Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jones Hovercraft Review!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:14 am 

Great review Jason! How do you think the Hovercraft would feel in a longer size?

I'm REEEEALLY wanting to demo the Mountain Twin... I think it's possible that that could be my ideal inbounds ride. Although I'm still undecided if I really like rocketed tails on snowboards.. I feel like sometimes I loop out when I'm really wanting to power off the back seat..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 am 

Thanks Russman. Like you I don't have anything to gain from Jones but I have known Chad for a long time and was very happy when he let me take the Hovercraft for a couple of days and was very happy that I got to take time off of work to play a bit.

I don't think any extra length would benefit me on the Hovercraft and I actually think it would be worse for my riding style. It floated great as is. I look at it as a dedicated pow board and as such it did what I wanted it to. The only thing that I would like to see is just a little bit of traditional camber from the back binding through the tail.

I have a new Lib Phoenix C2 at home waiting for this winter that I'm really looking forward to riding. I took a few runs on a Dark series C2 the winter before last and really liked it except that it was too narrow for me.

I hope I run into on the mountain this winter, we'll take a run.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:56 am 

Did you notice anything about the flex? Softer or stiffer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:12 am 

Compared to my current Lando the Hovercraft was much softer but my Lando might have been an especially stiff one to begin with. I would say that it had the right flex for it's purpose even when ridden very aggressively in pow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 am 

I'm glad folks are stoked on this board, while not an original design it is a very sweet looking board. And if it works for you, that is all that really matters.
But, I've felt all along that some of the stoke about the board is misleading, and not having ridden the board myself I reserved comment at least until seeing the Hovercraft segment in Deeper. So, although I still haven't ridden this board I'm compelled to chime in based on what I saw in the film. (Please don't get defensive about it, I'm simply giving another point of view.)

JJ's body position looks like someone riding a short board in powder, not floating like a bigger board as many have claimed. His stance is low, flexed and very much on his back leg. Maybe thats intentional, but seems like a helluva lot of work if the board really performs as claimed.
Anyways, perhaps I'll get to ride with someone who has the board this season to get a look at their riding, but based on the film, I'm not convinced of the rides longer, floats longer claim.
:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:42 am 

Actually, Snurfer, I found that the Hovercraft rode extremely short, but floated basically as well as any big board I've ridden.

I found that it was remarkably stable at speed but could still slash the ultra tight spots. Basically, the Hovercraft lends itself to its own unique style of riding... Its doesn't turn like a 195 swallowtail and I don't think that is the claim, either. Its not going to perform as well at a Mach-12 pointer run (it will loop out much faster) but its FAR more fun to shred in the tightest tree runs. I felt like it showed me a style of snowboarding I didn't know existed before! :)

I'm realizing more and more the value of having a board quiver, rather than putting all my expectations in one board.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:33 pm 

Fair enough Russman, it definitely helps having the perspective that you have ridden the 195 in tight trees, etc. I wasn't referencing the 195 specifically as much as longboards that incorporate design elements specific to float and body position (among others: rockered nose, stiff tapered tail, and setback. For example the TB Pro).
In any event, knowing you are making a comparison having ridden both boards in the conditions you described, def lends credibility and helps me appreciate the stoke.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 am 

Russman, what were your impressions on flex? Stiffer or softer?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:07 pm 

Snurfer- With as short as the tail is and as wide as the nose is on the Hovercraft you really don't need to sit on the back leg to stay on top. I'll readily admit that the longest board I've ridden is around a 180 and I have no interest in anything that long for most of the stuff that I ride. It's mostly tight chutes and trees, if it's open fields then it's steep and fast enough not to need the extra length.

For me the ability to sink the tail in to control speed is one of the things that makes the Fish style of boards appealing. I can ride it center weighted but if things get a bit hairy I can stand on my back leg and sink the tail in to slow things down a little.

For further reference the days I got to ride the Hovercraft were in the same storm cycle that these photos were shot:
http://www.frqncy.com/news/2010/04/09/jason-speer-photo-gallery-mount-baker-2010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:51 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
Snurfer- With as short as the tail is and as wide as the nose is on the Hovercraft you really don't need to sit on the back leg to stay on top. I'll readily admit that the longest board I've ridden is around a 180 and I have no interest in anything that long for most of the stuff that I ride. It's mostly tight chutes and trees, if it's open fields then it's steep and fast enough not to need the extra length.

For me the ability to sink the tail in to control speed is one of the things that makes the Fish style of boards appealing. I can ride it center weighted but if things get a bit hairy I can stand on my back leg and sink the tail in to slow things down a little.
Indeed, I ride these boards (among other reasons) because as you say, you can speed check without actually having to turn.
Longboards def aren't for everyone, I'm well over 200lbs with gear and our snow can be so light as to be displaced like water, so small board + big rider = your wallowing. But that's just the pow aspect...
Anyways, as I said, my observation was based solely on the Deeper segment, where it appeared JJ's back leg was doing a lot of work. I guess it stands to reason has was simply speed checking through the pillow lines, it just didn't look he was really flowing compared the beautiful flow he usually has.
Great post! Thx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:12 am 

yeah i'm still a full grown park rat some times so i have a hard time bringing myself to ride anything over a 162, that is why i'm pretty stoked on this design, i'll probably get one at World Boards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:42 pm 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
Russman, what were your impressions on flex? Stiffer or softer?

Didn't see this till today.

Definitely stiffer overall. However, the nose is pretty darn soft, and the tail is pretty darn stiff. I'd say for me, at a 185lbs with a park-ish style of riding, its flex is right there on the line of being nice and bendable, but still stiff enough to get great power transfer and pop.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 pm 

I've only ridden this board a little bit recently...but I gotta say it seriously rips and is seriously fun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next