Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best boots for blister prevention
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm 

I'm new to splitboarding and last year I used my regular burton boots that I ride with in bounds and I got pretty nasty blisters. I'm definitely prone to blisters, but I wondered what the best way to prevent blisters while splitboarding. Hardboots? special liners? It's tough because there is not much room in the ankle so it feels like I'm wearing a cast - maybe it would be better if my boots had the flex toe like tele boots... Anyway, any advice on best boots would be appreciated! (Also, specific boot reviews might not help much unless they're okay for female feet!)

Post subject: Re: best boots for blister prevention
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:14 pm 

Properly fitted socks, liners and boots + a binder with minimal hot spots. If it is really bad you might want to try body glide (etc) on your feet. Honestly, I would pose the question on a running forum. You will likely get way more info than you are likely to get here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:22 pm 

Mole skin/foam that adheres to your foot and provides a layer of protection from the sweat and friction can be a life saver mostly BEFORE your hotspots become a blister.

But this sounds like a more "long term" problem that, as Snufer suggested, should be sorted out in the fit of your boots.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:49 pm 

The best boot for blister prevention is the one that fits you right.

What you need to do is go in to a shop and spend some time with a boot fitter. Try on different brands, sizes, etc. Don't order some boots off of the internet or go off of the strength of some random person's review. Your boots are your MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF GEAR. Do not skimp on them. However, if a cheap boot is the one that fits your foot the best, go with it. Everyone's feet are different, so you really just have to go and try on a ton of boots. Another thing to check out is custom insoles. Expensive, but soooo worth it. Stock boot insoles are shit. No support at all. Custom insoles have a lot more support and should be made to fit your foot. Plus, you can probably move them from one set of boots to the other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:23 pm 

aliasptr wrote:
Mole skin/foam that adheres to your foot and provides a layer of protection from the sweat and friction can be a life saver mostly BEFORE your hotspots become a blister.

ehcarley wrote:
Your boots are your MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF GEAR. Do not skimp on them. However, if a cheap boot is the one that fits your foot the best, go with it.

Solid advice :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:58 pm 

I personally think moleskin sucks. For the several pairs of boots that I may have issues with I always pre-tape the areas with duct tape or 3M Nexcare Absolute waterproof tape. Both have better adherance vs. moleskin in my experience. Plus it is always easier to be preventative than have to manage a hot spot once its formed.

On a side note I do have some summer alpine boots that tend to form hot spots the first 1-2 trips of the season. But once the skin has hardened up a bit they don't give me any problems the rest of the season.

Obviously YMMV, and as mentioned a boot/sock combo that fits YOUR foot is the best course of action.

:drinks:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
I personally think moleskin sucks. For the several pairs of boots that I may have issues with I always pre-tape the areas with duct tape or 3M Nexcare Absolute waterproof tape. Both have better adherance vs. moleskin in my experience. Plus it is always easier to be preventative than have to manage a hot spot once its formed.

This for sure. I find moleskin always has to be reenforced with something like hockey tape or it just works its way off the hotspot. Plus duct tape can be used to make flashy repairs to gear and such when out and about.

ehcarley wrote:
The best boot for blister prevention is the one that fits you right.

And definitely this. Don't skimp on the boot by any means in regards to fit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:27 pm 

Thanks, all! I should have said that I often go with this routine: alcohol clean the area, moleskin and/or glacier gel, duct tape. I've tried just about every sock/liner combo out there and read up on blister prevention forums. After some introspective thinking, I think I either need expensive custom inserts or I just have oddly shaped feet. There's a great guy in my town (Jim Mates), but I think it's like $300+... might be worth saving up a bit if it means I can ride without the blister pain... Either way, thanks for the help everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:18 pm 

Moleskin always came off. Waterproof tape sucked as well. Then I tried duct tape directly on the hot spot. It never failed even on 7,000 foot days :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:33 pm 

My feet must be really gross since even duct tape doesn't stick for more than a couple of miles. Does anyone have more luck avoiding blisters with softboots versus something more alpine-like? I'm guessing it's similar across the board, but if people tend to have better luck with hardboots, I would consider those. (P.S. I just emailed the custom insert guy for an evaluation.... we'll see....)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 pm 

I'm Buell's girlfriend, Rebecca - too lazy to register right now.

Me too! I have had horrible blisters in a number of boots. I have tried every remedy out there, including new softboots, hardboots, various sock combinations, super duper bootfitting (and re-bootfitting, and re-re-bootfitting, etc.), two different custom orthotics and almost every single proposed solution in this really great thread on wildsnow. I even tried toughing it out in the hopes that my feet would "toughen up" and spent a few days not walking very well. I have dumped hours of time and lots of money into dealing with really bad blisters on my heels, arches and sometimes toes.

Well chosen boots and custom bootfitting is are important for those of us with weird feet, but they weren't the final solution for me.

Moleskin & Co. stay on my feet for about ten minutes before I sweat them off. I've tried various kinds of tape, pre-applicants, etc, but nothing sticks. Then they get bunched up in my sock and make a new blister - yay! (Sound familiar?)

After trying, probably.... eight or ten?... different pairs of socks + the ol' double sock, I tried one last time with a Coolmax Injinji sock that was recommended for a liner backpacking sock. They look bizarre, but I've now had a few blissfully blister free climbing days in them. It sounds like your feet may be on the swampier side, like mine. These socks really do wick moisture - better than any other synthetic/wool/bamboo/combo I've tried. "Normal" Coolmax socks might work, too, but the toe gloves seem to help the fit in my case.

The socks are definitely worth a shot, but the bigger point is, keep trying. Start with bootfitting & new boots, if necessary. There is a solution out there for everyone.

Boot-wise, I ended up in hardboots because of the improved ascent with Dynafits. They were no better for me, blister wise (no worse, either). If you get a lot of b/c days, esp. in non-powder conditions, they are worth learning about. If you're mostly powder riding and only for, say, 10 or 15 days a year, they're probably not worth the investment of money or time (to modify the boots and feel comfortable riding in them).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm 

Wow - Rebecca, thank you SO much! Its nice to know that I'm not the only one with swampy feet - I never really thought of myself as having gross, sweaty feet, but maybe it was just denial. It is very encouraging that you finally found something (hopefully not jinxing!)! I just ordered a pair of the socks you referenced - you never know! - and I found some blister prevention powder online and I'll probably give that a shot too. I haven't figured out yet how much time I'll actually make it into the BC and under what conditions, but I will keep hardboots on my radar.

I've tried a TON of combinations of socks and assorted "blister prevention" items from the drug store with no luck - or like you said, Rebecca, with worse situations from the blister prevention items worsening blisters or making new ones. I hope I wont have to resort to toughing it out (that's really not a pleasant thought) so I think I'll just go all out trying a few different combinations and hopefully it'll also help with my (identical) problem with hiking boots.

Thanks again for the advice, and the encouragement to keep looking for the right solution. I still don't like the idea of having swampy feet, but hopefully I'll find something strong enough to counteract it!

Thanks again, Rebecca, and everyone who offered some help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 am 

This is the best way to prevent blisters!!!!

I was a boot fitter and that was my specialty... My best advice is go to a local specialty store ( NO BOX STORES! ) that carries all the major brands and get their best boot fitter to run you through all their boots... Nobody can make the perfect boot that fits everyone... And even then your perfect boot may still take some personalized tweaking by a good boot fitter to be completely tits... When you go into a store tell the person that your feet "pronate".... Don't worry what it means or even if you feet do "pronate" if the boot fitter knows what "pronate" is you've probably found your guy.... If they say "Huh?" or scratch their head move on to someone who knows what that term is and how to fix it....

NOBODY can make a perfect fitting boot!!! BUT a good boot fitter worth his/her salt can make a boot fit perfect, which will solve your issues... Honestly you may have to go to a ski shop to find the right person because unfortunately boot fitting is kind of a lost/never was trade in the snowboard world and ski boots are just more fucked from the get go so skiers tend to have more problems and more experience fixing those issues....

OR if your in SLC come by my house and I can fix you right up :wink: I have a complete boot fitting set-up and supplies at my house...