Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Review-- The Burton FreeBird: Setting the Info Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:22 pm 

Holy shit, Kyle Miller has a girlfriend and a kitchen! Damn impressive lifestyle you lead there, Kyle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 am 

Thanks for the review. :thumpsup:
162 s series for sale,pickup from melbourne,australia. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:59 am 

best promotion for a unnow board :thumpsup:

Burton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:58 am 

Nice review but how is Superfly II core revolutionary in lightness? The core has been around since the early-mid 90's. Heck the original dragonfly core has been around since '97 in the FL project. It is a very durable core however and doesn't seem to need a lot of overlays/stringers to maintain torsional stiffness. I'd wholeheartedly agree that Burton bases for some reason seem to be more durable overall than other manufacturers. But nothing on those specs is remotely new other than the S-rocker flex pattern (which does work great in the many conditions).

My personal opinion of Burton is that in terms of boots/bindings they are still one of the industry leaders in providing what works to a wide swath of abilities, snow conditions, etc. ect. - but when it comes to boards, I believe they concentrate on certain segments too much. Sure there have been some "experiments" that have had variable success (i.e. T6/Vapor), but the overall durability of those boards left a lot to be desired - which is why I think you're seeing a "conservative" approach to the split. With the competition bringing new designs to market that are closing or have long closed any perceived performance gap, I would have thought Burton would have brought a more reinforced Dragonfly core (ala Custom X, Dragon, FL) with a similiar shape to what's being presented in the Freebird if they were trying to "make amends". I may be new to the world of splits, but I've ridden a long time and feel I can cut through the marketing BS that most co.'s rely on when seeking a new board for the quiver.

Don't get me wrong, I've been multi-decade Burton owner, the company certainly pioneered a great deal of design improvements over that time. However it seems to me that as the available market saturated in the late 90's, the shift in focus turned to market expansion and making boards easier and easier and softer and softer to ride, making snowboarding in general more appealing to the masses and the never-ever snowsport participants. This left a lot of the more advanced riders without viable decks that suited their riding style. The last freeride board I owned from Burton was an 02-03 Dragon, which was the board that decided for me that the tide had changed in Burton's board design - taking the 00-02 Dragons (quite possibly my favorite board of all time) and softening the flex so much it broke/delammed in no time.

I still currently ride Burtons for powder and in the backcountry though - and regardless, it will be good to see the final specs for this board - 7mm taper is certainly interesting to me as a Malolo rider currently. 20mm just feels like too much taper for multi-variable conditions. The orginal Fish was even more and really felt like it only worked well in powder. The Malolo is a "close but no cigar" compromise, but until this year was my powder/BC board.

As a future split owner, only ridden some DIY's and the Voile, there are certainly a lot of choices to evaluate on the market. I feel like I'm giddy falling in love with the sport all over again after (gasp I'm gettin old) 23 years of riding. Just my rambling 2c and can't wait for the snows to start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm 

tiltedworld wrote:
I'd wholeheartedly agree that Burton bases for some reason seem to be more durable overall than other manufacturers.

After reading this I had to comment. I completely dissagree with this. I destroyed every burton base I ever had. Comparing their bases to Never Summer they do not even come close. Never Summer is a super durable base that takes a beating, burton is like snowboarding on aluminium foil. The review makes it sound much more durable which is nice to hear. The base i my main beef with Burton boards. Growing up in VT I had a soft spot for them, but I won't buy a burton for a while. But I do love their boots and can't wait to get on their Driver X this winter. Review sounds nice and all, but I'm staying away from Burton boards for the locally made idea of Venture. Great review though, can't wait to hear more from it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29 pm 

summersgone wrote:
tiltedworld wrote:
I'd wholeheartedly agree that Burton bases for some reason seem to be more durable overall than other manufacturers.

After reading this I had to comment. I completely dissagree with this. I destroyed every burton base I ever had. Comparing their bases to Never Summer they do not even come close. Never Summer is a super durable base that takes a beating, burton is like snowboarding on aluminium foil. The review makes it sound much more durable which is nice to hear. The base i my main beef with Burton boards. Growing up in VT I had a soft spot for them, but I won't buy a burton for a while. But I do love their boots and can't wait to get on their Driver X this winter. Review sounds nice and all, but I'm staying away from Burton boards for the locally made idea of Venture. Great review though, can't wait to hear more from it.

Weird b/c I've had the opposite experiences with Never Summers - the bases got all torn up yet the sidewalls were bomber. Maybe its a style difference, who knows. The Option that I'm on now is seems to be a cross between the two bases and that's ok by me.

I'm ok with Burton boards for powder mostly, but anything needing stiffness, edge hold and overall strength and durability I tend to shy away from them. I will check it out for the split though because I am starting from scratch with choosing a setup, but I'm still leaning towards the Solution. I'll be able to decide a lot better when I see/touch/feel the boards in person.

I'm also an East Coast transplant and my brother still lives in VT (Jericho) so I understand the soft spot 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:07 pm 

Hummmmmm........................................this makes things a bit complicated. Was giving up on Burton this season. Most of my splits have been Burtons but this next season i was sure i would be riding a differnt board.

Quote:
insanely stoked that Craig Kelly's legacy continues inside Burton.

Not sure Russman, but didnt Dave Downing send Burton into the BC when Craig kelly was still riding inside at Baker?

http://www.snowboarding.com/articles_04 ... wning.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:58 pm 

I owned a CustomX once and blew out an edge, sidewall, and base material on the first day of riding. In fact, the board only got ridden for 30 minutes before it was totaled. I called up Burton pleaing for help, and they told me to go f*** myself. In comparison, I had a Nitro Suprateam once that had 3 years on it, and when the board cracked from doing butters, they sent me a new one no questions asked.

Not sayin, just sayin.

$800 is a bunch of energy..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:25 am 

Kyle, can you tell us the difference between old s-series flex and the freebird's one? (how much stiffer / softer?)
On alps' snow the first problem of the s-series was the flex too soft.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:50 am 

Is the board sold pre-drilled? Doesnt look like it in the pics but that would be pretty lame...