Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mt Adams, N Face, NW Ridge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:05 pm 

Wow, that's the internet for ya. I hope my initial post did not come off as condescending and dickish as yours. If it did I apologize, sometimes it's hard to interpret ones tone.

Quote:
Where on Earth do you get this stuff?

Personally I feel your posts which are most definitely full of excitement and passion write off products that have earned a lot of resepect among the splitboard community. Products that have been evolving for years are tested and found to be legit and paved the road that got us to where we are now.

Quote:
Dude, its all about innovation and evolution

I agree that point must have got lost in translation as well. My arguement was your comment that a evolution has taken place in the last 10 years by riders like you I assume. I was just trying to make the point the evolution began long ago and was motivated by just as much passion and desire to improve. We've come a long way and in the process created a subculture that is incredibly unique. Throw some love to some of those pioneers as well.

Quote:
Have you spent much time with super dialed ski mountaineers? Their gear kicks the shit out of our gear! I don't know about you, but when I'm looking up at a 7000 foot climb it would be nice to have a splitboard setup that weighed less than 16 friggen pounds!

I'm not really like you and BG, I focus less on my gear and more on my riding, fitness, and snow knowledge and I definetly don't compare myself to skiers. Shit your fitness level and mtneerin/touring skills are going to play a bigger role in conquering that 7000 ft climb than the board on your feet or back and when you get the top your riding skills are going to play a bigger role than the board your riding. By the way my DIY splitty/mtn plate/ set up does way less than 16lbs I'm sure.

Quote:
That's great, too. Really, extremely relevant information!

Can't believe you didn't get this one. My point is "everyone" complains about not enough selection of board to meet varying styles. 10 years ago Voile was doing that. It wasn't a trend then as it is now. Companies work by supply and demand. I'm sure Voile was taking hits from their split products at some point but were making huge efforts to give us what we want. Just wasn't peaking at that time, given todays market it would be more realistic. I've talked shit on Voile in the past but always made sure to give them credit when credit is due.

Quote:
Washington is very much UNLIKE Utah, dude. We don't carry handguns in our daypacks!

Our BC culture is truly unique, it's big too, full of eccentrics and crazies. We have unique ways of doing things here. The line you put up will gain you just as much respect as the line you put down. Lines are art and we respect them, it's how you gain respect around here. Our split culture is unique as well. Guys in surf shorts and long underwear split skiing figure 8's with their skier buddies. It's been around for a while. Anyways sorry if you took my post as insulting it meant to be just different perspective, although I was taking sides a little bit. Take Care.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm 

UTAH wrote:
I'm not really like you and BG, I focus less on my gear and more on my riding, fitness, and snow knowledge and I definetly don't compare myself to skiers.

lol, epic :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:36 pm 

UTAH wrote:
Wow, that's the internet for ya. I hope my initial post did not come off as condescending and dickish as yours. If it did I apologize, sometimes it's hard to interpret ones tone.

Your initial post came off as very condescending and dickish. Russman posted a great and very respect worthy TR and you went after him for things he said about different splitboard equipment manufacturers because it differs from how you see things. Each rider will have their preferences, get over it.

The response you got from him was well deserved.

Buell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:46 pm 

Utah, let the dude be stoked on his gear, I'm stoked on my MojoRX and Fuses too. It was a great TR, the rest is kinda distracting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:10 pm 

Sorry for the thread drift guys, no off topic discussion can take away from that absolutely sick, beautiful line with the passionate story to match. I guess I deserve every bit of it. I got look at how I post things maybe take a step back when I'm not as passionate about disagreeing with what I read.

Quote:
Your initial post came off as very condescending and dickish. Russman posted a great and very respect worthy TR and you went after him for things he said about different splitboard equipment manufacturers because it differs from how you see things. Each rider will have their preferences, get over it.

Used to be you were ready to back up you wrote down and you could have a good, constructive discussion. I remember way back on the coulior forum we would debate the most petty things, they got heated but everyone stayed civil and they typically ended with something that helped innovate and evolve splitboarding. I was just trying to give a different perspective sorry if it came off wrong or distracted anyone from that sick line. Maybe splitboard.com is no longer the place to debate views.

Quote:
The good news is that within the past 10 years the discipline of splitboarding has undergone fantastic evolution with the beginning of Spark R&D (.com) and the mainstreaming of rider-built splitboards. Despite these great advances, a few of us are still wanting more. Namely soft-boot binding stiffness and responsiveness, touring edging performance, and as light weight and sexy as possible. I mean, skiers get Dynafits, and splitboarders need something as revolutionary!

Followed by...

Quote:
Enter Karakoram (.com): “Innovate, Ride, Explore

Last thing just because I'm feeling mis-understood, and feel bad my post did not create the constructive discussion I was hoping it would and feel bad taking away from the amazing TR. " Enter Karakoram.com" but let's not write off like this post slightly/strongly suggest those products that are currently on the market helping everyone but me but I still love them and our inspired by their sacrifices, take care everyone. Oh yeah and don't forget the evolution that came before the sparks, I think it was Voile, Prior. Never Summer, local legends splitting their own, I think Winterstick was in the game, etc. Looking forward to the post on the next objective, holy shit that looks sick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 pm 

Great TR Russman!!! As for the rest of the posts... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:19 am 

Style and conditions are far more important then the equipment your on. I see it all the time, some gaper on a way too big board with a wack stance standing up all straight and stiff. With a snowboard you are strapped in and a person can get down a gnarly line lookin goofy as hell,(that doesnt meen they slayed it) Go Sk8 some tranny and you will learn correct body positioning real fast. Check out Ralston snowskates those guys are droppin Echo Summit on snowskates, they wont even get on a board with bindings. Or buy some expensive setup, if you think that will make you ride better then I have some products to sell you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:48 pm 

Nice. I love Mt. adams,hope to see the top some day

very knarles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:42 am 

I get a kick out of reading the statement "it's all about the rider not the gear". There is no way a guy on a pair of 2x4's will ever out ride a guy on technically advanced gear. That being said, I also laugh inside every time I see some inexperienced guy who just dropped a fortune on the most expensive gear and just shits all over the mountain. Hahahaha Some of these posts are just too damn funny!!!

Anyways, looking forward to riding with you Russman in the seasons to come. I am currently working with BG and the local snowboard manufacturer to have a mold made for a new production splitty choice to add to their collection. This board will be lighter than any other production split and cost far less than any of the competition. I'll have to talk to Bryce and Tyler about possibly adding their full or partial setup as an option with these boards. Feel free to give them heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:54 am 

Is a splitboard really a piece of technically advanced gear? Cut your own board in half and see how stoner friendly the voile kit is. I will have to say the voile mojo is the closest thing to a stiff 2X4 that Ive ever saw There is video of Kelly Slater surfing a Door and a coffee table. Some of the best riders ive seen out are getting it on broken and beat gear. if its not about the riding and the rider, then what is it all about?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:24 am 

All good. Nothing wrong with a good debate in the right forum.

As far as Utah and Russman, you're both good dudes IMO, and BGnights 8k line on Shasta a month or so ago stands on it's own :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:42 am 

aksltxlt wrote:
Is a splitboard really a piece of technically advanced gear?

I think you might be kidding yourself if you think your DIY splitty is devoid of years of testing and engineering. Even your self-cut Never Summer is the result of years of board evolution.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:50 am 

Gotta love an American company with a quality product, thank you Never Summer, And Russ I was just trying to point out how simple the splitboard really is. I believe the more complicated a product gets, the more problems will occur. Work is flying by today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next