksltxlt wrote:
Boards are meant to be thrashed, therefore must be durable.
Yup, #1 reason I went with a Venture. And why I will ride NS solids from now on. I'll take my 8lbs Zephyr over something that isn't durable and a pound lighter.

Fortunately Sentury boards aren't made by Mervin and this isn't the 90's. Sentury produces nothing but solid wood cores for their boards. Lots of new renovations have been introduced in the past 20 years that have made lighter possible in the snowboarding industry. And isn't this thread about light weight?! Just sayin :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:01 am 

I don't really care about board weight too much but I do think craftsmanship, durability and customer service are REQUIRED.

Believe me, I want a Sierra split builder to be successful as much as anyone but, to be honest Ken, until Sentury proves that they've got all three of those they're going to have a hard time. There has been much discussion/pictures about Sentury's problems through the years and before I'll throw down big coin I've got to have confidence "it will be ok".

No one should take this as an attack to Sentury, I WANT them to succeed!!!! Splitboards are just too much money to take chances though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:58 am 

I should just lose 20 pounds and buy whatever. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 am 

Trab skis seem to be doing well and not exploding, and with lots of air space in the cores. Anyone hear otherwise. I reckon developments from the euro race rando world will be the ones that lighten up our gear eventually.

I dont think you could make a 6 pound split that would not let a good rock go halfway into the core. Has anyone seen a good rock shot into a Goode foam core ski, I have no info there. Their big and wide bc skis in 180 length and width like a snowboard weigh an amazing 6lbs together. The Goode STR8, 181 cm, 27cm wide for a pair at 6.1 lbs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:59 pm 

It's actually kind of funny and due to trade secrets I can't divulge some of the things I know about Ben's history with prominent snowboard and splitboard manufacturers, but there are more than quite a few of you who are already riding on technology that Ben has introduced to this market. Durability and craftsmanship is not an issue here. I do believe that quicker response times with customer service could use a little help and is one of the things they are working on improving at the moment.

I know not everyone is a weight weenie and looking to reduce the weight of their gear. Many people think that heavier weight is a sign of stability, strength and durability. I get that, but not everything is as it appears and without ever trying it out, you just don't know what you are missing.

These are the guys who are pushing towards new product innovation in a field that is currently dominated by stale technology. Not everyone will be accepting of this because it threatens everything they think they know about this sport. Splitboarding isn't the answer, it's a lifestyle and ever changing as all things must do with time.

And they are still the lightest manufactured splitboard on the market!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:36 am 

Great, another fanboy. Has anyone owned a Sentury split for more than one season? What ever happen with that new custom board that fell a part in NZ? Dude got no response till he dogged them online. You wouldn't love them so much if you didn't know them. Everything I've seen and heard, except for fanboy here, is that Sentry makes shitty boards that fall apart and they don't stand by there shit.

Your right though, there a couple oz lighter than most, have at it!

rughty wrote:
It's actually kind of funny and due to trade secrets I can't divulge some of the things I know about Ben's history with prominent snowboard and splitboard manufacturers, but there are more than quite a few of you who are already riding on technology that Ben has introduced to this market. Durability and craftsmanship is not an issue here. I do believe that quicker response times with customer service could use a little help and is one of the things they are working on improving at the moment.

I know not everyone is a weight weenie and looking to reduce the weight of their gear. Many people think that heavier weight is a sign of stability, strength and durability. I get that, but not everything is as it appears and without ever trying it out, you just don't know what you are missing.

These are the guys who are pushing towards new product innovation in a field that is currently dominated by stale technology. Not everyone will be accepting of this because it threatens everything they think they know about this sport. Splitboarding isn't the answer, it's a lifestyle and ever changing as all things must do with time.

And they are still the lightest manufactured splitboard on the market!!!