Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good (stiff) boots w/ regular laces?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 am 

Haven't looked at snowboarding boots in years but need new ones this year. Currently I am in some old drivers that I have despised since the day I got them. Mainly because of their lacing system. Apparently since I have a low-volume foot I "overtighten" the boots according to the manufacturers. WTF is that BS? How about you make a boot that doesn't have some gimmicky lacing system that breaks if I look at it funny and takes weeks to get new laces and repair/replace.

So do any boot manufacturers make a good stiff boot w/laces anymore?

Post subject: Re: Good (stiff) boots w/ regular laces?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 am 

Malamutes should fit the bill, you don't have to use the tightener if you want prefer to opt for a knot.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:11 am 

Are the new Malmute liners removable?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:51 am 

mrash wrote:
Are the new Malmute liners removable?

Yes, removable and heat-moldable

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:00 pm 

Why do people seem to prefer the stiffest boots? Does it help prevent ankle roll?

I've been using by Burton Rulers for the past few years and last spring those icy traverses just about killed me. I think the boots have been so well broken in that there isn't a lot of lateral support. I remedied it by getting crampons so I wouldn't slide down the hill sideways.

Are there other benefits to stiff boots beside this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:31 pm 

i think its a little bit to do with the skinning ability of stiffer boots and also the riding style. Park rats like the loosest, softest, limpest boot they can find, and freeriders prefer the stiffer boots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm 

I like the look of the Rome Folsom boots aksltxlt mentioned in the Burton Driver thread. Appear to have the same (or similar) liner as my current Malamutes. CF.3 vs Custom Fit Pro - anyone know who makes these? Might have to go check these out one day, until then, may just convert my Malamutes to regular laces.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 am 

PhishermanPhil wrote:
Why do people seem to prefer the stiffest boots? Does it help prevent ankle roll?

I've been using by Burton Rulers for the past few years and last spring those icy traverses just about killed me. I think the boots have been so well broken in that there isn't a lot of lateral support. I remedied it by getting crampons so I wouldn't slide down the hill sideways.

Are there other benefits to stiff boots beside this?

I have always ridden stiff boots. I'm a bigger guy and I ride more aggressively in bumpy terrain so stiff boots hold up better. I still ride park and even jib in them, but that's because I can flex a stiffer boot like a smaller guy can flex a park boot. I'm also looking at using hardboots for splitting in the future. I've never had a problem with rolling ankles or anything, I just prefer lots of support.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I have always ridden stiff boots. I'm a bigger guy and I ride more aggressively in bumpy terrain so stiff boots hold up better. I still ride park and even jib in them, but that's because I can flex a stiffer boot like a smaller guy can flex a park boot. I'm also looking at using hardboots for splitting in the future. I've never had a problem with rolling ankles or anything, I just prefer lots of support.

May I inquire as to your height and weight? I'm 180ish and 6'3". I'm probably due to get boots in the next few years so maybe something stiffer would be good. The Burton Rulers I have now were chosen when I was a student and the choice was made solely on price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 am 

the 32 Prime might work, On the stiffer side (8/10), heat moldable line, standard laces. Two years on mine and they are holding up fine as a resort and split boot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:25 pm 

PhishermanPhil wrote:
shredgnar wrote:

May I inquire as to your height and weight? I'm 180ish and 6'3". I'm probably due to get boots in the next few years so maybe something stiffer would be good. The Burton Rulers I have now were chosen when I was a student and the choice was made solely on price.

6'2" 185

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:07 pm 

check out last year's vans andreas wiig boot. i just got mine today and they feel pretty damn good for my lower volume foot. probably not the stiffest boots out there, but plenty stiff for me (6' 0" 150 lbs.) and i prefer stiff boots. apparently they made the new andreas wiig boot a little softer, so you'll want to look at last year's model, which you can find for pretty cheap. picked mine up for $160.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:17 pm 

Tried on malamutes 20 minutes ago and Burton Imperials a week ago. Both are traditional laces. I think I like the fit of the imperials a little more. Plus the imperials have vibram soles. The salomons have contragrip (not sure what that is). I also tried on the ride insanos and those were the stiffest of the 3. Still unsure what to get. Probably doesn't matter too much at this point... What do you all think? Going to snowbird in 2 weeks and need to get settled.