Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sentury splitboard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 am 

That was a DIY that Monk split. For the video of how Ben wrecked the board check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8811

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 am 

I can comfortably say "that is not our stick!" I believe what he meant to say is that his board broke, and now he's looking into one of ours. If that's true just let me know, broken boards are a heart break, and I will be glad to give you a bro deal to get you back on your feet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 pm 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
Sorry, I'm not following. is that a Sentury board, or did you break somwthing else and are now thinking of buying a Sentury? Either way, that board is toasted!

yeah that broken board was a rome notch 168 that monk split for me. truly a beautiful board and i'm sad to see it go... but it really was a tad too big for riding anything other than deep pow. when i found myself doing tours on my snowshoes just so i could ride a 160, i realized it might be time to consider getting another splitboard.

and after a day of riding with ken and justin bender (both on sentury splits), i was trying to find the funds to pick one up for this "summer" in new zealand. well now i got my excuse! ben & alex--i'll be in touch... (and thanks for the offer of a deal--i'll certainly show off your work all over the southern alps of new zealand and try to drum up some customers down there for y'all).

(side note, that's the second rome notch i saw broken this season... not that it's anything but coincidence.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:43 am 

bs. wrote:
(side note, that's the second rome notch i saw broken this season... not that it's anything but coincidence.)

Right....the kind of guy riding a Rome Notch 168 is the kind of guy snowboards hate.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:00 am 

getting back to this topic a little late.... i broke my notch custom splitboard on my penultimate weekend as a tahoe resident, with one big chute still on my checklist for the season and a storm on the way. fortunately, sentury came through and offered to let me take a couple of their boards out to demo. the full trip report is here.

friday, i took a backcountry 162 out to carson pass in conditions that ranged from warming powder to soft windslabs. i set the board up with the bindings as far apart as they'd go, giving me a stance about 23" wide and i believe about 40mm set back, similar to how my notch was set up. we started out with a run through a bad ass rock garden:

my track is the rightmost one. the run included a couple of nice 10-15 airs and a bunch of turns in high density powder. the balance of the board was perfect--i've never felt so comfortable landing drops on a new board before. with the highly directional shape and setback stance, the board floated well with minimal leaning back, and i got the feeling that i could ride this 162 in much lighter and drier snow. the only time i felt awkward on the BC was when i tried to ride it switch, which obviously is not what it's designed for.

i was even more excited to take out the brand new dimesion 165 splitboard the next day. according to sentury, this board features a similar flex profile and sidecut shape as the BC, except that the stance and sidecut are more centered. i was able to test out this board on a rather challenging line that i've been eyeing all season long--liberty chute on the dana plateau.

the board performed amazingly on the steep, firm, and technical descent. the edge hold was aggressive enough to give confidence as i picked my way through the narrow upper chute, but not too grabby once things widened out and i was able to stop doing jump turns and start carving. the flex seemed just about perfect for my 150 lbs and preference for stiff boards.

the remarkably light weight of the dimension made it easy to spin in the soft snow below the chute, and a pleasure to carry on my back as i hiked up 3rd pillar chute. it spun easily through a 360 off a small windlip and was super fun to slide through surface spins in the low-angle brush field at the end of the run. for a board only 3cm shorter than what i'm used to riding, it felt more manuverable and much lighter.

in short, i couldn't have picked a run more representative of the conditions under which i demand performance from my gear (ie when my life depends on it) and i am completely stoked to add this board to my quiver. if i didn't need the ability to ride switch, i would probably go with the shorter BC board, but based on my riding style, i'm willing to trade a little extra weight and size in exchange for the ability to ride either way.

i visited the sentury shop soon after and was impressed with both the quality of their work and their enthusiasm for the sport and their products. i can't speak for everyone's experience, but i cannot imagine a company i'd feel more enthusiastic about doing buisness with.

i can't wait to shred new zealand on my new dimension. thanks, guys!!!