Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's Talk Insoles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 pm 

Haven't seen much in this department here, other than the recommendation to throw out whatever came with the boot and go with an aftermarket insole be it off the shelf or some custom orthopedic job. I'm poor so turns by heli in AK and professionally done custom orthodics are kinda out of the question.

And of course the problem it seems with the general variety of aftermarket insoles is that, well, there is only a general variety. We all know there really isn't a quiver of one when it comes to boards, which is why nearly all of us own more than one. Different boards for different conditions. Same goes for nearly every other piece of gear we own, be it jackets, goggle lens tints, etc... Why not the same for insoles? I don't move same way in my snowboard boots as compared to my hiking boots, nor is my stance the same. So why would I use the same insole?

Well, a pair of Shred Soles (http://www.shredsoles.com/index.asp) showed up in the mail today and I'm rather excited. There appears to be a serious difference between these and the standard insole in my Malamute liner. First impressions:

^^^The canting - woah...

^^^Arch support - nearly non-existant on the Solly footbed as compared to the Shred Sole.

Overall workmanship/quality of materials - Way up from before.

Tried them on in my boots, just standing there, a significant difference was felt between the boot with a Shred Sole vs the one standard insole. Cool. Gonna heat mold them and the liners sometime this week. Photos added.

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Insoles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:35 pm 

thoughts on how much inner volume you lose with the Shred? i likely need to get some new insoles to further cushion my gimpy back, very intrigued...

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:03 pm 

i have been using sole insoles, they are amazing i have always had back and hip problems with heavy load packs but with them in all my boots there hasnt been any pains whatsoever. well worth it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 pm 

here is the link http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/ they make a mountaineering insole i havent tried yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm 

Unmolded, the loss of volume is quite noticeable, especially across the top of the ankle likely due to the high arch of the Shred. Overall, across the top of the foot, everything feels 'tighter'. A good tighter though, I'm one who hates foot slop. My right foot is a slightly higher volume I think, and due to the canting along the outside of the Shred, it feels slightly tighter than the left.

Keep in mind, this footbed is intended to be baked & molded, so fit out of the box isn't going to be perfect. I've noticed a few spots, just from standing, around the arch on the left that don't fit as well as the right (still, significantly better arch support than the stock insoles).

These are size 41 Malamutes I'm in, 08/09 models I think, with one season on them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:55 pm 

the sole insoles are baked in your home oven, are the shreds the same deal?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 pm 

Yep. Pretty easy. Put my liners for 15 minutes at 200F, the insoles in for the last minute, then quickly put the whole show together, jammed my feet in and stood for 10 minutes. These Shred Soles are pretty neat. The canting and wedging makes it tough to stand flat footed with your feet together, however spread apart in a natural snowboard stance is super comfortable. Cool!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm 

great stuff guys!

avyman - what Sole model are you rockn in your softboots (assuming that's your setup)?

dave - now that you molded them, is the volume occupied by the Shred similar to the original stock insole?

162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 am 

i use the ultra and the response soles, the ultras dont fit in everything but they fit in some of my board boots like my forums and my 32's but not my burtons or atomics but generaly the ultras fit in all my footwear except those boots and my trail running shoes which i will have to purchase the thin sports.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:26 am 

I use the green superfeet. I've always used them in my mountaineering boots and my snowboard boots, I really like them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 am 

IME Superfeet provide great support, but little added cushioning, YMMV

162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:07 pm 

The canting looks like a good idea for lift days but seems like it might not be the best idea for splitting since you spend most of your time in tour mode with the feet close together.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
The canting looks like a good idea for lift days but seems like it might not be the best idea for splitting since you spend most of your time in tour mode with the feet close together.

I've been pondering that as well, however we won't really know until we try right? Looks like I'm the guinea pig.