Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JUNE 19,20 ECHO LAKE BOAT TAXI, FATHERS DAY AND BOWL NAMING
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:10 pm 

Fathers day weekend turned out to be any eventful riding weekend for me. With my daughter out of town at summer camp my fathers day was pushed off for another week allowing me to make the most out of the boat taxi at echo lake. Arriving early at the boat dock on Saturday I was greeted by brisk winds and a chilly start to the day. Figuring I was going solo as usual I was greeted by the sight of 3 other skiers with the same thing on their minds. Jeff, John and Tony invited me to join them and I offered to share with them some route finding. I even gave up the "secret" location of the LOG which I always use to cross the river. My biggest mistake was letting them talk me into walking instead of skinning. Other than that faux pas it wasnt long before we were on the summit of Baldy preparing for the first descent. I was a little surprised when John removed his hat and put on his goggle cam thus exposing his Glen Plake mohawk. After a nice ride to the bottom of Baldy they decided to boot up the unnamed bowl between Baldy and Ralston Peak while I opted for a mellower climb back up the flanks to ski Baldy bowl. After descending back down the bowl I watched their boot pack up the unnamed bowl and great lines down. We met up later in the flats and hiked back to the boat where I was lucky enough to get invited over to Jeff's house for a brew. It was nice to meet some good people and find some new ski buddies....jim

Post subject: Re: JUNE 19,20 ECHO LAKE BOAT TAXI, FATHERS DAY AND BOWL NAMING
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:31 pm 

To continue the above post, Sunday was to be an even better day. Sunday morning AC and Nils whom I met here showed up at the dock with Chris and his son Skylar. We all did our greetings and hit the taxi for the ride across the lake. Cameras were going off everywhere with Chris ( splitboard.com) and AC ( firsttracks productions ) having all the cool equipement. After some discussion we headed for the LOG and eventually unnamed bowl. After some skinning we threw the gear on our backs and headed up the bootpack supplied but my crew from the day before. It was my biggest bootpack ever even though the rest of the guys viewed it as a molehill. Once on top I was the lucky guy to pull Skylar up and over with Chris right behind. After some great turns on the way down and watching Skylar surf under the big cornice, intentionally I think, we hit the bottom for some pond skimming. Chris showed everyone how it was done and I got to see my first live pond skimming. Skylar was next in line and had at least 4 cameras on him. What they recorded was the first backcountry baptisimal ever at echo lake. I would try to explain but I know Chris will have the photographic proof coming shortly to this site. I can only say that unnamed bowl is now oficially named "SKYLAR'S BOWL". Great fathers day, great new friends, and great riding for June 19-20.......jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 am 

Good write up Jim! Its funny to think that you and I met the same way at the Echo boat taxi close to 7 or 8 years ago now. And its cool to still see you there every year since. Also fun to see Nils who I've known for equally as long and meet AC as well. I love the area and even though Skyler has been hiking in the area for years with me it was so rewarding to see him hike and ride it. He was really fired up on the trip afterwards and had a lot of fun. He enjoyed having other people there than just Dad and was stoked to meet and hang out with you!

Thanks again for the shakes and ice cream too! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:35 am 

Hey Jim

Thanks for the guiding services it sure made our day easy as far as route finding goes. Sorry we were to lazy to put our skins on, not the first time this year I carried skins, ski and boot crampons and never pulled them out.

You saying you post in this forum got me to revisit and post for the first time after signing up 5 years ago, but then again it's not a planker forum :D

Been cool to see Chris and Nils again and I believe I've met AC at Heavenly a couple times (if he's the one Nils carried his Snowboard up Trimmer for him one time this winter)

Look forward to skiing with you again
Cheers
Jeff

I posted some pics in the Echo boat taxi thread, but I'll repost them here

We hit both of the lines in the background off Baldy

Jim get's skinny

Then we decided to hit up Ralston.
Some Pyramid Beta
Bowl between Baldy and Ralston

Hell yea, not just summer turns for the hell of it but some pretty decent quality skiing
Back down to the flats for a 30 minute hike back to the boat taxi
Found Lunch on the way home