Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Bomber Splitboard Binding
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 am 

Stagger Lee,

We are just finishing up production on our new splitboard binding. Yes, it will be using the new Sidewinder design from our alpine snowboard binding as it adds a huge amount of lateral flex to the system. And as us hardbooters know we need this in a split set-up as we generally do not have cant and left options. It really suits the split use well.

If you guys have any specific question on the new model please ask away, I'll do my best.

Cheers,

Bomber Industries, Inc
Email: fin(..at..)bomberonline.com
129 W. 10th St. Unit A
P.O. Box 1667, Silverthorne, CO, 80498
970/513-7733 Fax: 970/513-7833
BomberOnline.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:14 pm 

Thanks Fin :thatrocks:

Can you let us know when they're available?

Also, have you tried touring in them or are they intended to be used in conjunction with the dynafidles? I'm dynafit equipped but I'm just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 pm 

Thanks Fin! Looking forward to these...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 am 

Stagger Lee,

Should be available end of this month. What you can do is sign-up for our online newsletter on the front page of our website and then you will get notice when the new stuff is ready :thumpsup:

They are like our last split binding, you use them up and down. However, Dynafit boots will work just fine in them. Any DIN standard hardshell boots works.

Bomber Industries, Inc
Email: fin(..at..)bomberonline.com
129 W. 10th St. Unit A
P.O. Box 1667, Silverthorne, CO, 80498
970/513-7733 Fax: 970/513-7833
BomberOnline.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:35 pm 

Hey Fin,

Thanks for letting us know how things are coming along!

Buell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm 

Now selling! :rock:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/splitboard.cfm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:50 pm 

i dont want to hack on any company committed to splitboarding, but bushing? really! I dealt with those in the 90's in my mountain bike forks. what a fucking nightmare. they dont respond to temp changes well. and they pack out leaving you with a ton of slop.

KISS. just a simple one piece binding with adjustable bails. that is all i want.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:57 pm 

Good points.... I'm guessing cold isn't an issue since the concept has been on the slopes for a while, but perhaps longevity will be an issue...
Either way, I figure since I'm still riding a bike with a headshok and rockshok seatpost, at least I'll be consistently old school :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:04 am 

I just ordered a pair. I figured "what the hell". I've spent 27 years abusing skate truck bushings with no real issues. I just replace them when they're toasted. I'm guessing these bindings will be easier to service than a mountain bike but I could be wrong.

If anyone in SLC is curious and wants to have a look at them let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 pm 

Stagger Lee wrote:
I just ordered a pair. I figured "what the hell". I've spent 27 years abusing skate truck bushings with no real issues. I just replace them when they're toasted.

that is a great point. I wonder if in the future there will be options on bushing density?

if I had the cash I would be willing to give them a go. interested to hear what you have to say after a season on them. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 pm 

Stagger Lee wrote:
I just ordered a pair. I figured "what the hell". I've spent 27 years abusing skate truck bushings with no real issues. I just replace them when they're toasted. I'm guessing these bindings will be easier to service than a mountain bike but I could be wrong.

If anyone in SLC is curious and wants to have a look at them let me know.

I'm your huckleberry. I'd be happy to trade out one of my sets of Sparks with you on a tour. If they check out I'll be adding a set to my Dynafit set-up.

It's cool to see these. I was actually working with Will at Spark on an identical concept 2 years ago, it appears no good ideas are original...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm 

Taft wrote:
Stagger Lee wrote:
I just ordered a pair. I figured "what the hell". I've spent 27 years abusing skate truck bushings with no real issues. I just replace them when they're toasted.

that is a great point. I wonder if in the future there will be options on bushing density?

if I had the cash I would be willing to give them a go. interested to hear what you have to say after a season on them. :thatrocks:

Check the bomber store, elastomer pads come in soft(yellow) or medium(blue) and are pretty easy to change out. Hard(red) may become available but start to defeat the purpose unless your a really big guy, say 220+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:54 pm 

I just got a pair of Sidewinders for Christmas and have ridden them a couple of times on-piste.

Prior to these new bindings, I was riding Snow-Pros (toe and heel) bindings on a Voile slider plate. canted 3 degrees (both front and rear binding. I ride a stock Scarpa F1 Boot

I was experiencing a lot flex and chatter from my Venture Storm R 163 with the SnowPros bindings, on hard heel-side turns (on-piste). Last year, I rode a Prior Backcountry 178 (cambered) splitboard with the Snow Pros and did not have this problem. I think the chatter has to due to the fact that the Storm R is rockered and I am riding a much shorter board, than before.

Riding Storm with the Sidewinders"; I feel very secure in them, they are Bomber, no more plastic pieces.
Great turn initiation, I am able to shift my weight over the bindings, better than before. Even better: the Sidewinder bindings dampens the ride, so....NO MORE CHATTER from the rockered board. I get a clean carve on groomed intermediate and black diamond terrain. :D

I purchase these binders at Bomber's Shop in Silverthrone, CO, Fin was able correct the heel height of the binding, by grinding the heel stop to accommodate the lower heel hight of my F1 AT boot. My Raichle freecarve hardboots have a higher heel height. So my guess is that in ordering a Sidewinder pair from Bomber, mention that you are using an AT boot and include the heel height. Then again, maybe F1 boots have a shorter heel height.

I cannot comment on how these bindings ski, since I "ski" my splitboard on Dynafit toe pieces.

FYI: Heel height = boot sole to where the rear bail engages the welt of the boot.

I follow up with how these bindings ride in the backcountry / powder in a couples of weeks.