Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 pm 

Its time to buy new boots. This was my first year in the backcountry and I have had some dissapointments from my footwear. Leaking in anything thats soft in the day and staying wet all night. Now, should I cross over to a mountaineering boot? I wont give up strap bindings so I need something light, tall , semi-flexible( old school skateboarder) and something that stays DRY. Recommendations?

Post subject: Boots
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:44 pm 

Strap bindings exist because 15 year old boys drive the market, dump the straps and get a pair of Bomber's or a set of Voiles and some ice climbing boots (Koflachs) and a stiff after market liner, this is bone dry, gives excellent flex and allows you to eject in a second when its time to transition or you are getting buried in a slide. You can also kick steps into crud, use crampons and truly go places you can't in skateboard shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:54 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Post subject: Re: Boots
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:46 pm 

patroller420 wrote:
Leaking in anything thats soft in the day and staying wet all night.

I've had issues with softboots, but that's not one of them. I've never had leaks or gotten wet (other than from sweat) during the day. At night I put the liners in my sleeping bag at the bottom and that dries them out for the next day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:10 pm 

I've been thinking about doing the mountaineering boot/strap binding combo, as well.

This setup seems ideal....
http://www.splitboard.net/talk/viewtopi ... highlight=
…but I would need to add a heelstrap. Easy enough. It looks like a good way to eliminate half the binding.

I haven't searched all that much, but the problem I have encountered is that many mountaineering boots aren't tall enough for highbacks. Also, it is difficult to demo those things before actually trying them.

meatbot wrote:
Strap bindings exist because 15 year old boys drive the market

I have to disagree with that.

Strap bindings exist because they offer the most sensitivity, versatility, and control in a wide variety of conditions. In certain conditions, hard boots might be able to match the control of strap bindings, but they will never come close to matching the sensitivity and versatility.

They also exist because they are the only type of binding that allows us to ride in a style we have grown accustomed to. Riding hard boots/plates is simply a different style. After nearly 20 years of snowboarding, I do not have the desire or patience to learn a new form of descending. I like my snowboarding just the way it is.
Hardboots/plates have their place, but they are not for everyone. There is no way they would allow me to do the things I like to do. And that is not acceptable. I know I spent 95% of my time skinning/climbing, but my #1 reason for going into the backcountry is for the ride down.

So, patroller420, let me know if you find something that looks good. I'll be searching as well. I am hopeful that a mountaineering boot in a strap binding will allow for performance similar to a traditional soft boot setup. Don't know yet.
But don't give up hope! Don't abandon your strap-binding roots! Don't listen to these crazy new-school sellouts!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:57 pm 

bcd wrote:
I know I spent 95% of my time skinning/climbing, but my #1 reason for going into the backcountry is for the ride down.

I could not agree with this more. I even have a saying...it all comes down to the descent.

get the play on words too?...down..descent :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:33 am 

Gotta admit, I love the straps. Also soft boots are soooo comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:33 am 

patroller420 says
Quote:
.....something light, tall , semi-flexible( old school skateboarder) and something that stays DRY.

picky picky. we want it all don't we? :wink: i'm probably worse though. something that stays dry is going to be hard to find simply because your feet will perspire(sp?). well, ok then. what will dry overnight? how much do your feet perspire while you tour/snowboard? everyone is different, just as different boots will fit some people better than others.....whether or not they meet the light, tall, flexible, dry criterion.

some folks have mentioned the hardboot option. uhm, probably not flexible enough for ya if you have the old school sk8 style. a really stiff soft boot may be the ticket. however, if you're booting up chutes and participating in other mountaineering shananagans, then the soft boots may not perform to your expectations.

i'll have to strongly agree with bcd, and the reason for going into the backcountry. it's all about the ride down, but if you can't get there, then there is no ride down.

here are some liners that meet the light, tall, and semi-flexible criterion. not too sure about the dry part. i've never riden them.
http://www.bomberonline.com/store/acces ... _liner.cfm

personally, i have a little bit of the old school style too and like to think i can still do some of the tricks i used to. i've gone with a very stiff soft boot: Salomon Malamutes. the liners do not dry very quickly and sure as sh*t wouldn't dry out in the feet of my sleepingbag. they were really stiff at first, compared to what i was on before (2yr old Burton Rulers/sneakers/crap), but it took about 3 days of riding lifts to get used to them. after that, i was back to the same old style as i rode before. i don't think i could get used to the hardboot setup and still ride and get the feel i am looking for when i descend. another stiff soft boot is the Burton Driver which might be something to look at.

these are the only two boots i know of that will maintain thier support more than a year and still allow you to feel your ride......unlike a hardboot would. as mentioned here in regards to soft strap bindings........more versatility.

depending on your aggressiveness and how often you ride, some other boots may provide a softer more flexible option, but they may also lose thier "support" quicker than the two mentioned above. IMO

my 2cents.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:34 pm 

Well Meatbot, I did ask for an opion, but as far as straps, Im 43, but closer in thinking to the 15 year old boys . Ill give up my straps when you pry my cold dead fingers from them. Maybe then I will switch to plastic boots, speedo swimwear and wearing black socks and shoes with shorts. It is all about the decent .But as far as the wetness, it doesnt come from sweat, it comes from the nylon sterech area around the tounge. When I get into soft snow it drops down the cracks of the tounge eventually wetting the liner and then the feet. I spayed boots and liner with scotchguard and they stayed dry. unfortunately my 3 year old boots slowly fell apart on shasta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:42 pm 

What the hell , Im from Texas. Anybody ever ride in a pair of shitkicker boots? Cowpoke style ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:11 pm 

patroller420 wrote:
What the hell , Im from Texas. Anybody ever ride in a pair of shitkicker boots? Cowpoke style ?

I bet you could get fassnor to try those!

Quote:
But as far as the wetness, it doesnt come from sweat, it comes from the nylon sterech area around the tounge. When I get into soft snow it drops down the cracks of the tounge eventually wetting the liner and then the feet.

So on your boots this area is below the area that is covered by the inner gaiter on your pants (assuming you have gaiters built into the pants)? I haven't experienced this problem...

Quote:
the liners do not dry very quickly and sure as sh*t wouldn't dry out in the feet of my sleepingbag.

Have you actually tried it? I thought it was bullshit too, till I actually tried it. Oh, pull the insoles out too if you have them. I'm sure some liners just won't dry, but really it's amazing the way things will dry out in there. Can make for some interesting sleeping though when you're trying to cram 50 things in your mummy bag (I got a slightly wider cut bag which helps). A little foot powder in the liner and the socks in the morning can make a big difference too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:15 pm 

patroller420 wrote:
closer in thinking to the 15 year old boys

You smoke bowls like a 15 year old boy too 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:26 pm 

jimbo,
i have not slept with those liners in the feet of my sleeping bag in temperatures below freezing, as of yet. in my previous experiance with the Salomon Malamutes i have riden them as much as 3 or more days consecutively. the liners have been removed from the boots to "air out" overnight in comfortable room temperatures (60-70F degress, roughly). they never fully dried out.

assuming those boot driers that blow out a warmer temperature air to dry out boots, wouldn't the liners dry out faster in a higher temperature? say, a room temperature compared to the feet of a sleepingbag in below freezing temperatures. so if i stick my hand down in my boots in the morning after having them in the feet of my sleeping bag in below freezing temperatures, and after having toured in them during the previous day then i will not feel any moisture or wetness in the liner? that's just one of those things i won't believe until i see if for myself. sorry.

i'm not much into science and following molecule evaporation, but to me it seems as though boot liners, clothing, and anything else that may be "wet" would not dry out just by putting it in the feet of a bag. i would think that a better reason for putting them in such a spot overnight is just for pure inconvienience of being even more comfortable while sleeping on snow in cold windy weather, and in a tent. ....and for not having to put on cold boots to make your coffee in the morning. . either way, my liners will go in the feet of my bag cause coffee is priority. :wink: thanks for your feedback though. we learn something every day.

oh, there is also a neoprene or similar type fabric ontop of the liner which inserts into the Malamutes. the laces of the boot go over this neoprene so no snow sneaks into the boot and melts onto your foot to get it wet. pant gaiters take care of the upper part of the boot. i think that most boots do not have that problem unless they are maybe Burton Stumpy's or something. haha. remember those things? the Loafers may also have that problem. :lol: