Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am
Posts: 1524
Location: Colorado
jbaysurfer wrote:
Quote:
As for Karakoram, well, this is still a backwards solution to me-the best way to save weight and get better riding and climbing performance is a well dialed hard boot system, especially for snowboard mountaineering, but, to each his own


Really? It hasn't drifted enough, but hey lets have the hard vs. softboot debate? OK then, here's my :twocents:

Better riding performance...tell that to Tom Burt who's ripping with his hardbooting buddy Jim Zellers huge Back country lines. Everyone rides and buys what they prefer to ride and buy, it's only backwards because they aren't developing the one YOU prefer.


Hi jbay: not trying to get into a debate, that is why my post included: "to each his own", and was expressing my opinion, hence the words "to me" prefacing my point of view.
I support and accept that other riders have other preferences, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I do maintain, that these preferences usually are not based on experience: very few riders have actually taken the time, and made the effort, required to get a hard boot system dialed to perform optimally, as noted this level of performance is not available with off the shelf gear, it requires careful and considerable modification. I think that most riders would be surprised at the performance level possible with a setup like mine, I have a no compromise set up, not something that rides OK and tours great.
In any case, of course great riders will ride cool lines in all kinds of equipment, I have ridden first descents in both hard and soft boots myself, but with the setup I have now I do not see myself ever riding soft boots again, there just is no need to ride a heavier, less precise setup, subject to strap failure, now that I have a setup with good snowboard style flex.

_________________
Never Summer Prospector 167X, furberg 173 DIY, Dynafit TLT5/6 Mountain , Phantom Bindings, BD Glidelite Skins
Quiver Killer inserts

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:18 pm
Posts: 939
Location: reiter hills
Let's see,

hot girl with approach skis.
hippies in soft boots.
gear heads in hard boots.
My toys are better then your toys.

can we get a snowshoer in here to round it out?!?!


Tell that shit to Tom Burt!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm
Posts: 819
Location: The Belly of Ham baby!!
barrows wrote:
....But I do maintain, that these preferences usually are not based on experience: very few riders have actually taken the time, and made the effort, required to get a hard boot system dialed to perform optimally, as noted this level of performance is not available with off the shelf gear, it requires careful and considerable modification....


Again, its good that we all have our thoughts on what is best. Diversity is an asset!

I'm still a fan of softboots and straps. Being able to get that high level of flexibility out of a setup (in my experience) is critical for maintaining proprioception of your board and the snow. That being said, I'm sure your mods allow for this...

Having numerous options available to the market is a good thing ;)

ale_capone wrote:
Let's see,

hot girl with approach skis.
hippies in soft boots.
gear heads in hard boots.
My toys are better then your toys.

can we get a snowshoer in here to round it out?!?!


Tell that shit to Tom Burt!


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
PROFESSIONAL AMBASSADOR OF STOKE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:57 am
Posts: 1110
Location: Santa Barbara, CA/Ashland, OR
Quote:
But I do maintain, that these preferences usually are not based on experience: very few riders have actually taken the time, and made the effort, required to get a hard boot system dialed to perform optimally, as noted this level of performance is not available with off the shelf gear, it requires careful and considerable modification.


No worries Barrows. Maybe it's time to start a new thread, because I want you to convince me what hardboot setup I should be riding. I did try hardboots and voile plates in the past, but I thought is sucked at descending. I also confess I probably didn't dial it in/mod it in the way you reference here.

So convince me, the fastest lightest high performing on descents as well as touring setup. Please tell me there's something better then voile plates though, I was very unimpressed with those when I tried em. Reply here (I'm gonna post this then start a new thread then edit it to include the link...)

Edit: Utah tells me voile plates rock, I'm open minded on that as well. I was pretty green when I dabbled in hardboots so maybe I didn't have them dialed in like should have.

_________________
"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation."
-Sinclair Lewis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm
Posts: 819
Location: The Belly of Ham baby!!
jbaysurfer wrote:
....
Edit: Utah tells me voile plates rock, I'm open minded on that as well. I was pretty green when I dabbled in hardboots so maybe I didn't have them dialed in like should have.



I'm pretty sure Utah WORKS for Voile. Every post he submits praises the almighty. :guinness:

The value of independent, unbiased dirtbag testers is just that - you get feedback that isn't blinded by $$ signs. The truth shall set you free! :duel:


:bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

_________________
PROFESSIONAL AMBASSADOR OF STOKE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 873
Dam Russman,

I've tried to be respectful this whole time. Now cross posting disses, that's just lame. Go back and read the posts I've submitted over the years, I think you would find about 2% say anything related Voile. Here's my connection to Voile. I ride two DIY splitties made with the Voile split Kit, I have multiple straps/scrapers/extra pins, mtn plates, I've managed to go through two pairs of skins over the last 10 plus years, and I I won a Voile hat at an old splitfest that Voile sponsored way back. But most importantly I know the history Voile and respect it. If you knew the history you would show a whole lot more respect for how this began and where it's come.

How can a guy who's every post is an ad campaign for product not yet on the market make such a comment that's just laughable man. When you used your TR as another add campaign you opened yourself up for this, you talked about an evolution my reason for using the Voile name so much was to make the point THEY WERE THE EVOLUTION. They started it all, show some respect, You don't have to buy there shit.

Edit to add: My love of splitboarding goes way beyond gear. It's the story, the history, the culture, the people, the art, the science,the spirituality. I'll try to post up something that tries to makes sense of this but honestly and thanks to PJ for the comment if you don't understand you just won't understand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 2388
Location: California
:duel:
Zach Jr.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 pm
Posts: 1418
Location: UT
russman wrote:
I'm pretty sure Utah WORKS for Voile. Every post he submits praises the almighty.
UTAH doesn't work for Voile, just like (I'm guessing) you don't work for Jones. Although honestly (as someone else already pointed out) a casual observer would think that you do work for Jones... Does this entire dust up make a little more sense in that context? :scratch: Just ask'n

_________________
Experts tell me I'm not a serious rider; riding boards that are too long with the incorrect boot and binding setup and I'm not having fun...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 873
Be more clear Eco I've already PM'd a couple people about posting icons that make no point. It's weak in my opinion. I remember Zach and his passion for arguing for approach ski's on the splitboard website. I don't make the connection between what I've written except that we had to give that guy a bit of a history lesson. Everyone one that has made comments on this post has bitched in some way, don't make me the easy scape goat. I remember when a group of you had the balls to put up a post to tell people how they should write TR's, now that's just stupid.

If you write a TR be ready to be challenged whether it's justifying why you rode a line or backing up what you write. It's just how it is don't be super sensitive and as someone said in another stupid post "get over it".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 2388
Location: California
Sorry dude. My use of the emcon was supposed to be kinda funny in that Russ' previous post and use of the emcon was baiting and argumentative, like Zach used to be.

I'm all for the banter but definitely think it gets a little old when folks don't self-reflect and defend their point no matter how wrong they are. That's a sure sign of summer.

Honestly, I just wish there was more midget wrestling in my town.

UTAH wrote:
Be more clear Eco I've already PM'd a couple people about posting icons that make no point. It's weak in my opinion. I remember Zach and his passion for arguing for approach ski's on the splitboard website. I don't make the connection between what I've written except that we had to give that guy a bit of a history lesson. Everyone one that has made comments on this post has bitched in some way, don't make me the easy scape goat. I remember when a group of you had the balls to put up a post to tell people how they should write TR's, now that's just stupid.

If you write a TR be ready to be challenged whether it's justifying why you rode a line or backing up what you write. It's just how it is don't be super sensitive and as someone said in another stupid post "get over it".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm
Posts: 819
Location: The Belly of Ham baby!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


And those are very meaningful "LOLs"!

Seriously Utah, can we give it a rest? As you say, splitboarding is about art, science, spirituality etc... and the raddest part of our little community is that we are POSITIVE. I can't even tell you how "disrespectful" it is when I show up in a skatepark and have some old wanker sitting there on his board giving everybody history lessons on why he is important. Its incredibly egotistic....and pathetic.

In no way shape or form have I ever posted a thread that "disrespects the elders", such as Voile. Saying that someone can't post their stoke on a new (and better) binding based on first hand experience with prototypes simply because they aren't released yet is just ridiculous! Maybe you are happy with your 195 Swallowtail, and that is fantastic. I'm happy with a stiffer and more responsive split interface because 50 degree ice is scary as ****!

All else aside this is actually pretty fun. Its like we're all PMSing because there is no pow :)

Utah, when all this chills out we should go ride. It would actually be fun!

Done.

_________________
PROFESSIONAL AMBASSADOR OF STOKE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 873
Quote:
Seriously Utah, can we give it a rest?


I was done Russ until you low blowed me. I don't pretend to be well versed in how the internet works maybe these little games of insulting and goating people and when they respond telling them to give it a rest is the norm. Post TR that gives a false history lesson and then when someone gives different perspective lecture them about how lame it to give history lessons. Use a TR as an advertisement tool for your new binders and then lecture someone else when they throw a companies name out there. Weak in my opinion and down right bizarre. I guess you wanted to call me egotistical and pathetic and I am supposed to sit back and say to myself man the Russ guy is so wise. Don't lecture me about being positive I was and am and have been on this site, this is the most pissed I've ever been and it's mainly because I'm so dam confused by your contradictions.

To all the long time lurkers out there :nononno: . I think wev've managed to create a cool culture in the short time splitting been around. We all share a similar story and passion for mountains. I know when I started by only background knowledge was park laps, halfpipe sessions my only experience in the bc was short boot packs and building kickers. When I started I made some of the same stupid comments about skier being gay, you shoud straightline that, why didn't that guy hit that 50footer, etc that's so common these days. The more I got in the BC learned the unwritten rules and the history of some of the pioneers I got a new perspective. In the snowboard world it's all about your line down. Sik videos out today but most of those guys couldn't give a justification for why they
chose to ride that line and that day or a guide pointed and told them where to go. Splitboarding is different the line you put up is just as important as the line you put down, I hope we don't loose this idea and instead instill that in the younger generations, including the over the weekender barney's who find something new and cool and want to claim it as theres.

One more perspective. Heres a pick of Forrest Shearer, Chris Coulter and Bob Athey from a tour a while back. Bob may not be able to ski worth shit but he's been skiing/splitting since th 70's. He is a pissy old man who put's together tours that could only be described as beautiful. He knows snow. Ask why he's pissy and the story goes "in the 80's someone told me the BC is getting crowded and that if I'm mean to everyone they might go away" I probably killed that but if you know Bob it's funny as hell. I've run into him quite a bit one day was in the summer I came up on him and he was spacing off looking up at the mountains, I said what's up Bob he responded by pointing the slope and saying" see there one guy died and over there another guy was buried". Even in the summer and after 30 years he's still out trying to learn. Another time I was on the up track with him when we came up on some guys using a slope meter Bob's first reply to them was "33 degrees".
Image

I don't expect people to think the story of Craig Kelly, Brett Kobernik, the Wizard, etc are as interesting as I think it is. I know it's "egotistical and pathetic" to raise those guys on pedastool and demand that new comers at least consider there story along with Jeremy Jones and Travis Rice. It's just a perspective.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:39 am
Posts: 352
Location: Durango, CO.
UTAH wrote:
I was done Russ until you low blowed me. I don't pretend to be well versed in how the internet works maybe these little games of insulting and goating people and when they respond telling them to give it a rest is the norm. Post TR that gives a false history lesson and then when someone gives different perspective lecture them about how lame it to give history lessons. Use a TR as an advertisement tool for your new binders and then lecture someone else when they throw a companies name out there. Weak in my opinion and down right bizarre. I guess you wanted to call me egotistical and pathetic and I am supposed to sit back and say to myself man the Russ guy is so wise. Don't lecture me about being positive I was and am and have been on this site, this is the most pissed I've ever been and it's mainly because I'm so dam confused by your contradictions.

To all the long time lurkers out there :nononno: . I think wev've managed to create a cool culture in the short time splitting been around. We all share a similar story and passion for mountains. I know when I started by only background knowledge was park laps, halfpipe sessions my only experience in the bc was short boot packs and building kickers. When I started I made some of the same stupid comments about skier being gay, you shoud straightline that, why didn't that guy hit that 50footer, etc that's so common these days. The more I got in the BC learned the unwritten rules and the history of some of the pioneers I got a new perspective. In the snowboard world it's all about your line down. Sik videos out today but most of those guys couldn't give a justification for why they
chose to ride that line and that day or a guide pointed and told them where to go. Splitboarding is different the line you put up is just as important as the line you put down, I hope we don't loose this idea and instead instill that in the younger generations, including the over the weekender barney's who find something new and cool and want to claim it as theres.

One more perspective. Heres a pick of Forrest Shearer, Chris Coulter and Bob Athey from a tour a while back. Bob may not be able to ski worth shit but he's been skiing/splitting since th 70's. He is a pissy old man who put's together tours that could only be described as beautiful. He knows snow. Ask why he's pissy and the story goes "in the 80's someone told me the BC is getting crowded and that if I'm mean to everyone they might go away" I probably killed that but if you know Bob it's funny as hell. I've run into him quite a bit one day was in the summer I came up on him and he was spacing off looking up at the mountains, I said what's up Bob he responded by pointing the slope and saying" see there one guy died and over there another guy was buried". Even in the summer and after 30 years he's still out trying to learn. Another time I was on the up track with him when we came up on some guys using a slope meter Bob's first reply to them was "33 degrees".

I don't expect people to think the story of Craig Kelly, Brett Kobernik, the Wizard, etc are as interesting as I think it is. I know it's "egotistical and pathetic" to raise those guys on pedastool and demand that new comers at least consider there story along with Jeremy Jones and Travis Rice. It's just a perspective.


Although I refuse to condone shitting in someones TR, no matter the issue in question, I have to say that this post is a bullseye.
You can't know where you're going if you have no idea where you've been.


Nice line Russ. Way to put down a big one while the rest of us are wallowing in mid-summer depression (read: riding bikes and climbing around on dirt and rocks).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group