Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Bomber Splitboard Binding
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 am 

Just got an email from Fin and he said that Bomber will be releasing the Sidewinder as a splitboard binding for the coming season. For those of us using AT boots that want more lateral flex, this could be great option.

Here is a blurb from Bomber about the Sidewinder:

"The SideWinder uses a two piece sole block assembly with a precision pivot and bearing that allows it to “roll” side to side. The motion is controlled with the use of Urethane pads we call “E-Pads” that are inserted in between the upper and lower Sole Blocks. You can control the amount of movement in the SideWinder by using different density E-Pads. Not only does the system give you side to side motion, but the E-Pads also dampens that motion. The key is this: the SideWinder binding give us control over where we want the motion. In this case it is only side to side but your toe to heel motion is still locked down for that edge power you need."

Post subject: Re: New Bomber Splitboard Binding
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am 

I surprised Fin didn't make an integrated base with that. Maybe he needs to get permission from Voile still? He does make some beautiful stuff. If I was a hard booter, I'd be all over it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:36 am 

Nice progression Bomber! :headbang:
Still pretty high off the board... But maybe the next generation could be a plate with integrated bails????

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 pm 

That is siiiiiic. I love technology. I can see how it might be a little difficult to integrate a base without compromising the puck slot or adding additional weight, but it isn't impossible. Awesome work with the variable "E-pads". Perfect solution for riders of different sizes. Can't wait to read the reviews on this product.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:22 am 

the slider orginal Voile is for the most DIY hbb to short - what is the max shoe sizze it will work ???

Burton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:21 pm 

burton wrote:
the slider orginal Voile is for the most DIY hbb to short - what is the max shoe sizze it will work ???

Burton

No idea. As I am sure you know, Fin (Bomber) has been making alpine and splitboard hardboot bindings for a while now. I would assume he has a big range of boots sizes covered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:48 pm 

rughty wrote:
That is siiiiiic. I love technology. I can see how it might be a little difficult to integrate a base without compromising the puck slot or adding additional weight, but it isn't impossible. Awesome work with the variable "E-pads". Perfect solution for riders of different sizes. Can't wait to read the reviews on this product.

I also think it will be very difficult to integrate the bails with the plate. I think it would take a puck redesign specifically for hardboots since the toe and heel ledges are so much more narrow than the width of the plates which work on the Voile pucks. An integrated plate works much better with softboots which are much wider (at least using the Voile pucks).

The reality is that these Sidewinders and any splitboard binding for hardboots mounted on the Voile plate are about as low (or lower) as a typical alpine hardboot binding on a carving board. The toe and heel blocks are mounted directly to the Voile plate instead of being mounted to the alpine binding base plate. Bolting a complete softboot binding to the Voile slider plate is much higher than a softboot binding mounted to a solid board. Some real strides have been made recently for softboots.

I am hoping for a much better slider plate from someone for hardboot split bindings.

Here is the alpine version of the Sidewinder. You can see that it is quite a bit taller than the split version on the Voile plate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 pm 

Sweet!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:53 pm 

Glad to see Fin took the time to come up with this version for splitters. To incorporate the pivot the binding really could not be any lower, it needs the height to be able to move. This will be a great solution for hard boot riders who need more lateral/medial flex.
Personally, I have modded my boots so much now that I have plenty of flex out of the boot itself, so no need to weigh myself down with this.
As for bindings, I would like to see Will come up with an integrated solution: a machined plate, like the Fuse, where the hard boot rests directly on the plate, and the bails have multiple positions (for sizing) along the side of the plate. This would be superlight, even lighter than direct mount toe and heel pieces, and as low to the board as is possible with the current Voile puck design.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:14 am 

I am trying to get Will to create a Spark Slider plate for the Sidewinders (or likely any other HB binding). Here is the latest from him.

"It’ll probably be November before I’ll have time to whip something up, but I think it could be pretty fun. "

Sounds like it might happen!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am 

Wow! great news on the slider plate... :thumpsup:
Still no mention of the sidewinder on the Bomber site? :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:49 pm 

Bump... Sidewinder?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:51 pm 

The Sidewinder is listed in Backcountry Mag's buyer's guide. $299. Wasn't tested. Expected to be available fall of '10. I'm hoping to score a pair.

Does anyone else have any additional info to share?