Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:43 pm 

dj barney wrote:
Splitters- if anyone is having any issues with Voile products, contact us for warranty replacements asap!

CJ, everyone I know would be skinning with their climbing bars up on a slope that steep. If the bars are up, the tab at the back of the slider track never comes in contact with anything. Your issue is probably metal fatigue, and is happening from use with the bars down. Contact us, and we'll hook you up!

The black slider tracks are ancient, the silver ones haven't been manufactured since 02', and the blue/gray are the current vintage. They are made entirely in SLC, including the heat treating and anodizing processes. I have personally handled all warranty issues since starting here 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have seen maybe 3 total pairs of tracks come in for replacements. I would not call this a "design flaw", but rather bomber durability.

If the tracks were machined from solid billet, the end cost would dramatically increase for the consumer. Not a good idea when price already keeps some out of the bc. Additionally, the added strength of the track would move the failure to another location- the climbing block, or the board!

Again, contact Voile with any failures, and we will get you dialed!

Hey DJ I can't speak for the others but I appreciate your offer. I don't think anyone here is trying to diss Voile on this thread. In fact I am very happy with the product and super impressed with the durability. Now if you can warranty my board for the absolute thrashing I have put it through....

I know I called it the weak point of the system. Right where the stopper tab is on the slider plate is where I experienced the cracking. Again this is after 3 solid seasons of abuse. I am probably over 200 days on this board. All that banging around, dropping cliffs, having to slide the plates on rather forcefully at times, does have an impact. I am sure this had a lot to do with it. It's just an area that I think you can expect this issue to constantly appear, therefore a spot for your design guys to look at for improvements in the future. Again, it is a major stress point and it took 3 seasons of abuse for this to happen.

If you are interested in seeing the slider plates I still have them and would be happy to send them in. Shoot me a pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:19 pm 

Hi DJ, thanks for the response. I think it is great that suppliers take an interest in the forums.
I am not sure that I would change the tracks I would look more at the climbing block. In the current design the tab is definitely the weak spot but making it beefier is probably not the answer. If it ain't broke don't fix it but it is broke so a fix may be in order. In general though I do not have any issues with the Voile system and will definitely use it on my next board. Speaking of which the Mtn Gun looks rather interesting.
I will contact you about the tracks.
As a side note - normally on slopes like the one I was on my bars are up but what happens is that half way across, with a big cornice hanging over my head, is the bar pops down. For obvious reasons I do not stop to raise it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:44 am 

Kudos to Voile on their excellent warranty service.
It went beyond what was expected.

Thanks.