Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CARSON PASS TO CRATER LAKE JUNE 4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:03 am 

My first turns in June were to be a two car ordeal. We dropped a car up the road to crater lake and parked the other at the top of Carson Pass. Hoping for some new snow up high we were greeted with light rain at the parking area at 8500ft. Undaunted we skinned up from the parking area unsure of what was to unfold. It was soon clear rain was going to be with us for a while. I had a rain poncho in my pack for years never thinking i would be using it. It was soon put to use and up we went. When we hit the ridge around 9500ft we entered the slipstream. The wind was howling at 40-50 sustained gusting to 60-70. We were pretty wet but the wind dried us out even though it continued to rain. At this point the snow ran out we walked for about a mile on dry ground up to around 10k. Luckily the wind was at our backs so it we had a boost up to the top. Of course one we reached the top we were in the clouds with about 100yds vis. At this point a debate ensued on what was the way down. I said right, my buddy said left, so we compromised down the middle. Its funny how familiar terrain can look so different when you cant see 2 ft in front of you. I was right, we should have went right into the abyss but we did end up halfway between Red Lake Peak and Stevens Peak looking down to crater lake. Seeing a familiar site was a comforting feeling even though we were above a large cliff face. Once we skirted that we skied down to the lake on perfectly smooth snow enhanced by the rain. I was surprised how good the riding was. Skiing past the lake we continued toward the car where the snow ran out and we had about a quarter mile to walk. When we hit the car within 2 minutes the sun came out and we could view the terrain we had skied. Wow, only 5 and a half hours of climbing, rain, and wind and riding. Am i glad to be back home. Am i going to do this again next week....you bet....jim

Post subject: Re: CARSON PASS TO CRATER LAKE JUNE 4
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 am 

Haha! Nice!

Edit: I see this is NOT the crater lake I thought it was :-)

Post subject: Re: CARSON PASS TO CRATER LAKE JUNE 4
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:58 pm 

I dont think i will ever have the legs to reach the other crater lake. This one was hard enough for me and it was only 3 or 4 miles