Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Snowboard Journal Issue #7
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:36 am 

Just picked issue #7 There's a article on the amazing snow year in Tahoe w/ some kill pictures and quotes from the likes of Tom Burt, Jermey Jones, and others. Here's a few excerpts:

Mads Jonsson: "Riding Tahoe this year was epic...All in all, the season has been my most memorable yet."

Frederik Kalbermatten: "I got to ride more lines in Tahoe than heli boarding in B.C. because Tahoe had great snow and sunshine"

Tom Burt: "The winter startin October 20 with six-plus feet of mid-winter snow. It seemed like February in October and the backcountry was epic. We had colder and drier snow than normal, so a lot of the steeps filled in and new lines appeared where they wouldn't be possible any other year...Pow days continued through May, and the local resorts closed May 30. It dumped again on June 17 for the fourth time that month. I can't say when this season will end for me. Nine months and counting."

Jeremy Jones: "...Tired, sore and sun-cooked. The last three days were the best conditions I have seen in years and I took full advantage of them by hiking my ass off and hitting every feature and line I could find.

An here's a great endorsement for splitting from Mark Lanvik:

"...as soon as I would start to hike something, a group of skiers would fly by me with skins on their skis. You snooze, you lose in Tahoe."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 pm 

sounds great.

I wonder if they will return my call about covering more splitboarding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:20 pm 

Did you tell them you wanted to write an article or suggest they cover splitting more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:35 pm 

all of the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:58 pm 

I don't know shit about photography, are the pictures that you, Matt, BCD, etc take good enough quality for The Snowboard Journal? It seems that their all about quality picts. It does seem like all the picts are from pro photographers though.

I don't think people realize you can ride stuff like this on a split.

What do you think about someone else writing an article about Splitboard.com. Interviews and picts of you riding? I nominate Jim. If not The Snowboard Journal, Couloir or Backcountry Magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:17 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
I don't know shit about photography, are the pictures that you, Matt, BCD, etc take good enough quality for The Snowboard Journal?

Unfortunately no. They want slide film or really high quality digital. Aside from the picture quality, they also need the riding quality. While I can pose for a decent shot in a TR…I'm no where near the ability that the public wants and expects to see when picking up the snowboard journal. We need professional photogs and professional riders involved if we want to see splitboarding stuff in the mags. Weekend warriors aren't going to cut it.

Ecobrad wrote:
What do you think about someone else writing an article about Splitboard.com. Interviews and picts of you riding?

That would be great! I suck at writing. Splitboard.com and self promotion isn't the mission though…splitboarding is the mission. I would be happy with any effort they put towards the sport. Something as small as using a picture where you can tell the rider is on a split all the way up to a feature story on splitboarding.

We just need a little love. :)

How about an article on the Splitboard Cover-Up? Explaining how the magazines, film companies, MFGs, and riders have all basically ignored this segment of snowboarding because they are sheep that follow trends and image more than what the sport is actually about...............................snowboarding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:21 am 

Most of what BCR says makes sense to me, however the last time i picked up a mainstream snowboard mag they said the same thing you say in your last paragraph.
The adverts, interviews and editorials are all pointing fingers at the "sheep" and the sellouts and the corporate interests, and how we should be supporting snowboard companies run by snowboarders. But they're doin' the same thing the corporate companies do...and of course half the "snowboarding" companies are about clothing.
oh yah, and how there's no soul left in the industry, not like back in '99 ( and back in '99 they referenced the soul back in '89).
No mileage to be made pointing out the cover-up, you end up looking like a cynical old hippie ( of course there's nothing wrong with looking like a cynical old hippie...i am one myself)
Peace Love and Granola
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:04 am 

bcrider wrote:
Unfortunately no. They want slide film or really high quality digital. Aside from the picture quality, they also need the riding quality.

We need professional photogs and professional riders involved if we want to see splitboarding stuff in the mags. Weekend warriors aren't going to cut it.

I agree with the need for better quality shots, and MANY more of them. I'm not sure I agree 100% with the need for these so-called pro riders to throw down to get the exposure though. YES, if its guys like Tom Burt throwing down sick lines. I've got to meet my fair share of "PROS" and nothing turns me off to the sport more. No offense, there sick 180 foot gap backside three is real cool looking but most of them can't even turn there damn board! yes, you need someone w/ skills to throw down some inspiring lines.

Not to mention, I feel most of these kids today that are PROS don't really represent the share of the market that splitboarding should market too. There are a lot of these guys pushing the clothing element.

While it would be cool to see something on splitting in Transworld SB or Snowboard Mag, I think those magazine actually kind of suck. They seem to have no problem having their TOP 10 RESORT articles(which happen to be the same as the TOP 10 from the last 10 YEARS) I, personally get way more appreciations seeing "REAL" fucking guys/gals getting out there. While, the down part is definitely what gets me going but I think some of the scenic shots/terrain u get to experience on the split is a major selling point of that type of board that I think is a little neglected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:02 am 

Gary,
I should have added a winky ;) …I'm only partially serious on that story idea.
Ps. I am definitely cynical…but I aint no HIPPY! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:59 am 

arrg, it was too early in the morning...otherwise i woulda seen that implied winky :wink:
sorry for the soapbox, but i've just read a (free) copy of a mainstream board-rag here in canada...and it was cover to cover "they don't understand real snowboarding, they're only in it for the money". Pissed me off so bad i couldn't see the humour in your post.

as you're not a hippie, how about:
Peace, Love, and Anarchy! :twisted:
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 pm 

I think one of the reasons that splitting will (unfortunately) never see coverage, is the market that magazines target. I even lost hope in the mags that “keep it realâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:49 pm 

To touch on mtnrider's post.

Exposure is exposure…our sport needs whatever it can get. I agree that TWS and Snowboarder don't represent our market as well as say Couloir and Backcountry but those other mags do represent snowboarding…and splitboarding is a segment of snowboarding so they should cover it to a certain extent in my opinion.

I haven't really enjoyed TWS in years but I was very stoked to see a one page article they did on splitboarding in the upcoming Oct 2006. This is the type of stuff I would like to see more of. Do I expect them to change the mission with their mag? No. I just want the sport to get a little recognition for what it is…an aspect of snowboarding (just like jibbing).

I've recently made contact with an editor at TWS and confirmed that they have at least one more page planned for splitboarding content this year. This excites me. Are they the perfect mag for our target audience? No, but they do have thousands of subscribers that will see the article and be exposed to splitboarding.

The Snowboard Journal and Frequency are the mags I'd really like to see step up their splitboard coverage. Those mags are really cool and the target market seems to be more in line with ours.

Couloir and Backcountry will most likely continue to cover splitboarding which is great for the sport. But there are thousands and thousands of snowboarders that will never pick up a copy of either publication.

As for who gets into the mags mtnrider. You need to remember the politics that surround those decisions. While we'd like to think that anyone and everyone could get published as long as the shot is good…that just is not the reality of it. Not only does the rider matter, but who he rides for matters, and the photog that took the picture matters. It sucks but its just part of the game. That's not to say that unknowns can't get published…it's just harder.

In response to Jack's post.

I don't really agree. I think if the rider and MFG support was there, the mags would pay more attention to this segment. If more riders that work with professional photographers were using splitboards and submitting their pictures to the magazines, the coverage would increase. If MFGs advertised in the magazines, coverage would increase.

Splitboarding will never (nor should) be a mainstream sport, but I do think the numbers will grow and riders get older, tired of resorts, and want to ride fresh powder more. Sure it takes a unique individual but those folks are out there. It's just a matter of time. :)

Ps. Jack, send the fine folks at Frequency a quick email to let them know how you felt about the last issue. They will appreciate your feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:40 pm 

bcrider wrote:
As for who gets into the mags mtnrider. You need to remember the politics that surround those decisions. While we'd like to think that anyone and everyone could get published as long as the shot is good…that just is not the reality of it. Not only does the rider matter, but who he rides for matters, and the photog that took the picture matters. It sucks but its just part of the game. That's not to say that unknowns can't get published…it's just harder.

:lol: I forget about politics, mainly cause I don't care for them but you're right. I don't expect to see everyone in the magazines though, if you do have the skills and have someone to get the worth while shot then it should get some publicity. I just forget how butt-buddy driven the industry really is. I just feel that a more established audience for splitting is whom needs to be targeted rather than just getting the exposure in general. Those types of kids don't care about splitting or anything to do w/ personal effort.

The snowboard market in general goes after the PS2 XBOX buy me this mommy and daddy or boo-hoo-hoo on you. I feel sick now, better get back to work. :lol:

PS Splitboard.com and the cool heads here push splitting way more already than a one page split article ever will.