Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Father's Day TR 2010
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:42 pm 

Here's some pics from one of the most memorable Father's Days in my 15 years of being a dad. It was a great day and my son Skyler reminded me (yet again) how lucky I am.

The Echo Boat Taxi trip has become an annual tradition this time of the year and to combine it with Father's Day was an obvious win for me. We hooked up with some old friends jimt3 and nils....and met a new one too, ACwithFT.

Sky loading up our gear in the boat

On the boat in route to the goods

The zone

Sky on the trail

Jimt3 and nils on the log crossing

ACwithFT

Sky hiking with the big boys

Hiking the steep lower slope before switching to skins

Looking at the line

Back to booting for the scramble to the ridge

Dad

Stopping by the drinking fountain

On the bootpack, almost to the ridge

Sky topping out with the help of dual whippets and under the careful watch of jimt3 and ACwithFT

On top father and son stoked

No time to waste, nils does the honors

Solei (sp?) in hot pursuit

jimt3 is next

Followed by Skyler

Dad is next

And ACwithFT is the caboose

Down at the pond, Dad shows the crew how it's done

The skiers wanted no part of the pond skimming (rightfully so), ACwithFT make a dry run but couldn't pull the trigger, and Sky was up for the challenge. After making it through the hardest part of the in-run (suncup hell) he had the speed to make the skim but I didn't set him up very well on the exact spot to enter the pond. Long story short he took the wrong spot and got spit into the pond and the last minute. Dad was nervous anyway of him hitting and seeing him go down didn't help the blood pressure. Luckily the water broke his fall even though it was only a foot deep. It could have been way worse.

Soaking wet and a little beat up Sky tried 2 more times but couldn't get through the in-run to get another chance at the pond. I was still proud as could be for his effort and we've now named the bowl and pond "Skyler's". :)

His trophy for the day.

Looking back at our tracks

Still smiling we camera battle

And pick our way back down to the snowline

Wildflower on the way out

Back at the stream crossing

Cheers at the dock (Sky coulda joined with a Dr Pepper but he was too tired in the morning to grab one (teenagers)

Our taxi

Back at the dock we saw this old cool boat, mount a snowboard rack and we'd be in business

Jimt3 was stoked to meet Sky and proud of his hiking/riding efforts too so he treated up to ice cream. Thanks jim!

Back at home we had a great Father's Day BBQ with the rest of the family and reveled in our day together. It was interesting to see Sky enjoy being with other folks beside dad in the mountains. He really had a great time which let to me having a great time too.

I couldn't have asked for a better father's day, thanks Sky, Haley, and Mrs bcrider! :thatrocks:

Post subject: Re: Father's Day TR 2010
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 pm 

nice TR Chris! I had a blast with you guys out there - such a cool experience taking the boat out to the hike/skin, getting some fun turns in and then taking a boat back.

At some point, I'll have to pond skim with ya - those rocks under the surface got in my head a bit (even before Sky's go) but it looks super fun and your shots from it are sweet.

I gotta get you a couple of clips from the little cam I had out there...

So I said to him, "Look buddy, your car was upside-down when we got here. And as for your grandmother, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that." HJS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:35 pm 

Hey Chris, what a great father's day!!! I hope I didnt steal too much of your thunder but with my 17 yr old daughter off at summer camp and my father's day put off a week I had Sky to help me appreciate what fathers day is all about. I know you were beaming all day but I also got a feel for it when I got to set a bootpack on the lower face when Sky was having a little problem getting traction and even grabbing his arm and pulling him up the last step at the top of Skyler Bowl. What a great feeling having your kids follow in your footsteps. I remember my daughter's first time on skiis at 11 months old and her first run down a double diamond. You cant fully explain what a great feeling it is. Great pics, great day, great fun and great icecream.....jim p.s. hey AC, you need to post some vid or stills of Sky's pond experience. Once we knew he was okay it was a thing to behold and I think everyone else would appreciate it!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 pm 

strike it when its hot. :thatrocks:

it's usually the summer Deso TR's with Skyler swimming. :wink:

is that the best conditions you've seen once the taxi started running?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 am 

Awesome guys! Lots of SNOW. :disco: