Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakoram?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 pm 

What's the ballpark pricing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 am 

Just to echo what everyone else has already related, stoked to see more innovation in the splitboard world. It's only going to make it easier and safer to get to the places we want to go.

I'm wondering if anyone who's used the Karakoram system can speak to the conversion from touring to riding mode. In the video it looks like you anchor one half of the board in the snow or against something, then manipulate the other board half with both hands to clip the two halves together. I'm wondering how easy this will be in really light snow, adverse conditions, or on a steep face.

Is there a way to mate or seat the two board halves together by holding a board half in each hand (ala the Voile system) before clipping them together? Seems like that might help make the transitions faster, but not sure since I haven't had any hands on experience with the Karakoram system. Opinions/Observations?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:35 am 

On the clipping the boards together there are 2 ways to do this. Since I have the Voile setup I was used standing the boards upright together on the tips and either clipping the nose on or if the Karakorum clips were lined up clipping those on. Once you get 1 clip on the rest follow suit really quickly. The other method is what Bryce and Tyler do by laying 1 board on its side, the one with the clips, sunk into the snow a bit and mating them together. This is supposedly easier and quicker and I've seen Tyler do this in nipple deep powder with no issues (yes we do get it that deep now and again in the PNW!)

I've kept the Karakorum clips on my board after giving back the bindings as it pulls the boards together super tight unlike the china clips which are all loosey goosey.

Glad to see some positive feedback from all the Cali folk, everyone whose ridden the bindings up here has been stoked too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:09 am 

Thanks for the info! It makes sense that you'd be able to match the two halves up, then stick the tail or nose in the snow and do up the clips. Glad to hear some positive experience with it. Wonder if they'll be selling their system parts individually? Wonder how many folks would want to replace the china clips on their Voile system with the Karakoram clips?

Flying Scotsman: After seeing 10 feet of snow fall on Mt Hood between the end of March / beginning of April, I don't doubt the deep stuff falls in the PNW! Let me know if you're ever in the Portland area and maybe we can do a quick tour on Hood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:58 am 

zenaloha wrote:
.......Wonder how many folks would want to replace the china clips on their Voile system with the Karakoram clips?.......

Personally, I can't wait to ditch my China clips! The clamps hold the skis together with very high active engagement forces. The china clips just "sit" next to each other and still wiggle all over the place. Active engagement is the answer!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 pm 

Are the crampons gonna be attached to the bottom of the binding like ALL ski crampons are? Please say yes.
The biggest drawback (and it's a big one) of mr chomps is they just sit there dragging on the snow when you lift your heel. Makes no sense :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:40 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Are the crampons gonna be attached to the bottom of the binding like ALL ski crampons are? Please say yes.
The biggest drawback (and it's a big one) of mr chomps is they just sit there dragging on the snow when you lift your heel. Makes no sense :scratch:

The prototype bindings I saw at the Baker splitfest had cramps that attached to the bottom of the bindings!

No need for skepticism about the binding and interface. The level of thoughtful, evidence-based engineering is incredible...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 pm 

russman wrote:
Personally, I can't wait to ditch my China clips! The clamps hold the skis together with very high active engagement forces. The china clips just "sit" next to each other and still wiggle all over the place. Active engagement is the answer!

+1

It would be more then willing to shell out a few bucks for the clamps to replace the china clips.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:02 pm 

BGnight wrote:

Like Russman said, the current crampon attaches to the base of the binding. Bryce and I are still tweaking the design to get the right amount of engagement with and without the risers up. Should have it dialed soon :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:57 pm 

Siiiick. Those are gonna look so purty on my new Jones solution :drool:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:10 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Siiiick. Those are gonna look so purty on my new Jones solution :drool:

Holy crap, welcome to the club!! SOOOOOOOO incredibly stoked!

I may or may not know of a guy who got the chance to demo a Solution mounted with the Karakoram binding, and boy oh boy it may have been the highest performing splitboard setup EVAAAAAAR!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 am 

@ russmann - pictures :mrgreen:

burton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 am 

BGnight wrote:

Mr Chomps can be used in floating and fixed settings for ski/split crampons....fixed (attached to the board), and floating (floating between board and binding). They also offer two height settings. In fixed the crampon drags through the snow and I agreed is less than ideal. Essentially you have to lift the ski with every step. People have argued in the past that while this is a disadvantage for long stretches the added grip of the fixed setting is good for ultimate security. The floating setting is different in that it drags on top of the snow a little when you unweight your ski and slide it forward. This is how the old Burton ones word and how the Voile and other ski crampons work (along with a free setting that attaches to the binding.

As for the Karakoram binding, I was hoping to try some before the end of the season but haven't heard back yet. Any word on a demo set for little old me Tyler and Bryce?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next