Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why only Voile Skins?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm 

I wish G3 or BD or someone else made an alternative climbing skin for the split. I read about a DIY mod on here, but it looked like something I would screw up. I think my board is too long (Prior Backcountry, 165 I think) and the skins don't extend all the way to the back of the ski.

Also, I am not convinced that Voile makes them with the wet Cascade crud we are used to around the PNW.

Post subject: Re: Why only Voile Skins?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm 

prior, don't worry about the skins. they're plenty long enough for your board. you don't want them as long as your board anyways - you want the end of the skin to be right in front of the point where your tails start to turn up. if the skins are longer, the end will start to flop around, loosening the entire skin on the way up, making them nonfunctional. as far as working with cascade glop, there's plenty of folks on here who will probably be able to attest to the fact that they will work, no worries. they work fine for all sorts of east coast mank (we get anything from cement to fluff).

someone else can verify this or debunk it - but i do believe that the voile skins are more or less rebranded bd ascension skins? same plush color, and isn't that the bd logo on the strip in the middle of the skin?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 am 

surfsnowywaves wrote:
someone else can verify this or debunk it - but i do believe that the voile skins are more or less rebranded bd ascension skins? same plush color, and isn't that the bd logo on the strip in the middle of the skin?

Correct: Voile skins = BD

BTW Prior, with BD and Voile residing along the Wasatch (intermountain snowpack), you may be correct about the PNW snowpack having less bearing on their designs, BUT grab some Glop Stopper wax from BD and you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 pm 

I've also heard of people spraying their skins with Armorall to keep the glop off. Has anyone else heard of this? I'd be conserned how the Armorall would react with the skin glue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 pm 

I had to read this thread twice before I posted because, yes BD definitely makes splitty skins!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:33 pm 

Thanks for the replies, that is interesting that it is BD who make the skins. Does anyone else make a skin for a custom width ski? I would buy another set to try em out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:31 am 

With BD's new style tip loop, I would be far more willing to buy some of their skins for my split now. Before that, no one else made a tip attachment system that I thought could handle the angled tips of the split as well as Voile's riveted clips. hmmm... maybe I should buy myself some of BD's mohair skins for epic split mountaineering trips... :drool:

prior_rider, pretty much every skin maker sells many widths of skins... but I think the tip attachment is the importnat thing (re: above).

Thanks,
Shep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 am 

Shep wrote:
With BD's new style tip loop, I would be far more willing to buy some of their skins for my split now. Before that, no one else made a tip attachment system that I thought could handle the angled tips of the split as well as Voile's riveted clips. hmmm...

Ive been using BD STS Skins on my split for 4 seasons now. Never a single worry about their tip loop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:16 pm 

Just bumping my own thread from earlier this year.

I emailed climbingskinsdirect.com and they indicated that they do skins for splits. If this is the case, they should be able to make a custom set that have tail clips which would enable a full ski coverage. Has anyone ordered split-specific skins from this company? How was your experience?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:59 pm 

^^^^

A couple of threads to look over, over at the TGR forums, if you're considering Climbingskinsdirect. I have no experience with them, but many of the folks over there do, so it's a worthwhile resource

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthre ... kinsdirect

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthre ... kinsdirect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:04 pm 

Thanks. That is a good thread, although it doesn't appear that any of the posters are splitboarders.

One of the questions I am interested in having answered is whether anyone has had these made specifically for a splitboard, and if they have had these made in a full length with a clip at both the front AND the end much like our backcountry ski friends have. If you had a good tail clip, you could extend the skin for the length of the board, instead of only to the point at the board where the tip begins to turn upwards.

Anyone else out there with a split try out other skins than Voile?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:44 am 

I have used the CSD (Climbing Skins Direct) skins for all of last year. I have been pleased with them. The people were cool, the skins were great, and they are cheaper than all others. I got the 140cm and they have a splitboard attachment setup (just let them know it is for a splitty). They run the full length and have a rubbery / stretchy tail connector. You will have to put a little more time cutting and trimming them, and they go through the clip bars and adhere glue-to-glue. My only wish is that they were lighter, but I think they are still lighter than the Voile.

I was not sold on the Voile skins, and the cost is way too much (not to mention no tail clip).

I have to give them the big :thumpsup:

Pedro

Sorry I don't have a camera to post pics....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 pm 

I have BD STS Split skins and they ae pretty nice. I rigged up a piece of shock cord on the rear belt for a tail clip. No probs.