Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboard Camps 2006
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:58 pm 

Just wanted to run an idea past you all. 8)

What do you think about a Splitboard Camp?

There are all kinds of other camps currently offered…steep skiing, telemark, snowboard, why not a splitboard camp?

I'm interested in partnering with a guide service like Shasta Mountain Guides to offer one or two camps next year.

I think an “Intro to Splitboardingâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:17 pm 

well, sounds like a good idea, although I'd like to see some sort of experience rating or something that would make sure I wouldn't be rehashing old stuff only, rather learning new or furthering the stuff I've been learning along the way.

what kind of guidelines could be set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:00 pm 

Hey bcrider,

I can give you a little background on a similar class I took through Alpine Skills International in Lake Tahoe last spring. It was a 2-day snowboard mountaineering class costing about $300, accomodations and gear not included. You can check out the details at http://www.alpineskills.com. They also guide a Tioga Pass snowboarding trip and a Shasta trip, neither of which I went on.

It is not a splitboard class, per se. They leave it open as to whether you should use snowshoes or a splitboard. My friend and I showed up with snowshoes but our four classmates and the instructor all had splitboards. This is where I learned that snowshoes suck major @ss compared to a splitboard. My friend and I spent the whole first day literally running to catch up with our classmates. The second day my friend dropped out and I rented a split... much better!!

Anyway, I told the instrustor that they MUST start a separate splitboard class because it was so bogus being mixed in with the splitters. The instructor said it was the first time so many split boards had shown up for the class. I think I missed a lot of instruction the first day because it all happened while the class was waiting for me to catch up.

Overall, though, a class was a great way to ease into the backcounty experience and it definitely convinced me to get a splitboard - my new Kyber split arrived a few weeks ago. Before the class, I was thinking of going on the Shasta trip with them later in the Spring, but I decided against it because I figured they would mix snowshoes and splits once again.

Anyway, I acquired enough skills in the class to day-trip comfortably and I learned that splitboarding is where it's at. I probably would be interested in a guided overnight trip up something like Shasta to learn more advanced skills next spring. I wouldn't be as interested in the Heli thing because if I'm paying for a Heli, I'll bring my regular board and it can drop my ass off at the summit! If you do start some classes, definitely try to partner with someone who can help rent out gear. It is so expensive to get everything together if you are unsure about the sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:04 pm 

Sounds good to me. Start small and see what happens. I definetley think there's enough interest in splitboarding but not sure if the prospective newbies would actually lay down the cash, especially when the equipment costs so much to get started. I know skateboard camps do really well and that's the same audience so what do I know.

I contemplated taking a newbie course from Mountain Adventures Seminars from Bear Valley but couldn't get the gumption to spend the dough. Instead, I just milked you guys on the board for info!! :D

Are there Learn How to Tele Camps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:05 pm 

It's a great idea.

I think starting with regional camps (CO, UT, CA, etc) would be a better way to start. I am not sure you will get a very big response from beginner splitters if they have to travel so far, albeit a worthy destination.

It is easy to convince instructors to travel to this type of stuff. Especially, if you create a business out of it so the travel is tax deductible. Also, it is an excuse for the instructors to hit more mountains during the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:53 pm 

Yo mtnrider!

A course rating system and specific description would be mandatory, as you noted. Most camps I've seen offered are described similar to guidebooks, i.e. easy, moderate, and strenuous. In the ASI link that SF added it says you need to be in Very Good physical condition.

The Intro to Splitboarding Camp seems like it would be the camp where you would probably learn the most. There are a lot of questions that arise when you're new to the sport and a splitboard camp could be a productive (and fun) way to learn quickly.

For the Advanced Camp, it's seems a little harder to offer the attendees a reason to go. The advanced folks don't really need tips on how to skin…use poles/axe/crampons, or transition their board etc…

I still believe there are things to be learned however on both the ascent and descent even for advanced riders. I consider myself pretty advanced but I'd love to learn more from folks that are more advanced and have been splitboarding for longer. One of the keys would be to have qualified instructor/s like Jim Zellers, Tom Burt, Stephen Koch, John Griber, etc for the advanced courses.

For the folks that aren't there to learn something and just want to “bag a biggieâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:12 pm 

Thanks for the story about your camp experience SF!

It's cool that you stuck it out. Image how much fun you'd have on one again with your new splitty! Do you remember your instructor's name or contact info?

Good points in the rest of your post. Your right about these courses and camps being a good way to ease in to the backcountry too.

In regards to the Heli Camp, most week long heli packages start at around $5,000. What if a Heli Splitboard camp could offer a week long package with one day of heliboarding at the beginning and end of the trip and 5 days of touring in the middle…for $2,000? It might make the difference in going on an epic trip of a lifetime….or not.

Ecobrad wrote:
Instead, I just milked you guys on the board for info!! :D

8) :lol:
Ecobrad wrote:

Yes…would you like to take one? :P

Mazu,
Agreed on the regional aspect when thinking about the big picture. But in the grassroot stage…starting near home might be the only option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 pm 

Quote:
Ecobrad wrote:

Yes…would you like to take one?

Defintely not! I fall enough boarding, little lone without my heels attached. My point was...if those smelly, granola eating tele folks can cough up the dough, so can the suburb, stoner grommit kid. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:11 am 

Great idea. Especially in Tahoe where proximity to Sacramento and the Bay Area means that there are lots of potential clients with more $s than time. Learning on your own takes a whole lot of time. Packing a good "intro to splits" into a 3-day weekend would be an easy sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:04 pm 

Hey BCR,

My instructor at Alpine Skills was Paul Adams. I think he's the only snowboard instructor there, so he shouldn't be too hard to track down. He's been splitting for several years and he climbs a hill like a freaking animal!

Also, Alpine Skills is affilliated with The Backcountry Store in Truckee. In addition to renting all the usual BC gear (shovel, probe, beacon...) I think they have exactly 3 Split Decision boards available to rent.

In the class I took, we learned skinning, basic routefinding, and basic avalanche safety skills. We also built a snow anchor and belay system for looking over cornices. We were mostly on pretty moderate slopes. In an advanced course, I'd be interested in learning to use an axe and crampons and putting them to use on hairier terrain.

As for the heli idea, it sounds like great fun to me, but my pockets aren't that deep. My wife is amazingly tolerant of my little hobbies, but she'd pop a fuse if she found out I spend 2 grand snowboarding for the weekend. Didn't I tell her that my new splitboard would save money? :wink:

Ecobrad - I did sign up for the telemarking course at Alpine Skills. Sadly, they kicked me out when they found out I don't have a beard and I don't know how to make my own fruit leather... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:20 pm 

Thanks for the info SF!

ps.

SanFrantastico wrote:
I did sign up for the telemarking course at Alpine Skills. Sadly, they kicked me out when they found out I don't have a beard and I don't know how to make my own fruit leather... :P

LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:33 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Mazu,
Agreed on the regional aspect when thinking about the big picture. But in the grassroot stage…starting near home might be the only option.

I can understand the daunting nature of this. However, if we all agree that a regional camp might get more attendence, then it is probably worth coming up with a standardized curricula. It would be a huge headache at first to set up, but it would avoid the growing pains later on as this expands into different regions.

I am currently on the fringe of an effort here in CO to standardize trail building for all government agencies and volunteer groups. It is something that the snow world could use in terms of avy and skills classes.

I've been known to bite off more than I can chew. Start small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:29 pm 

In the WA the Mountaineers (Seattle branch) has a Glacier Travel and Rescue class catered specifically for skiing and snowboarding on glaciers. Might be the first of it's kind? Cool thing is class is only a $100 stones after paying membership dues, which is another 60 or so. Best part is once you complete the course your encouraged to come back and help instruct. There is also talk of adding a route finding/nav portion as well as an advanced class.

Class pretty much covers everything except for cleaning your shorts while your actually dangling in one. :lol:

Oh yeah can't forget the number 1 and 2 rope. Hey everybody Smokey taking a shit back here. Okay I won't tell anyone else.

Don't know how much would apply to what your course would offer but the more info the betta right?