Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakorams or Sparks?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:09 am 

Zerodog - I posted weights in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9282&p=67718#p67718

Total increase in weight over my lightened Fuse's (different highbacks and straps) was 35g. Since my Fuse's were 40g lighter than stock, the Karakoram setup is actually 5 grams lighter than Fuses. Blazes are supposedly about 180g lighter per binding, so a new Spark setup will be significantly lighter (around 6 oz per foot).

I think some weight could be lost out of the Karakoram setup in the straps and highbacks, I'll geek out and weigh a bunch of straps and highbacks when I get a chance.

Barrows - how much do your dynafit boots weigh? I realize dynafits offer some ergonomic advantage with their pivot placement and lateral stiffness and such, but I would think that most of the weight advantage would be negated by the hardboots unless you're using some $ rando race boots (I'm running the lightest soft boots I know of, 32 Ultralights). A dynafit setup is definitely on my list, but mostly for ski mountaineering situations where a lot of booting or step-in crampons would be necessary.

Various Chimera prototypes
TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18 am 

samh wrote:
Karakoram Split30

Weight: 920 g (single binder)

============================================

Spark R & D Blaze

Weight: 798 g (single binder)

I believe the weight of the Blaze is calculated WITHOUT the touring pins included. So, if you add the steel pins, they are roughly 100+ grams heavier (not sure with the aluminum pin). So to make this fair you need to either weigh the Split30 without the axle, or add the pin to the Blaze... Apples to apples...

All in all, for me as a user of both bindings, the increased riding AND touring performance of the Karakoram system outweighs any of these small weight variations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:30 am 

russman wrote:
I believe the weight of the Blaze is calculated WITHOUT the touring pins included. So, if you add the steel pins, they are roughly 100+ grams heavier (not sure with the aluminum pin). So to make this fair you need to either weigh the Split30 without the axle, or add the pin to the Blaze... Apples to apples...

I'd like to know where this statement is coming from? I saw nothing on announcements from Spark that state this, so a little hard to believe without some credible source.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am 

This was calculated on comparing the official weights of the Fuse binding to home digital scale numbers. Without the pin, the home scale came out to the same values. With the pin things got notably heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 am 

Hm, that's interesting. I'll try and weigh them when I get them, for your apples. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 am 

I agree with Russ, pretty sure that weight is without pins given the weight I got for my Fuses.

TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am 

russman wrote:
I believe the weight of the Blaze is calculated WITHOUT the touring pins included

Spark R & D Blaze binder in size medium tops the scales at 792 g WITH the touring pin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 am 

samh wrote:
Spark R & D Blaze binder in size medium tops the scales at 792 grams WITH the touring pin.

:rock: Sam the man, good stuff. Still wondering what weight differences the whole system compared to whole system is. Someone have both yet? Other then Russman who might have an off scale :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:19 am 

Wow, I'm impressed! That's way lighter than the Fuse.

TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:57 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Still wondering what weight differences the whole system compared to whole system is.

This conversation seems to have come down to weight vs. weight since no one had ridden either of the systems and can't comment on anything other than physical characteristics. Perhaps we should define a baseline by which to compare them?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:25 am 

Yup, and I highly doubt that fact will change for a while. If I see Karakarom in person this year I'll chime in more. Until then I'm running the Blaze. I don't really know when I turned into a weight weeny. Crap :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:06 pm 

I'll throw my hat in the weight weenie corner (old fat & lazy). Full system parts = full system parts. K clips gotta be heavier than chinese clips and the k mount bracket is probably more than light pucks but less than full length DIY pucks? any weight gain from AT boot is probably balanced by losing the highbacks & straps. Lighter AT boots match the weight of heavy soft boots, Lighter after market molded liners make a couple oz.s difference. Skipping extra T-nut in non critical holes would save a couple ounces which is probably equaled by the metal edges and sidewalls of a factory split. Thicker socks add a few grams. Dyafit toe pieces ad a few oz.s to every step. till someone weighs the hole shebang mounted to the same board we're all just fartin in the wind. :banghead:
I think it comes down to paying more money for better board connection, a few ounces per step & an extra $150 might be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:27 pm 

^^^ Don't forget ditching breakfast in the morning. A couple of huffs of O2 instead should keep the weight down. :thumpsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next