Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: an alternative to the dynafit toepiece?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:20 pm 

so im stuck at home on a saturday , looking for deals on boots. I originally was thinking about maximizing my touring by switching to a scarpa spirit three or f1 boot with the dynafit toepiece for the up, and some voile plates for the down. this has all been done before by people on here who nail all kinds of lines. but overall it looks too pricey for me. I have seen secondhand scarpas for as low as 200$ or 250 right now on swap sites, but for dynafit tlt speeds, it looks like id have to buy new for 350$. then some plates for 55$, plus shipping, so about 700bucks if im lucky. i think the big question on this setup is can i buy just the dynafit toepieces somewhere?

after i checked that out i saw these on the MEC website: the salomon x-adventure 8's

now ive never seen them in person and i dont know anything about cross country equipment, but the review said the boots are stiff enough to make tele or parralel turns, and the bindings supposedly take a real beating. i was thinking that maybe the boots would work in my strap bindings for downhill, and provide the same (or more ) weight savings on the uptrack, with my slider plates strapped to my pack. total for this pair with the boot sale price is 230$ plus shipping.

some negatives : there would have to be some modding for the heel riser. possibly i could bend that rod in the toe of the boot while hiking on rocks?

now i have to find a store that has a pair, so i can see firsthand if they would work as a soft snowboard boot.

well, what do you think? has anyone seen them or tried them on?

Post subject: Re: an alternative to the dynafit toepiece?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 pm 

i forgot something. i was also thinking that this might be a good noboard setup.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:07 pm 

Spark R N D sells Dynafit toe pieces separately. Salewa USA has also let me know that Dynafit dealers can order the speed toe pieces separately for you.
I think Spark sells them for ~$160.00, check their site.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:42 pm 

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=65105

the above link from ttips has lot of info on the boot. i've thought about trying it too but, since the cuff is hinged there would be very little forward resistance or power. maybe with flows or some old elfgen tongued bindings.

very tempting for a no-split tho.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 am 

well i ended up buying some scarpa spirit 3's off craigslist, so these will have to wait, but im still going to have a look at them some day. its funny that the BTS thread popped up, because i was thinking about a strap binding version of it for these boots. A pin in the heelcup , and a pin thru the highback, with the mechanism replacing the forward lean block. then use a shin strap to provide the forward lean resistance.

spencer, did u ever post picks of your modified pmb's? i was curious too see them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:13 pm 

That could definitely be an option for a no split setup! The traction on the boots looks awesome. Any ideas on if the binding could be easily rigged to work with the voile hole pattern for the touring bracket? I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 pm 

i hadnt thought about that, but hopefully an adapter plate could be made. i havent found anyone in vernon or kelowna that stocks them, so i havent had them in my hand yet. for me, i may have to wait till i get to MEC in vancouver to check them out.