Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - How do you wear your beacon?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you wear your beacon?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm 

I have a Ortovox D3 and have been using the harness that came with it to strap it to my chest. But I'm thinking of stowing it in a pocket, tethered to my pants. I've been seeing a lot of new clothing coming out with added beacon pockets and was wondering the pros and cons of wearing a beacon this way.

The chest, for me, is prime real-estate for camera gear and GPS so it would be nice to stow the beacon in a safe place other than my chest.

Getting stoked for La Nina!

Post subject: Re: How do you wear your beacon?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:02 pm 

That sounds sketchy T :wink: I'd rather have it attached to my body then any clothing. Although chances of my pants falling off is rare, if something happens, my chest should be attached to me, if not, I have bigger problems. I know in my avy classes the guys stressed not to put it in clothing for the risk of it becoming detached, and I'll stick with that. Also it is very accessable if I need to take out my beacon to search, and it is still attached to the harness. In a pocket it could be harder to access, or zipper problems, etc. I would be weary of attaching to clothing. :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:41 pm 

(BCA Tracker) zipped in pants pocket, mostly because the harness is terrible.
Conversely to Summersgone's experience my avy instructors whom guide and trek globally, turned me onto the idea. So I guess it depends who you ask....

Regardless, I'm completely comfortable with it. More so than the damn harness.
YMMV :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:08 pm 

I wish there were more options for the BCA Tracker harness, which the straps were a bit more beefier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:20 am 

Snurfer wrote:
my avy instructors whom guide and trek globally, turned me onto the idea. So I guess it depends who you ask....

hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll look into it, just put it out of my mind from the beginning. I do agree its bulky on the body. We'll see. About ready to do a full gear inventory / check here soon enough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:58 am 

My tall tee don't have a dedicated beacon pocket and with my pants down around my knees I don't think they'll stick with my in an avy so the harness it is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 pm 

why do wannabe gangstas even bother wearing pants? Just askn' :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 am 

My Pieps DPS came with a lanyard. I keep it in the front pocket of my pants. The pocket has a ring in it for keys. I attach the lanyard to that. I just make sure that that pocket is Beacon only. So much more convenient for pulling out and doing quick beacon checks on partners and also easy access if the shit ever goes down. Frees up my chest for GPS and Camera. Plus, I'm often climbing with only a base layer shirt on and the beacon would be exposed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:17 pm 

I wear my Mammut Barryvox Pulse in it's holster over my baselayer and under all other layers. It rides comfortably there and there's functionality of this transceiver that will work with other Barryvox Pulse peeps that requires the harness.

You can kind of see it in this photo. I'm mostly posting it though because it's late October and I'm starting to jones for deep snow as seen in the photo.