Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: drool material
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 pm 

So, since i made this last season, i have been schizophrenic about how to post it here. As it is snowing here in telluride, and Wagner/Winterstick is about to get cranking again, I guess i'll just keep it at a minimum and give you stokers a bit of fuel for your fire.

So without further ado...

:drool:
Please excuse me for drooling on myself... C'mon snow!

P.s. I added the hardware later, I liked the look of this naked. Here is the one with the hardware.

Post subject: Re: drool material
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 pm 

Way rad! :shock: :drool: :rock: Thanks for sharing. Very refreshing among all the same ole, same ole....

Is it built by Wagner? to the WS specs?

Its sucking pretty bad that the lone ST option for splits is a slightly modified twin tip shape (e.g., prior)
Still saving my coin to build/have built my own custom ST.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 pm 

:bow: My god that is awesome. It would look good with the White Wave traction pads methinks. A real deal snow surfer!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:13 am 

Nice! Are you saying you built it your self od got Wagner to buidl it? Either wa,y, it looks really fun!

Any detail shots?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 am 

Ok, so yes I (we of course) built it, and yes, for Wagner/Winterstick to the latest SwT Specs.

It's the prototype. I had been saying for the several years that we need to split that baby, :banghead: and we have the capabilities (if not quite the ease yet, especially in boards...) of doing pretty much what ever we can dream up almost as easily as we do our already custom skis. So we put it together and it came out sweet with a Tasmanian eucalyptus topsheet (one time only topsheet, sorry). Good news is

Winterstick now offers Splits of our entire line, the ST62, ST66, TBpro72 AND
the split Swallowtail.
:shock:
Yes really.

I'm not the marketing department, but the SpSwT has

Full wrapped one piece edge. Means one seam per board.
Rockered Tapered design that started it all 30 years ago (around when i was born...ha) and has evolved to perfection since.

Feel like i could write you guys an essay, but already feel a bit like an ad so i'll chill out. Guess ill try to get us a official forum under boards...

I saw people goin for a skin on Monarch pass today as i drove by!

Ride on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 am 

definitely a massive pile of drool on my keyboard, but here's a question

I didn't get too good of a look at Tom Burt's ride, but one thing that really puzzles me is the touring bracket's pivot point. Skinning up maritime powder: seems like it would demand a massive topsheet squeegee on your poles and counterweights in the tail with this design? Or is there so much rocker that it's impossible to submarine the split ski under massive piles of snow while breaking trail? :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:17 am 

SchralphMacchio wrote:
Skinning up maritime powder: seems like it would demand a massive topsheet squeegee on your poles and counterweights in the tail with this design? Or is there so much rocker that it's impossible to submarine the split ski under massive piles of snow while breaking trail? :scratch:
I doubt this thing would submarine, BUT I wonder about snow build-up as well. That nose is much wider than other swallowtails and I also wonder about traversing in ski mode.... No doubt a sick board though...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:28 pm 

Snow buildup is a problem for everybody, but i find a pre-session spray and wipe of pam does pretty well with most plastic topsheets. I wax the top of this baby with base wax and then pam it, keeps snow off for a little while at least.

And no it doesn't submarine. ever. ;) it WANTS to break trail.

As for the bracket position, i really couldnt push it far up enough without affecting stance options. And i don't really find that it bothers me.

Traversing is the Achilles heel of soft boot splitting to me. You really need a hard boot setup to make it perform sideways anywhere near most ski setups. What ever happened to the 3-strap binding? a 3rd strap on the back would go far...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 pm 

Do you have any pictures of the base? What type of wood did you use for the construction? Did you glue several layers together?

That would be a really fun project! How long did it take you?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:56 pm 

dendrologic wrote:
And no it doesn't submarine. ever. ;) it WANTS to break trail.

That makes sense. I hear you on the touring brackets, dictated by a lot of things there ... I still have this funny image in my head a faceful of snow and a huge pile of it going down my jacket (which is not fully zipped during skinning) on every kick turn with that pivot point though :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm 

There;s a lot of mass ahead of the pivot to keep the tips dropping, and I'd be clanking the damn things together on every kick turn, but who cares?. You go up to go down, right? That thing will strictly SHRED. :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:03 pm 

sick. i bumped an old WS thread since TB has the announcement on his blog

http://blog.winterstick.com/